Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barnish oggie

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 26, 2023, 08:54:20 AM
Quote from: barnish oggie on April 26, 2023, 08:47:20 AM
There must be something about technique as on Sunday we had 1 player blew up 3 times for throwing and the opposition didn't even call it any of those 3 times.

I will be honest, the first one i wasn't sure about but the second two i could see clearly and there was a definite striking action so i don't believe they should have been frees.

Cost us in the end as we lost by 3 (a result you would have been happy to see MR2!) and the opposition scored from 2 of those frees, which had also broke up attacks that we were on which could have lead to a score.

Strange thing was, he was the only player in the whole game blew up for it and was only a second half sub, so he needs to work on his execution as obviously the ref didn't agree with it!

Yeah I heard it was a tight enough game and as you say these things can 'swing' for you or against you but the ref won't get every foul regardless if its a bad hand pass or a tug of the shirt, there are at times 6 or 7 people in those rucks so its not easy to spot things, but sure when you are standing on the sideline or at the far end of the pitch its easier to see these things  ;D

Going forward it seems to be the best position at the ground to officiate the game  ;D

I think my main gripe was two he was blew up for weren't even in a ruck.

He was in clear space and had no reason to throw.

Again, maybe technique needs improved but to me one was definitely not a throw, the other harder to call but definitely no benefit of the doubt given.

The third was in a ruck so the ref was a lot closer than I was so i will give him that.

Antrim Coaster

Quote from: NAG1 on April 26, 2023, 09:19:26 AM
Quote from: Antrim Coaster on April 26, 2023, 09:05:03 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on April 24, 2023, 10:54:26 AM
Quote from: Saffrongael on April 24, 2023, 10:50:15 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on April 24, 2023, 10:39:49 AM
Unfortunate not to take the win at the weekend. The lads gave it absolutely everything.

Some strange tactical elements from our side, but that's the manager's prerogative. Hopefully can take a bit of confidence from this forward into the other games.

In what way NAG1? I give us more than a fighting chance this weekend. I think Wexford are very average

Dublin were probably bang average too and we had them at home.

Found it strange selection of the first substitution to replace NE, just from a positional and tactical POV.

Puck out strategy was another one I couldn't understand.

Look I'm not trying to be negative because the team gave absolutely everything and commitment was there in spades, it's just a few things that I didn't get watching on.

He went over on his ankle in front of the Antrim mentors.

::) ::) ::)

That part wasn't the issue. He was clearly unable to continue...read again.

Just highlighting that he went over on his ankle was the reason he went off.

Re puck outs, I agree 100%.

Constant puck outs down Antrim's left wing in the second half against the breeze where Dublin had copped on to this and a few of their players had drifted to that side therefore outnumbering the Antrim midfielders / half forwards.

One of these puck outs resulted in a turnover where Dublin played the ball down their right, fed the ball into Donal Burke who drilled it into the net.

Antrim's puck out strategy when they go short really puts the fear into me.

Rarely is the ball pucked to the hand, resulting in the recipient having to readjust his stance and losing vital seconds. Remember the Joe McDonagh match v Offaly in Corrigan last year where 2 goals were conceded as a result of poor puck outs.

Milltown Row2

First match and we have a point. we'll get it tougher in the other games and the big test will be Westmeath, It great that we are discussing that drawing with a team that the last few years has been in a 'tier' above us, we could be playing in a lower end competition but now we are looking forward to competing with teams in Leinster.

Was a dreadful day weather wise for both teams and it ebbed and flowed in different directions but when it mattered we held on and got something other than a glorious defeat. Lets be half full rather than half empty!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

Any word on the team for tomorrow?

Milltown Row2

Maskey in seems to be the only change
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 28, 2023, 12:13:33 PM
Maskey in seems to be the only change

There could be something in this game for Antrim if they get a good start and rattle Wexford. The home crowd will be on them if things look to be going poorly.

Saffrongael

Wexford have put up a big score here so far
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

imtommygunn

Final score Wexford 1-30 Antrim 1-26. Ten points down at a time too. Don't know much about how the game panned out but that was down in Wexford and when Wexford were well up it could have been a hammering but wasn't so definitely, despite defeat, some positives to take.

Saffrongael

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 29, 2023, 07:41:29 PM
Final score Wexford 1-30 Antrim 1-26. Ten points down at a time too. Don't know much about how the game panned out but that was down in Wexford and when Wexford were well up it could have been a hammering but wasn't so definitely, despite defeat, some positives to take.

I'm not sure at this stage of the teams development there are any positives in defeat & when the opposition scores 1-30, this is a game they would have been targeting & rightly so
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Saffrongael on April 29, 2023, 07:45:13 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on April 29, 2023, 07:41:29 PM

I'm not sure at this stage of the teams development there are any positives in defeat & when the opposition scores 1-30, this is a game they would have been targeting & rightly so

It was a 4 point handicap bet, that's how it panned out. Wexford have given us some trimmings in championship in the past and we have improved but this is possibly another chance not taken... we need a great start to put teams on the back foot, Wexford had a great start to the half and while we pegged them back they finished strong. I'm the second half Antrim were well on top, just couldn't bring that lead back and get in front.

It's always been about staying in the senior championship. We ain't going to win the thing but gaining and keeping promotion allows us to develop further

themac_23

No promotion in any of the hurling leagues this year? Surely that can't be right? What incentive does that give to teams, surely they would deserve a play off at the very least

saffman

I heard bottom relegated

Winner of each division plays 2nd bottom in a playoff

This is to correct the no relationship during covid

johnnycool

Quote from: themac_23 on May 03, 2023, 04:26:03 PM
No promotion in any of the hurling leagues this year? Surely that can't be right? What incentive does that give to teams, surely they would deserve a play off at the very least

It is right, I'm presuming it was agreed by the clubs in Antrim.

One team relegated from Div1, two from Div2 and 1 from Div3.

NAG1

Quote from: johnnycool on May 03, 2023, 04:36:54 PM

Not sure this would be correct, open to challenge though.

johnnycool

Quote from: NAG1 on May 04, 2023, 09:14:35 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on May 03, 2023, 04:36:54 PM

Not sure this would be correct, open to challenge though.

Each club has CB delegates, no?

This would have needed voting through at a CB meeting.