John Maughan
11 (11.1%)
Kevin McStay
50 (50.5%)
A.N. Other
29 (29.3%)

Total Members Voted: 99

Chimley

There's a lot of choreography going on here. The chairmans quotes regarding rules for the next man in the Telegraph followed by a tiny bit of backtracking by the PRO seems to point to an orchastrated media campaign by the CB. Who knows where it will end up but I wouldn't try to second guess the outcome just yet.

Syferus

I'm hoping the Mayo board are really acting the maggot with McStay and he's still available when we'll be in the market for a manager in a year or two. Sadly Holmes/Connelly is a much better combo than some here think. The weight of expectation and finances may scuttle anyone taking the job, though.

Mayo Mick

Quote from: Syferus on September 20, 2014, 12:52:23 AM
I'm hoping the Mayo board are really acting the maggot with McStay and he's still available when we'll be in the market for a manager in a year or two. Sadly Holmes/Connelly is a much better combo than some here think. The weight of expectation and finances may scuttle anyone taking the job, though.

McStay has no interest in managing ye. Not sure he is that interested in managing any county team. Connelly and Holmes will get the job and won't be a bad selection.  Probably more open to criticism than Horan.
If You Don't Bring Home The Bacon, You'll Get Treated Like A Pig!!

Syferus

From the Bunker

bucko

Nothing official yet AFAIK, but the score.ie running an article that the job is Connelly's with Holmes as his no. 2 with Donie Buckley staying on as coach. Will reserve judgement on them, can't say they'd have been my first choice, but Buckley staying on is a positive in my book.

macdanger2

Quote from: bucko on September 20, 2014, 06:23:48 PM
Nothing official yet AFAIK, but the score.ie running an article that the job is Connelly's with Holmes as his no. 2 with Donie Buckley staying on as coach. Will reserve judgement on them, can't say they'd have been my first choice, but Buckley staying on is a positive in my book.

I thought Buckley had been confirmed as returning to kerry?

Syferus

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 20, 2014, 06:51:21 PM
Quote from: bucko on September 20, 2014, 06:23:48 PM

I thought Buckley had been confirmed as returning to kerry?

Only the U21 selector job. Could easily double-job. Especially with the Mayo moneyhat..

Farrandeelin

Apparently CB wouldn't have Lord Liam as no 2 and McStay pulled out. Fair play to McStay for not turning.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

muppet

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 20, 2014, 08:08:21 PM
Apparently CB wouldn't have Lord Liam as no 2 and McStay pulled out. Fair play to McStay for not turning.

Yea, if that is all true, McStay had to stick to his guns.
MWWSI 2017

Tubberman

So now it's official. Best of luck to Noel, Pat, Donie and whoever else makes up the mgmt team.
Feel bad for McStay but tbh I'd view McHale as a liability so can see why CB were hesitant about that (if that particular rumour is correct).

http://www.mayogaa.com/news/339505/Statement_Re_Mayo_Senior_Football_Team_Manager
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

stephenite

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: stephenite on September 20, 2014, 09:57:34 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on September 20, 2014, 09:45:27 PM
tbh I'd view McHale as a liability so can see why CB were hesitant about that (if that particular rumour is correct).

http://www.mayogaa.com/news/339505/Statement_Re_Mayo_Senior_Football_Team_Manager

Why?

Talking about McStay and McHale, someone said to me yesterday "If only they weren't both from Ballina, McStay would have some hope." Hard to believe that would be an issue in this day and age, but far from impossible to believe either.

Anyway. Done now. Best of luck to Connelly and Holmes. James Horan has left a very high standard to reach.

Syferus

McHale's skill-set is an absolute perfect match to the high press tactics that defined the best moments of Horan's reign. McStay did the right thing, if the Mayo county board were trying to be that grabby with you no serious manager would take the job. Connelly didn't get told he had to be without Holmes..

whitey

Delighted

Nothing personal against Liam McHale, but he needs to keep his head down and mouth shut for a few years. Unfortunately Liam McHale epitomized the "loser mentality" that has held Mayo football back for decades