The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Arne to Slot right in?

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

naka

awful performance
tactics were poor and joe cole should be chased
liverpool had at least 7 internationals/ex internationals on in the first have but were outplayed by swansea
they never look like scoring

NAG1

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 01, 2012, 08:41:56 AM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 01, 2012, 03:48:43 AM
Can't say I'm surprised. We have a paper thin squad once we have a few injuries and then trying to rest players on top of that. Some of the youngsters have real potential but the squad is probably short 3 or 4 players. Minimum.

Squad is paper thin alright, Can't say Rodgers will be to disappointed in getting knocked out. This and the Europa League are unwanted distractions when there is such a small squad and only the voltile Suarez up front.

Wanting out of the League Cup and Europa league, what does that leave when mid table is calling in the PL?
Other managers would have got the road for less lads.

Minus15

Suso to get his first for the club today!

GalwayBayBoy

Well the usual so far. Have had pretty much all the play but don't score and Newcastle score right on half-time with pretty much their first decent attack. You can write this script every week.

Completely toothless up front. Unless Suarez scores nobody else is going to. Usually they just give him the ball and let him off to do his own thing. You are not gonna score goals unless you get players attacking the opposition penalty area. Not farting about outside it.

stew

Quote from: NAG1 on November 01, 2012, 09:24:27 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on November 01, 2012, 08:41:56 AM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 01, 2012, 03:48:43 AM
Can't say I'm surprised. We have a paper thin squad once we have a few injuries and then trying to rest players on top of that. Some of the youngsters have real potential but the squad is probably short 3 or 4 players. Minimum.

Squad is paper thin alright, Can't say Rodgers will be to disappointed in getting knocked out. This and the Europa League are unwanted distractions when there is such a small squad and only the voltile Suarez up front.

Wanting out of the League Cup and Europa league, what does that leave when mid table is calling in the PL?
Other managers would have got the road for less lads.

What a load of bollocks, he has a small squad, they have one striker and he is trying to undo the damage inflicted by Daglish, he is also trying to change the playing style and introduce youngsters into the squad.

To say any manager should be given the road after a couple of months is ridiculous, if he was good enough for you to sign him, you might want to give him some time to turn things around.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

stew

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 04, 2012, 04:56:44 PM
Well the usual so far. Have had pretty much all the play but don't score and Newcastle score right on half-time with pretty much their first decent attack. You can write this script every week.

Completely toothless up front. Unless Suarez scores nobody else is going to. Usually they just give him the ball and let him off to do his own thing. You are not gonna score goals unless you get players attacking the opposition penalty area. Not farting about outside it.

That was absolutely world class forward play, that is a candidate for goal of the year.

I have no use for Suarez but this is the best performance I have seen from a PL player this year, he is absolutely magnificent.

Did i mention that goal................................................... incredible technique and intelligence, genius level goal.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

laoislad

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 04, 2012, 04:56:44 PM

Very frustrating result.
Like the Man City and Man United games Liverpool were the better team by long distance but couldn't win.
15 or so shots on target to 1 from Newcastle.
Crossing balls into an empty box is never going to get you goals,and when there are numbers in the box the cross is awful. I really don't know why Gerrard still takes corners,I think he is dreadful at them.
Shelvey had a few good chances to score and the first was a dreadful miss.
I suppose at least the Ref didn't screw us over for a change.
Class goal from Luis and he is probably the best player in the Premier League at the moment.

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

AZOffaly

It's going to be good lads. We need to be patient. I thought Suso, Sahin, Allen and Enrique were average enough, but they kept trying to do the right thing, and I like the fact that they mixed up the direct pass at times as well too. I think we can get too hooked in on the short game, but a combination of being able to keep the ball most of the time, and then the odd time being more direct is no harm.

HOWEVER, the main thing that is missing is a striker. It is so obvious it's painful. At times in the first half especially you are just roaring for someone to get in the box, because Suarez likes to come deep, spin around and go from there. We need someone making a run, and we need our midfielders breaking into the box. Shelvey is probably the best at that at the moment, and I don't think it's a coincidence that he was on the end of 2 great chances by attacking the box. Should have finished them but at least he's getting in there. Sahin doesn't get beyond Suarez, and Gerrard doesn't have the legs to do it all the time either. Allen likes to sit in the Alonso role and pass the ball.

I thought Agger was great, and I thought Sterling was very lively.

Anyway, I'm resigned to this year being a frustrating one, but I am extremely hopeful about this 'project'. I'd love to see a striker in January, a #9, but I think we could still score goals if the midfielders get beyond Suarez right now.

GalwayBayBoy

A lot of Liverpool's general play is good. They retain possession very well as you'd expect under Rodgers but we are badly missing a striker who will just hang in and around the penalty area. The other midfielders are not getting close enough to Suarez to make up for the lack of another frontman. Only Sterling is getting near him consistently. Gerrard probably doesn't have the legs to charge up and down anymore and Sahin seems a bit short on pace. It's not really Allen's game either as he plays deeper.

Should still have won today. Newcastle scored with pretty much their only chance of the game. Shelvey could have had a hat-trick after he came on alone. The miss from Suarez's cut back was awful. Should have been a tap-in but he didn't seem to get himself set in time.

Suarez has been brilliant this season. If he gets injured we would be absolutely screwed which is why the owners badly need to dip into their pockets in January.

Lecale2

heganboy

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 04, 2012, 06:06:29 PM
I'd love to see a striker in January, a #9

What are the likely options here. I thought Ba was ruled out because of injury concerns.
Drogba still being trotted out, Quagliarella from Juve. Walcott, Cisse, Celtic's Hooper, Schake's Klass Jan Huntelaar, Finnish kid Pohnanpalo.

Torres?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Main Street

Brilliant goal by Suarez. What a player!

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: heganboy on November 04, 2012, 06:51:54 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on November 04, 2012, 06:06:29 PM
I'd love to see a striker in January, a #9

What are the likely options here. I thought Ba was ruled out because of injury concerns.
Drogba still being trotted out, Quagliarella from Juve. Walcott, Cisse, Celtic's Hooper, Schake's Klass Jan Huntelaar, Finnish kid Pohnanpalo.

Torres?

Rumours today about Huntelaar but who knows?

here comes 6

Time for Carroll to be recalled and rodgers the boot. Passing around the middle doesnt score goals. Great goal today from Luis but wat way did it come?? F**king route 1

under the bar

So what you are looking for is a world class striker with no ambition of playing in the Champions league any time soon?  Good luck with that!