A.N. Other
29 (29.3%)

Total Members Voted: 99

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on September 04, 2014, 11:49:23 PM
Quote from: bucko on September 04, 2014, 11:35:14 PM
Quote from: moysider on September 04, 2014, 10:47:09 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on September 04, 2014, 09:15:01 PM
If you look at tyrone or armagh the guys before the ai winning managers did great jobs but just fell that wee bit short of winning then big joe and mickey harte came in and had that wee bit extra.  Maybe that could happen in mayo?

Horan did a fantastic job. Where mayo are now compared to where they were before him was night and day.

If you look at donegal two years ago they were firing on all cylinders and really blitzed everyone. They struggled with mayo big time.

I guess that game could actually tell you the good and bad of horan. He built a team that could compete with anyone but in making changes he sometimes fell a wee bit short like he did leaving the smaller defender, who's name escapes me, on murphy.

Keane is probably our biggest defender! But I know what you mean I think. For me it was allowing Murphy isolated 1 on 1.  The Donaghy thing this year was a bit innocent as well.

As regards the future. Glad that Holmes not interested. He s had his stint and coułdn t understand why he was involved at U21 later.
Connelly's U21 record with Holmes is ok but Alan Mulholland shows that underage success is of no relevance.
Most worrying is the attitude of the clubs. Paddy Mac is going to appease the clubs it seems. Horan was hugely resented and if the board get their way we ll be looking at a patsy appointment.
Can't have it both ways. The fact that Horan was given most of what he wanted and came up short gives the clubs a large stick to beat the executive.
Paddy is already appeasing ( recent meeting a clubman claimed that the tail/Horan was wagging the dog/ board) the clubs and you can be sure that the committee that is sent out to interview the next manager will be telling those interested that they won't be able to get club matches postponed e.g.
We could find that we end up with slack enough candidates.
Unfortunately the following seems to back this up.
from the Irish Examiner "Resources may also be a sticking point for Horan's replacement as the board intends cutting overheads"
from the Connaught Telegraph ""There is a special Croke Park charter for appointing a county manager. But we are entitled to add to this charter and we will be drawing up criteria for all the applicants for the job."
It seems the county board will move fast on the new appointment and a new manager is expected to be in place in the next month to six weeks. It is also evident the county board will have some set rules for the next manager."
Factor in the rumours after last years all Ireland of rows between Horan and the board over travel arrangements and accommodation and then more recently over the intermediate quarter finals, it looks like the next guy in the hot seat is going to be well shackled by the CB. If this group of players ever do win the all Ireland, like 51 it will be in spite of the county board, not because of it.

Ah c'mon now. Ye built a massive palace in Castlebar and have been burning through money under Horan. It's only natural that there would need to be cuts after the Cap stepped down.

Your CB did nearly everything asked of them under Horan and it certainly wasn't their fault he never got over the line. That's more than a lot of counties get from their board.

The less said about the Taj Mahal the better. That was poorly thought out and more poorly executed.
Whatever about Horan s failure to win the prize, his success was because of his conviction and disregard for club bleating.

larryin89

Always negative talk  with us oirish. Isn't  McHale park a fine stadium, money well spent and i hope there is more development over the years. And would ya look at the county man who's patronising Mayo GAA . a fookin rossie , the worst ground in Ireland , a bus worth half a million and a shite football team.  You'd swear they knew something the way they speak.

If i win the euromillions tmrw night, ill donate 90% of my winnings to bringing the stand the whole way round the ground.

Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Shrewdness

Larry, as i was the one who asked the question on page 7 about Mayo's new manager, i'm not sure whether it's me or Syferus that you're being critical of?. If it's me, there was nothing patronising about my comments. As for you calling Roscommon a shite team, we're well aware that's how a lot of Mayo people see us, but that didn't stop Ros giving Mayo a close game in June, did it?

larryin89

It is most certainly not you shrewdness , your not a bad buckeen at all.

mayoman dan

Quote from: Shrewdness on September 04, 2014, 08:40:23 PM
Horan's achievements are now well documented. He turned them into a serious outfit, but one that always just fell short.. A lot of you Mayo lads on here regularly attend club and county matches, so ye should know ye're stuff by now. So i have a question for ye...When the new manager takes over, and using all Horan's work as his foundation, what will it take to push this Mayo team over the line? Where should he look to find the extra 10 per cent performance required?

Another forward that can score heavily and crucially a forward that can do it in the big games.I am hoping Regan will step up and make the corner forward position his own under the new man.We also need a ball winning full forward.When plan A is not working we need to be able to kick the ball in long and make it stick.This could be anyone of Freeman Barry Moran Andy Moran Kirby or even Aiden o se depending on the new man.Adam Gallagher needs to be giving a real go he looks to be the real deal.The new man or woman needs to have some idea of tactics and not just hope for the best with the opposition danger man.Like all good teams we need a little bit of luck along the way.IMO we are not too far away and if the new man can build on the great work done by Horan and find 1 or 2 forwards ie Regan and Gallagher i would expect us to be challenging for honours next year aswell.

larryin89

Now youre talkin Dan, i believe we could a very potent forward line in the years to come despite the lack of 21s success over the last few years.

Regan and Gallagher have to be given a right go. If Connelley gets it , he will know how the likes of Irwin and Tommy Conroy are doing as i presume they were part of under 19 squad this year. Conor o Shea and Diarmuid o conor arent going to be far away either but we have a few of that type too, its regan and gallagher that excites me.

