Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asaffgael

Wasn't Matthew BS he is on the Derry panel. Think it was Calum

Would ye whist

Did the Aldergrove game not take place last night, can't see a result up for it?

country bumpkin

Quote from: asaffgael on May 04, 2023, 04:14:05 PM

Jeez take more than a few Downeys to win a senior championship ffs...
Those who believe toddle over to Paddy Power and grab the 10/1on offer....

Paddy pays little attention to this board.....

imtommygunn

Quote from: Would ye whist on May 04, 2023, 04:30:52 PM
Did the Aldergrove game not take place last night, can't see a result up for it?

Me neither on either social media site and nothing saying it was off. Would assume the result would be up by now if it had been played.

Saffsof82

Bit of chat around league restructure, div 1 10 teams, that would change a lot I think, a fair margin for error and also experiment at the current time in a 13 team league, bring it down to 10 would change a lot of managers outlooks

ck

Quote from: Saffsof82 on May 04, 2023, 10:10:19 PM
Bit of chat around league restructure, div 1 10 teams, that would change a lot I think, a fair margin for error and also experiment at the current time in a 13 team league, bring it down to 10 would change a lot of managers outlooks

Div.1 and Div.2 should be 10 teams each. 13 far too many. Covid was the excuse for the uneven number and no relegation in 20 and 21.
Get back to 10 teams and see much more competitive divisions with every game a fight to stay up.

ck

Quote from: country bumpkin on May 04, 2023, 09:31:04 PM

Lavey remain favs for Antrim SFC with bookies. The Downeys have transformed St.Brigids already and only half of them have played so far.
Still can't quite believe Seamus and Henry let this happen.

themac_23

Quote from: ck on May 04, 2023, 11:06:53 PM
Quote from: Saffsof82 on May 04, 2023, 10:10:19 PM

Div.1 and Div.2 should be 10 teams each. 13 far too many. Covid was the excuse for the uneven number and no relegation in 20 and 21.
Get back to 10 teams and see much more competitive divisions with every game a fight to stay up.

I think with the way we are with so many dual clubs and so many games to fit in without county players the 12 team division is dead on. Teams pick up points before the split then when the split comes with full panels you give teams a better chance to stay up and aren't being hampered too much without county players.

If we go to 10 teams there's less room for error and the teams fighting to stay up will be far less likely to want to play without their county players and rightly so.

Caesar

Quote from: country bumpkin on May 04, 2023, 09:31:04 PM

I wouldn't be so quick to underestimate them come Championship. I believe they have been performing well below their potential for a number of years. They have a few boys (example: the Finnegan twins) who seemed to raised their game too. Add a handful of quality players drafted in from Lavey to strengthen the line-up and they need to be taken seriously.

Having said that, it remains to be seen the impact drafting in a bunch of outsiders will have.

Stillwater2

Agrove vs Sarsfields match abandoned with 15 minutes to play, serious injury to one of the Sarsfields lads.

Agrove were 1 up with the Paddies clawing it back from 8 down.

bannside

Agree with that Caesar. There is an obvious upside in terms of additional quality, as the saying goes a rising tide lifts all boats.

The downside, a clatter of players who have gone through the club development system, dedicated club families over the years,  some will miss out on match selection...maybe even squad selection....and the fall out from that might not be pretty.

The Meenagh lad in midfield looks decent too, only a fool would suggest they won't be a serious threat come championship time.

InnocentByStander

Quote from: bannside on May 05, 2023, 10:56:33 AM
Agree with that Caesar. There is an obvious upside in terms of additional quality, as the saying goes a rising tide lifts all boats.

The downside, a clatter of players who have gone through the club development system, dedicated club families over the years,  some will miss out on match selection...maybe even squad selection....and the fall out from that might not be pretty.

The Meenagh lad in midfield looks decent too, only a fool would suggest they won't be a serious threat come championship time.

I will believe it when I see it.

imtommygunn

Yeah I would say even if they are very good then it's a bit early. It'll still be the same teams come championship time bar a big surprise.

Milltown Row2

There is an argument that if you are a reserve player or not a first team player then you are not really going to improve the team, if you are a first team player then you should be fighting for your position anyways, competition for places is healthy, it will always bring a team on, and its a squad game now anyways, all 5 subs should be introduced to improve the team as it gets to the end of the match.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Saul goodman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 05, 2023, 12:24:22 PM

There is an argument that if you are a reserve player or not a first team player then you are not really going to improve the team, if you are a first team player then you should be fighting for your position anyways, competition for places is healthy, it will always bring a team on, and its a squad game now anyways, all 5 subs should be introduced to improve the team as it gets to the end of the match.

must be a kick in teeth for other lads who will inevitably get less or no game time. Drafting in so many players from an away club is wrong and should not be permissible and sets a bad precedent. That said I still don't tho they will win a championship they have come up short in the 1/4 and group stages the last few years