11 (11.1%)
Kevin McStay
50 (50.5%)
A.N. Other
29 (29.3%)

Total Members Voted: 99

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: muppet on September 16, 2014, 09:48:57 AM
Lads, if Horan's point about Kerry being familiar with the Gaelic Grounds was valid, then his suggestion of Thurles as an alternative was odd to say the least. Portlaoise or Tullamore maybe.

I suppose in his mind Thurles is regarded as a hurling field and the Tipperary footballers used to play their games in Ardfinnan. Although they've been back in Semple the last few years, not sure if Kerry have played there recently.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

Yes they have. Kerry played Tipp there 2 years ago or so. And probably more underage as well. It makes no sense.

dferg

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 16, 2014, 11:33:11 AM
Yes they have. Kerry played Tipp there 2 years ago or so. And probably more underage as well. It makes no sense.

It hardly makes that much difference if they played a game there a couple of years ago.  It's a fairly flat, standard sized football pitch with posts at either end, not a golf course where you can learn what way the greens run or which bunkers to lay up behind.

AZOffaly

Quote from: dferg on September 16, 2014, 11:38:04 AM

It hardly makes that much difference if they played a game there a couple of years ago.  It's a fairly flat, standard sized football pitch with posts at either end, not a golf course where you can learn what way the greens run or which bunkers to lay up behind.

I'm just answering the question Croí asked. And making the point that if Horan was concerned that Kerry were more familiar with Limerick than Mayo would be, the situation in Thurles would have been worse. It's nonsense.

Keane

Interview more or less copper fastened my opinion on Horan's public persona anyway.

dferg

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 16, 2014, 11:41:18 AM
Quote from: dferg on September 16, 2014, 11:38:04 AM

I'm just answering the question Croí asked. And making the point that if Horan was concerned that Kerry were more familiar with Limerick than Mayo would be, the situation in Thurles would have been worse. It's nonsense.

I agree.  Horan should just let it go.  He was a very good manager who brought Mayo very close to being good enough to win an All Ireland.  He just seems petty now moaning about everything.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Jinxy on September 16, 2014, 09:53:00 AM
Lookit, James would have been better off saying nothing.
Why?
Try and see it from his perspective and of the team.  He had also finished his term in charge without that which he and his players had burst their guts for over four gruelling years.
I'd imagine his comments would have been more restrained if he hadn't been doing a live interview so soon after his resignation and not his while his emotions were still running high.
Frst of all, the game was switched from Croke Park to a venue that he and his team felt was giving Kerry an advantage, Secondly, the choice of Limerick meant the fans were going to have logistical problems getting to Limerick to put t mildly and to cap it all, Croker was ruled out for the replay in case it was needed for a Dublin/Donegal replay.
Talk about parity of esteem or rather the lack of same!
If all of that wasn't bad enough, their own CB didn't stand up for him and his players. Throw the fact that the ref made a proper dog's dinner of reffing the game and he felt hard done by some of his decisions.
While I'm at it, he had a long-running battle with the CB as he felt he wasn't getting enough support and resources from that quarter and he left the job on less than good terms with that august body.
Now, I ain't saying I'm in total agreement with him but I am trying to see things from his perspective.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Rossfan

Next time they get to an AI Semi final they might be so happy to be in it that they won't give 2 sh1tes where it's played (maybe even at the Hyde  :o)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

blanketattack

Quote from: moysider on September 15, 2014, 11:34:57 PM
Quote from: blanketattack on September 15, 2014, 11:18:33 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 15, 2014, 10:17:14 PM
Quote from: moysider on September 15, 2014, 10:12:04 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on September 15, 2014, 09:32:50 PM
I was going to comment on that nonsense, and then realised there was no point. Disappointing article from Horan. I thought more of him than that.

Really?

Once in the last 8 years is a lot more regularly than we ve played there ;).

This whole episode has left a sour taste in the county unfortunately.

Our county board let the team down by rolling over and having their tummies tickled. No surprise there.

