John Maughan
11 (11.1%)
Kevin McStay
50 (50.5%)
A.N. Other
29 (29.3%)

Total Members Voted: 99

Captain Obvious

Any Hitler video done on this fiasco yet?

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on September 24, 2014, 04:12:15 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 24, 2014, 04:06:10 PM
Can anybody tell me what/how/why Pat Holmes changed his mind? He dismissed himself out of the running only a fortnight ago. I cannot understand how he is brought in. Fair enough he got the Mitchels to an All-Ireland, but Eoghan O'Reilly's confidence is shattered as a cause of it.

Yo have to imagine he was already exploring the idea of joining up with Connelly before he ruled himself out, probably much, much longer - after Mitchels' good season if he hadn't his eyes on another job you'd be surprised if he stepped down. I saw that move as clearing the path for a return to senior management.

The two were rumoured to be in the running for our job back in 2012 so they certainly have demonstrated an interest in senior management as a team.

Pity they didn't get the Roscommon gig. Have saved a lot of trouble ;D

mayoman dan

Quote from: moysider on September 24, 2014, 04:50:03 PM
Quote from: Syferus on September 24, 2014, 04:12:15 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 24, 2014, 04:06:10 PM
Can anybody tell me what/how/why Pat Holmes changed his mind? He dismissed himself out of the running only a fortnight ago. I cannot understand how he is brought in. Fair enough he got the Mitchels to an All-Ireland, but Eoghan O'Reilly's confidence is shattered as a cause of it.

Yo have to imagine he was already exploring the idea of joining up with Connelly before he ruled himself out, probably much, much longer - after Mitchels' good season if he hadn't his eyes on another job you'd be surprised if he stepped down. I saw that move as clearing the path for a return to senior management.

The two were rumoured to be in the running for our job back in 2012 so they certainly have demonstrated an interest in senior management as a team.

Pity they didn't get the Roscommon gig. Have saved a lot of trouble ;D

Can anyone tell me why pat Holmes is involved at all? He had his chance and he blew it not just with mayo but with castlebar in this years club final.we turned down mc stay who had proven he can get a team over the line you couldn't make this shite up

IolarCoisCuain

I think I can clear up some of the confusion about Liam McHale.

The first thing you have to remember about Liam McHale is that he's from Ballina. Not only does that make him a f**king townie, it makes him the towniest f**king townie there is, All townies are hateful, but there's something about Ballina that is especially sickening to right-thinking men.

The second thing about McHale is that not only did he play basketball, he made no secret of it. And you know what that means, don't you? It means he thinks he's f**king better than us, the ****. And not only that, he's on Newstalk every minute of the f**king day, telling us how great he is and what useless c***ts we are.

Useless c***ts we might be, but we're not letting that **** rub it in. He can f**k off to f**k. Mayo could win five-in-a-row but the thought of them being tainted by that tanned, townie, basketballing, radio-talking f**king **** would take all the good out of it.

And that, friends, is why a lot of people in Mayo have a problem with Liam McHale.

larryin89

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on September 24, 2014, 08:07:42 PM
I think I can clear up some of the confusion about Liam McHale.

The first thing you have to remember about Liam McHale is that he's from Ballina. Not only does that make him a f**king townie, it makes him the towniest f**king townie there is, All townies are hateful, but there's something about Ballina that is especially sickening to right-thinking men.

The second thing about McHale is that not only did he play basketball, he made no secret of it. And you know what that means, don't you? It means he thinks he's f**king better than us, the ****. And not only that, he's on Newstalk every minute of the f**king day, telling us how great he is and what useless c***ts we are.

Useless c***ts we might be, but we're not letting that **** rub it in. He can f**k off to f**k. Mayo could win five-in-a-row but the thought of them being tainted by that tanned, townie, basketballing, radio-talking f**king **** would take all the good out of it.

And that, friends, is why a lot of people in Mayo have a problem with Liam McHale.

lol. Although tongue n cheek, there could be an element of truth in what youre saying too. It seems to be a thing with Ballina and the county board , no league game for Ballina in recent years seems to be an issue too.

