Kevin Moran - only man to win All Ireland and FA Cup ?

Started by SuperMac, December 30, 2007, 01:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperMac

Just wondering, is Kevin Moran the only man to win All Ireland Senior ('76, '77) and an FA Cup medal ( '83, '85 ). Pretty good collection of medals for any man. Or if not a major soccer medal, then maybe an international Boxing title, Rugby, Golf, whatever, along with an All Ireland Senior ?

magickingdom

kevin moran is the only one... tadgh kennely has a premiership with the sydney swans and will be collecting an ai medal with kerry in 2011! ;)

redcard

He was also the first player ever to be sent off in the FA Cup Final for fouling Peter Reid.

orangeman

SuperMac

Quote from: redcard on December 30, 2007, 05:28:49 PM
He was also the first player ever to be sent off in the FA Cup Final for fouling Peter Reid.

In all fairness, that was an extremely bad decision ( and I'm not a Man Ure fan btw ).  Still, Norman Whiteside got a great winner, the image of Moran celebrating on the touchline is still with me. Think there was also a bit of controversy as he was not awarded his medal on the podium like the rest, as I think it was some sort of bi rule that if you got sent off on the winning side in an FA cup final, you would not be awarded your medal on the day by the FA officals but later from your club ? 

Hurler on the Bitch

Back then the medal was worth 300 quid but he was not supposed to get one, so was snubbed on the day. I think The Sun - anti Irish bastards - mounted a campaign and the FA agreed that he get the medal.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on December 31, 2007, 01:25:38 PM
Back then the medal was worth 300 quid but he was not supposed to get one, so was snubbed on the day. I think The Sun - anti Irish bastards - mounted a campaign and the FA agreed that he get the medal.

I'm no fan of The Sun newspaper but is that not a contradiction? An Anti-Irish newspaper as you say campaigning for a Irish soccer player to get his FA Cup medal?

You'll Never Walk Alone.

J70

Quote from: SuperMac on December 31, 2007, 01:21:33 PM
Quote from: redcard on December 30, 2007, 05:28:49 PM

In all fairness, that was an extremely bad decision ( and I'm not a Man Ure fan btw ).  Still, Norman Whiteside got a great winner, the image of Moran celebrating on the touchline is still with me. Think there was also a bit of controversy as he was not awarded his medal on the podium like the rest, as I think it was some sort of bi rule that if you got sent off on the winning side in an FA cup final, you would not be awarded your medal on the day by the FA officals but later from your club ? 

I don't remember it as being a bad decision. It was certainly controversial in that (incredibly!) no one had ever been sent off in a final before. As Reid skipped past him to go clear, Moran slid in and took him out. I don't think he got the ball first, but maybe I'm mistaken.

saffron sam2

Quote from: SuperMac on December 30, 2007, 01:52:15 PM
Just wondering, is Kevin Moran the only man to win All Ireland Senior ('76, '77) and an FA Cup medal ( '83, '85 ). Pretty good collection of medals for any man. Or if not a major soccer medal, then maybe an international Boxing title, Rugby, Golf, whatever, along with an All Ireland Senior ?

Apparently

Mick Galwey is the only man with an All-Ireland Senior football medal (Kerry '86) to have played for the Ireland rugby team.

Ned Byrne is the only man with an All-Ireland Senior hurling medal (Kilkenny '72) to have played for the Ireland rugby team.

Gerry McIlhenny is the only man with an All-Star and a "Home International" (not my phrase) winners medal.

Martin O'Neill has MacRory, Ulster minor football and European Cup winners medals.

Socrates does not have a Sigerson Cup medal.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

stew

[.

Socrates does not have a Sigerson Cup medal.
[/quote]

I dont think gaelic football was invented at the time he was forever changing the stream of human conciousness.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Over the Bar

QuoteSocrates does not have a Sigerson Cup medal.

But Mohammed Ali did play hurling.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: saffron sam2 on January 01, 2008, 08:55:05 PM
Gerry McIlhenny is the only man with an All-Star and a "Home International" (not my phrase) winners medal.
So does Gerry McElhinney
;)

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Over the Bar on January 01, 2008, 10:01:30 PM

Xavi Alonso played Gaelic Football
You'll Never Walk Alone.

dublinfella

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 01, 2008, 10:20:57 PM

I think that one can be filed under the Gerd Muller handball or Socrates Sigerson medal myth.

his holiness nb

Quote from: dublinfella on January 03, 2008, 01:46:15 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 01, 2008, 10:20:57 PM

I think that one can be filed under the Gerd Muller handball or Socrates Sigerson medal myth.

Nope, he was a spanish student who spent the summer in Kells one year.
Played a few games while here, not sure if it was competitive.
He actually returned to Kells during the past few months to visit the family he stayed with.

Royal help for Alonso

May 25, 2005

Liverpool defender Steve Finnan will not be the only player on the Ataturk Stadium's pitch tonight with Irish connections as teammate Xabi Alonso has fond memories of the country.

Alonso spent the summer of 1997 in the Meath town of Kells, where he was learning to speak English.

The ace Liverpool midfielder has recovered from a broken ankle to take his place in the team for tonight's final against the mighty AC Milan.

But, speaking of his time in Kells, Alonso recalls trying his hand at playing Gaelic Football, a sport he remembers as being a 'bit rough'.

"I played Gaelic Football with some of the local boys. It was very different, very physical," recalls Alonso. "It was great to come to a different country and different culture at that age. I was 15 and it was the first time I had ever left Spain.

"I enjoyed the Gaelic Football and watched it on television too. It was very fast, very tough. Maybe they should wear crash helmets."
Ask me holy bollix