What is more worrying now is that they may appoint a table thumper and a yes man.
I wonder how many Kerry players played there at minor or u21 level?
I was told that quite a few of them did. I dunno- just sayin' what I heard, like.

Kerry-Limerick minor games are usually played in Kilmallock.

Missing the point. We don t play in Markievicz Park much but if we had an AI semi there - if it had capacity - it would have a home feel about it. Say against an Ulster or leinster team.

Why did he want Thurles instead when Kerry have played there more regularly?

joemamas

Quote from: Jinxy on September 16, 2014, 09:53:00 AM
Lookit, James would have been better off saying nothing.

Tend to agree. Not sure what upside is, unless it makes the county board take on a more "professional" approach to fundraising and organization.

I Personally believe that he has brought Mayo football on leaps and bound. Don't forget when he took over four years ago Mayo had been dumped out of the championship by Longford. (no offense meant).

Another part of me is trying to understand that this job probably consumed his life for past four years, and he tended to go about his business in a relatively quite/ non media hound manner. Maybe he should get a pass on this interview.

Collie Brolly

Quote from: muppet on September 16, 2014, 11:07:54 AM
Quote from: Collie Brolly on September 16, 2014, 10:54:40 AM
"But those kind of comments don't bother me."

Says the man who comes up with a staunch defence to said comments.
Good man James u keep telling urself that u might even believe it.
Unbelievable cheap shot at county board,surely as manager the last thing he needed that wk was his chairman publicly havin a pop at the uachtaran whether he was entitled to or not.

Really? The last thing he needed??

Of all of the things that could possibly go wrong over a week, you think the last thing he needed was the Chairman of the CB to criticise An t-Uachtarán for his daft insulting of everyone in Mayo?

What would be second last?
An outbreak of Ebola in Ballintubber taking out Cillian & Alan?
3rd last - the O'Sé brothers join Sydney Swans and leave immediately?

Now ur just being silly.
U need pace for the AFL something lacking in the 2 thick bucks from Breaffy.

muppet

Quote from: Collie Brolly on September 16, 2014, 02:00:21 PM

Unbelievable cheap shot at county board,surely as manager the last thing he needed that wk was his chairman publicly havin a pop at the uachtaran whether he was entitled to or not.

Of all of the things that could possibly go wrong over a week, you think the last thing he needed was the Chairman of the CB to criticise An t-Uachtarán for his daft insulting of everyone in Mayo?

Now ur just being silly.

Good man insulting players anonymously.

Looking at your argument and 'ur' spelling I'd say you are significantly thicker than they are.

Where are you from, or should I just guess?
MWWSI 2017

Keane

Quote from: muppet on September 16, 2014, 02:15:37 PM

Now ur just being silly.

Looking at your argument and 'ur' spelling I'd say you are significantly thicker than they are.

What a bizarre line you've taken on this argument.

Wading in to pick on a turn of phrase "the last thing he needs" and then crying when the tone of the response matches the tone of your own stupid post.

muppet

Quote from: Keane on September 16, 2014, 02:36:07 PM
Quote from: muppet on September 16, 2014, 02:15:37 PM

Now ur just being silly.

What a bizarre line you've taken on this argument.

Wading in to pick on a turn of phrase "the last thing he needs" and then crying when the tone of the response matches the tone of your own stupid post.

Which is exactly what you've done!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
MWWSI 2017

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Rossfan on September 16, 2014, 12:06:09 PM
Next time they get to an AI Semi final they might be so happy to be in it that they won't give 2 sh1tes where it's played (maybe even at the Hyde  :o)

Always thought this was a lame enough argument - "ah sure lads ye should be happy to be there, theres plenty teams would kill to be where ye are"

Its kinda like the Saipan/Roy Keane think. Should you be happy to mulluck along or maybe you want the level of professionalism and work you bring to a team to be shown outside of the team?

I know which I'd prefer for Mayo, the days of being happy to be there are long gone, thanks god
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me