If JOD from Kerry was from Ballina , he would never make the Mayo squad, he's a right townie with a townie personality too.lol
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Farrandeelin

That's it Iolar in a nutshell unfortunately. McHale has served Mayo football more than any of us on here have I bet. OK, I don't agree 100% with everything he says, but I don't agree 100% with many people on GAA related matters.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

From the Bunker

Alot of extreme stuff written about McHale. I have to say as a Basketball player, a Intercounty footballer and as a club footballer he represented his county and his home town impeccably. The problem I would have with McHale is he is to much public a figure. He seems to attract the limelight and often has to much to say. There is no intended badness in Liam, just there are times when you need to say virtually nothing. Horan repelled the public with distinction. We were left less open to the more of the usual ridicule we left ourselves open for in the past. I look at the top managers in the game at the moment. Fitzmaurice, Galvin, McGuinness and Horan. All don't seem like the types of blokes that are the life of the party or would be your best friend. This is the problem i'd have with McStay/McHale and also with Connelly/Holmes. They seem just too nice! Anyway that us Mayo people.........too nice!

Jinxy

Anytime I've listened to McHale on the radio he has come across as a guy who thinks a lot about the game and coaching, and has no interest in soundbites or making a name for himself.
I've asked the question already, exactly what did he say that has upset the players so much that they would object to his involvement?
Since nobody has answered this I'm guessing there isn't a whole lot of weight behind the claim.
Or, is it possibly the case that the county board are putting it about that the players wouldn't be happy with him in order to justify their decision?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

orangeman

The appointment of club and county managers is some mess.

The Mayo job is another example in a long history of making a balls of things.

ballinaman

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 24, 2014, 08:35:12 PM
Horan repelled the public with distinction.
Never got that impression when I spoke to people from outside Mayo, especially Dublin people felt he had a lot to say...too much in fact.

Spot on Iolar above, that's the crux of it.

I think a bit of both Jinxy,players and board, for the reasons as outlined by Iolar.

Chimley

Quote from: Jinxy on September 24, 2014, 08:42:54 PM
Anytime I've listened to McHale on the radio he has come across as a guy who thinks a lot about the game and coaching, and has no interest in soundbites or making a name for himself.
I've asked the question already, exactly what did he say that has upset the players so much that they would object to his involvement?
Since nobody has answered this I'm guessing there isn't a whole lot of weight behind the claim.
Or, is it possibly the case that the county board are putting it about that the players wouldn't be happy with him in order to justify their decision?

I don't remember anything majorly controversial or else I've forgotten it if I did. Some people have long memories though especially with an axe to grind. 

moysider

Quote from: Jinxy on September 24, 2014, 08:42:54 PM

I suspect it's the latter because I would have read all his columns and can t remember anything ott.

It s a shame that the players were dragged into this as well. Makes them look precious when they are anything but. It also seems like Holmes and Connelly were given the gig because McHale wasn t wanted rather than having a strong case of their own. Hardly a glowing recommendation for the chosen ones  :(

If McNicolas falls on his sword tomorrow night what becomes of Pat and Noel? Can the chairman resign over the manner of their selection and yet they are appointed by the board? A lot of people I ve spoken to don t think so and think the process needs to start again or there will always be 'rumblings'. Supposing (and I expect this to happen), that some delegates demand a fresh process? What happens then? They can be shouted down or beaten in a vote but however this pans out now it is a dreadful restart for everybody. Board, management, players and fans.

highorlow

Jinxy, he wrote a newspaper article at some stage giving out about the previous management and team. I tried to find it online but can't. I vaguely remember it though and it caused a bit of a stir. I think it was in a local paper.

In hindsight, for him obviously, this wasn't the smartest move. That's basketball playing townies for ya.

p.s. It possibly was around the same time as the JMcG v Cassidy incident so player fragility was the order of the day.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

moysider

Don t remember that. Can anybody find it?

The only exception I took to his writing was a few months ago when he appeared to be taking teams like Ros and Galway too lightly. Basically he was saying Mayo were much too good to contemplate losing to these teams.
If anything he seemed to rate this team very highly.

mayoman dan

Didn't mc hale have a right go at Horan in the western the day after the all Ireland in 2012.I can't remember him ever being to critical of the players though.