NFL Division 1 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

Quote from: Truthsayer on April 02, 2024, 10:53:35 PMPenalties are a scourge copied from soccer. No big deal on Sunday for league final but to decide a championship game on penalties is appalling.. totally demeaned last years Ulster final.

If they went to a replay I've a feeling you'd  have yapped about the grab all association and how the referee gave Dublin a soft free to force a replay.... am I close?

markl121

Quote from: Truthsayer on April 02, 2024, 10:53:35 PMPenalties are a scourge copied from soccer. No big deal on Sunday for league final but to decide a championship game on penalties is appalling.. totally demeaned last years Ulster final.
LOL no it didn't

RedHand88

Quote from: Armagh18 on April 02, 2024, 09:16:33 PM
Quote from: marty34 on April 02, 2024, 07:04:02 PMI think people have got on to penalties now. It's not an issue anymore.

Finishing the game on the day, after extra-time and penalties is fine.

It's hapoened a few times in big games now. Definately a lottery but good entertainment for all.

Everybody knows the drill now.
They're a scourge on the game.

They are for Armagh. The other 31 counties have no problem.
The funny thing is penalties were invented in Armagh.

Truthsayer

Quote from: markl121 on April 02, 2024, 11:05:05 PM
LOL no it didn't
The great history of Ulster championship finals reduced to a penalty shoot-out. At least replay a final. Lol it did. 

Armagh4sam2024

Agreed. While a penalty shoot-out is exciting it's no way to end a gaelic match. 45s perhaps.

Truthsayer

Quote from: RedHand88 on April 02, 2024, 11:04:56 PM

If they went to a replay I've a feeling you'd  have yapped about the grab all association and how the referee gave Dublin a soft free to force a replay.... am I close?
Not even close... GAA had replays for 100 years plus then it seemed penalties were introduced during Covid year to get games completed. Unfortunately they've been kept on. I don't really care about that league final on Sunday but to see the Anglo Celt Cup won on a penalty shoot-out or county and club teams totally eliminated from a championship on penalties, no I don't agree.
Is the next step penalties to decide who wins the Sam Maguire Cup if its a draw? Jees!

RedHand88

Quote from: Armagh4sam2024 on April 02, 2024, 11:33:23 PMAgreed. While a penalty shoot-out is exciting it's no way to end a gaelic match. 45s perhaps.

Why is this any different? I thought the main objection to penalties was that it wasn't fair to lose a game that way?

Derryman forever

Quote from: RedHand88 on April 03, 2024, 07:44:16 AM
Quote from: Armagh4sam2024 on April 02, 2024, 11:33:23 PMAgreed. While a penalty shoot-out is exciting it's no way to end a gaelic match. 45s perhaps.

Why is this any different? I thought the main objection to penalties was that it wasn't fair to lose a game that way?

Precisely.
I am no fan if penalties but why would 45s be better.

armaghniac

Quote from: Derryman forever on April 03, 2024, 07:51:45 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on April 03, 2024, 07:44:16 AM

Precisely.
I am no fan if penalties but why would 45s be better.

5 players taking 45s is down to different players, one goalie plays an excessive role in the success of penalties. A team is not measured by one player alone.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

Makes no difference, if its penalties or 45's or a one one one match up they'll all end up as a difficult loss.

The games have to be finished on the day/night no point dragging people half way round the country for replays anymore, the cost of that alone and within the football/hurling calendar it near impossible to find a space come championship.

Even at club level come championship in counties that have dual players it's a massive drain on players fitness and injuries

GAA has been using penalties in the game for as long as I can remember, its not like they have copied anyone in that regard, its now being used to finish the game, seen a game where it was either 45's or frees from the 21 when this all came about, they would have been there all night, in fact the game was cancelled by the chairman and replayed to much fanfare at the time.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

thewobbler

Kicking a 45 only becomes a skill if you've got the kicking length to achieve the outcome. Up to that, it's not a skill. Just one of those things most of us cannot do.

Armagh18

Change the calendar to allow one replay ffs. If it means teams playing 3 weeks in a row so be it. If its still level after extra time in a replay then ok penalties are fair enough or else next score wins.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Armagh18 on April 03, 2024, 09:13:35 AMChange the calendar to allow one replay ffs. If it means teams playing 3 weeks in a row so be it. If its still level after extra time in a replay then ok penalties are fair enough or else next score wins.

Draw up a calendar that fits everything in and let's have a look at it.. it's bad enough clubs are without their players during the league but you're willing that they are flogged to death over multiple replays (possibly) to eventually go to penalties?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: Armagh18 on April 03, 2024, 09:13:35 AMChange the calendar to allow one replay ffs. If it means teams playing 3 weeks in a row so be it. If its still level after extra time in a replay then ok penalties are fair enough or else next score wins.

Which match or weekend in the next few months would you like to change to allow this one replay?

Wouldn't matter what was done, boys would find something to gripe about.

JoG2

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on April 03, 2024, 09:24:12 AM

Which match or weekend in the next few months would you like to change to allow this one replay?

Wouldn't matter what was done, boys would find something to gripe about.

It's what we do! It's a dear aul year going to the games, I'm not complaining, definitely not, but hauling a car load back to Dublin for a replay... Kerching. Something has to give.