John Maughan
11 (11.1%)
Kevin McStay
50 (50.5%)
A.N. Other
29 (29.3%)

Total Members Voted: 99

Croí na hÉireann

Cake Curran now tweeting that McHale was not actually part of Leahys management plan. When I said nothing surprises me anymore...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

rodney trotter

McHale is being linked to the Cavan backroom management.

rodney trotter

Liam McHale has insisted that he had not agreed to be part of Peter Leahy's backroom team with the Westmeath senior footballers. Leahy was put forward for the position of Westmeath manager at last night's county board meeting - but he didn't get sufficient support from club delegates, who voted 24-19 against him. When Leahy was proposed by Westmeath GAA chairman Sean Sheridan at last night's meeting, it was stated that former Mayo midfield star Liam McHale would be part of the management team. It was said that Tommy Kelly (The Downs) and Mick Reynolds (a former selector with the Westmeath ladies football team) would also be included in Leahy's backroom team. However, McHale has made it absolutely clear that he had not agreed to join Leahy's ticket. The Ballina native said he met Leahy in Athlone yesterday (Wednesday) and told him he would think about the offer for a few days. "I nearly crashed the car when I heard my name mentioned on the radio when it was reported that Peter was rejected for the Westmeath position," McHale told the Westmeath Independent today. McHale was coach of the St Brigid's team who won the All-Ireland club title in 2013, under the management of Kevin McStay. A highly regarded coach, McHale is still part of the Brigid's set-up, and the club is currently preparing for the Roscommon SFC final on Sunday week. "I was coming back from training with St Brigid's when Brian Carthy came on the radio at around 11 o'clock. I couldn't believe it when I heard my name read out in connection with the Westmeath set-up," said McHale. "I met Peter yesterday (Wednesday) and I said I'd think it over for a few days. I had spoken to him a couple of times on the phone before that – just casual talk, trying to organise a meeting. But when I met him, I never said I was coming on board," he continued. "I spoke to Sean Sheridan this morning. He told me that he was 100 per cent sure I was coming on board before going into the county board meeting last night, but that wasn't the case. "Sean was very apologetic and I was pleased with his response this morning. I've never met Sean but he seems like a very nice, genuine man," added Liam. A few weeks ago, McHale was in contention to become part of Mayo's management team along with former team-mate, Kevin McStay. However, the Mayo County Board chose to appoint Noel Connelly and Pat Holmes as joint-managers. The way the process was handled caused huge controversy and led to stinging criticism of Mayo chairman Paddy McNicholas - See more at: http://www.westmeathindependent.ie/sport/roundup/articles/2014/10/09/4033029-mchale-insists-he-never-agreed-to-join-westmeath-setup/#sthash.1l78vkod.dpuf

AZOffaly

Soap operas all over the place.

Statement received from Peter Leahy
Due to inaccuracies being reported in the media and on social media sites today I find it necessary to state the facts. At the time of my proposal on Tuesday 7th October all members of my backroom team were confirmed. It is true that one member of the management backtracked on Wednesday evening (at a meeting to confirm finer details) saying he'd "confirm for definite within 24 hours". I am very disappointed that this person has decided today to distance himself, after our ratification was unsuccessful. It is obviously done for personal reasons. I one hundred percent stand by my proposed management team and did not try to mislead any delegates or county board officials. Primarily I'm a Westmeath supporter and the management team I put forward was for the betterment of Westmeath football. I have no doubts that if I had got the three extra votes necessary to confirm my ratification that all of my management team (including the high profile coach) would have done a fantastic job for Westmeath. I wish the county board and incoming management team all the best for 2015 and hope Westmeath can achieve their potential.

Croí na hÉireann

Maybe Mayo have inadvertently made the right managerial appointment.

Tubberman

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on October 09, 2014, 05:28:44 PM

Absolutely. Good coach or not (and I have no idea on that), he has terrible judgement about when he should talk to the media and what he should say. He's not involved with any county, yet he's in the news every fcking second day.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

whitey

Quote from: Tubberman on October 09, 2014, 05:40:05 PM

Absolutely. Good coach or not (and I have no idea on that), he has terrible judgement about when he should talk to the media and what he should say. He's not involved with any county, yet he's in the news every fcking second day.