The full back position has to be priority, we have to think about this position carefully, it has to be filled  and im not saying to just dismiss Caff but its horses for courses, i actually thought Kevin Keane did slighly better than Caff on star. Keane  lost a lot of confidence in 12 , he still has the makings of making a corner back slot his own imo.

All is not lost, Connacht title is not beyond Mayo for 15 but it will be tougher esp with an away trip to Galway on the cards.

mayoman dan

Quote from: larryin89 on September 05, 2014, 09:12:10 PM
Now youre talkin Dan, i believe we could a very potent forward line in the years to come despite the lack of 21s success over the last few years.

Regan and Gallagher have to be given a right go. If Connelley gets it , he will know how the likes of Irwin and Tommy Conroy are doing as i presume they were part of under 19 squad this year. Conor o Shea and Diarmuid o conor arent going to be far away either but we have a few of that type too, its regan and gallagher that excites me.

The full back position has to be priority, we have to think about this position carefully, it has to be filled  and im not saying to just dismiss Caff but its horses for courses, i actually thought Kevin Keane did slighly better than Caff on star. Keane  lost a lot of confidence in 12 , he still has the makings of making a corner back slot his own imo.

All is not lost, Connacht title is not beyond Mayo for 15 but it will be tougher esp with an away trip to Galway on the cards.

All is far from lost Larryin89 the majority of our better players are still young and with a good rest should be rearing to go again next year.There has been positives from this year with Doherty showing he can operate at this level and the second coming of Parsons.I believe Regan and Gallagher will add significant firepower to our forward line and i also excited to see how it all pans out.Is Gallagher not more of a half forward though? If Dillon and Andy stay on and are happy to be impact subs we could have a serious forward line with great subs to bring in.Full forward is still the position we need to fill imo i used to think Freeman was the man for here but im not so sure his movement is not great and he just is not aggresive enough although i appreciate he is very low on confidence.I would be happy enough with caff at full back for certain games but alternatives need to be tried and tested.Is Mc Loughlin a guaranteed starter next year he has been off form for a long time now?

moysider

Quote from: mayoman dan on September 05, 2014, 06:02:54 PM
Horan's achievements are now well documented. He turned them into a serious outfit, but one that always just fell short.. A lot of you Mayo lads on here regularly attend club and county matches, so ye should know ye're stuff by now. So i have a question for ye...When the new manager takes over, and using all Horan's work as his foundation, what will it take to push this Mayo team over the line? Where should he look to find the extra 10 per cent performance required?

Another forward that can score heavily and crucially a forward that can do it in the big games.I am hoping Regan will step up and make the corner forward position his own under the new man.We also need a ball winning full forward.When plan A is not working we need to be able to kick the ball in long and make it stick.This could be anyone of Freeman Barry Moran Andy Moran Kirby or even Aiden o se depending on the new man.Adam Gallagher needs to be giving a real go he looks to be the real deal.The new man or woman needs to have some idea of tactics and not just hope for the best with the opposition danger man.Like all good teams we need a little bit of luck along the way.IMO we are not too far away and if the new man can build on the great work done by Horan and find 1 or 2 forwards ie Regan and Gallagher i would expect us to be challenging for honours next year aswell.

But why Regan and Gallagher being mentioned now? It's too late.
As regards stepping up. They already had but management preferred others - some of whom he couldn't use.
Martin McHugh in a column last spring said that the 2 were players would be big players for Mayo this year.
Too late now to be talking about those lads. God knows what kind of management we ll have going forward,

mayoman dan

Quote from: moysider on September 05, 2014, 10:58:55 PM

As regards stepping up. They already had but management preferred others - some of whom he couldn't use.
Martin McHugh in a column last spring said that the 2 were players would be big players for Mayo this year.
Too late now to be talking about those lads. God knows what kind of management we ll have going forward,

Moy if it was up to me Regan and Gallagher would have been in last year but we all know Horan had his favourites who rightly or wrongly he preffered.Why do you think its too late for these lads? You dont seem too optimistic on the management front either moy have u heard something?

Syferus

Young Evan is eligible for the Ros, you should tell him if he wants a game he can get a fair shake of it in his father's county. ;)

moysider

Quote from: mayoman dan on September 05, 2014, 11:15:25 PM

Moy if it was up to me Regan and Gallagher would have been in last year but we all know Horan had his favourites who rightly or wrongly he preffered.Why do you think its too late for these lads? You dont seem too optimistic on the management front either moy have u heard something?

I m not optimistic about incoming management. Did ye not see Paddy Mac's comments?

As regards the others. If James O Donoghue was from Mayo would probably be in US for Summer. We ve had our chances to close the deal.

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Over the Bar

Am I alone in thinking Tony McEtee could turn the Mayo team into some outfit and get them over the line with a bit to spare? 

mayoman dan

Quote from: moysider on September 05, 2014, 11:29:22 PM
Quote from: mayoman dan on September 05, 2014, 11:15:25 PM

I m not optimistic about incoming management. Did ye not see Paddy Mac's comments?

As regards the others. If James O Donoghue was from Mayo would probably be in US for Summer. We ve had our chances to close the deal.

I would have thought those comments were to be expected Moy there posturing for position with whoever the new man is.

Syferus

Quote from: Over the Bar on September 05, 2014, 11:41:26 PM
Am I alone in thinking Tony McEtee could turn the Mayo team into some outfit and get them over the line with a bit to spare?

No manager is a silver bullet. This panel is operating very near its absolute maximum already. Is McEntee, totally unproven at IC level, going to be far better than probably Mayo's best manager of all-time? I doubt it.