LOL-I said exactly the same thing when he was proposed for the Mayo job. I will never forget him moaning on the Joe Duffy show after the 96 replay about all he names he was called b John McDermott.

moysider

Quote from: whitey on October 09, 2014, 06:38:50 PM

LOL-I said exactly the same thing when he was proposed for the Mayo job. I will never forget him moaning on the Joe Duffy show after the 96 replay about all he names he was called b John McDermott.

As things turned out it was probably the only appointment that they could make. But the way it was handled was a mess.

Saying that while it might have been the right appointment I ve yet to meet a Mayo person that thinks it s a good appointment. It would be okay for a team in transition, would seem to be the general view. Safe pair of hands with good intentions. But for a squad that needs something for another push for the summit it s an underwhelming appointment.
Bit rough on Connelly maybe but getting Pateen Holmes back is like getting landed again with an old girlfriend - one that you were delighted to get rid of the first time.

Disappointed other serious people not in Mayo mix. I suppose when McStay expressed an interest a lot of people would have expected a shoe in. Would have like to see somebody like Jack O Connor interested.  Holmes and Conn were then cobbled together as an alternative because the Batman and Robin  'package' was too much.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on October 09, 2014, 10:41:06 PM

As things turned out it was probably the only appointment that they could make. But the way it was handled was a mess.

Saying that while it might have been the right appointment I ve yet to meet a Mayo person that thinks it s a good appointment. It would be okay for a team in transition, would seem to be the general view. Safe pair of hands with good intentions. But for a squad that needs something for another push for the summit it s an underwhelming appointment.
Bit rough on Connelly maybe but getting Pateen Holmes back is like getting landed again with an old girlfriend - one that you were delighted to get rid of the first time.

Disappointed other serious people not in Mayo mix. I suppose when McStay expressed an interest a lot of people would have expected a shoe in. Would have like to see somebody like Jack O Connor interested.  Holmes and Conn were then cobbled together as an alternative because the Batman and Robin  'package' was too much.

If Paddy held his six shooters for two weeks FOD would have been available..

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on October 09, 2014, 11:37:05 PM
Quote from: moysider on October 09, 2014, 10:41:06 PM

If Paddy held his six shooters for two weeks FOD would have been available..

I was trying to be serious here Sy. For people that might not be au-fait with our little slagfest ::)

orangeman

He was lucky John only called him bad names. Much, much worse could have happened him.

moysider

Quote from: orangeman on October 10, 2014, 12:26:19 AM

He was lucky John only called him bad names. Much, much worse could have happened him.

Such as?

orangeman

Quote from: moysider on October 10, 2014, 12:34:49 AM

Such as?

Same fate as Peter the Great suffered a short while prior to this. Accidentally of course.

moysider

Quote from: orangeman on October 10, 2014, 12:38:30 AM
Quote from: moysider on October 10, 2014, 12:34:49 AM

Such as?

Same fate as Peter the Great suffered a short while prior to this. Accidentally of course.

Nah. McHale was never bullied. Never a bully either. Even though many tried in club and county.
McDermott was the one that threw the hissy when he felt that likes of McHales 's disappointment after the 96 mess was somehow disrespecting Meath.
Even after the McHale sending off Pat Fallon and a kid Brady were well able to compete with McDermott and was it Colm Brady/ McGuinness?
McEneaney was the trouble there and the Mayo/Meath thing continues to fester.
Look at it from our point of view. This year we had 2 Meath refs. for our semis this year and we had McEneaney and Eamonn Fitzmaurice getting smoozy during the Dub/Donegal semi. Mc Eneaney is the top dog as regards refs being appointed and I don t trust him. He ref us again in '04 and put down a marker very early by giving a couple of very soft free ins to Kerry. Just to show how tough he is imo.
To make things worse we had his brother managing Meath later. Much too cosy imo. Rotten tbh.

Sure I'm paranoid but a bit to be paranoid about. Banty managing Meath later as well did not help.

Croí na hÉireann

McHale gone to Cavan as a performance coach. Hopefully he wasn't driving the car when he heard the news.