Is Babs right for once?

Started by NAG1, July 01, 2010, 02:56:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Whilst having absolutely no time for Babs Keating I feel that he is onto something when he is talking about the ball being to easy to strike huge distances. I am not saying that the standard has dropped in any way because of this, skills levels and fitness are at an all time high but what if the ball was slightly heavier and the puck outs where dropping in the middle of the field?

Would it result in a better standard of game to watch?

seafoid

Babs is always entertaining. If he was English he would be a national treasure along the lines of Des Lynam or Bobby Robson by now

Also his phrases are priceless.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Ash Smoker

As much as I dislike his attitude that everything was better in the old days, I think Babs is right here.
It is too easy to score in hurling these days. Anyone can score from inside the '65.
A heavier ball might encourage a bit more clever team play.

Roashter

Yeah, I too am in agreement with Babs on this one.
A goalkeeper can nearly hit the opposing full-forward line on a breezy day, and midfield is now more suited to runners rather than good fielders.

johnneycool

Quote from: Roashter on July 02, 2010, 10:56:51 AM
Yeah, I too am in agreement with Babs on this one.
A goalkeeper can nearly hit the opposing full-forward line on a breezy day, and midfield is now more suited to runners rather than good fielders.

Back to the balls that had a cork centre wrapped in cotton thread rather than those plastic/rubber thingies we have now.

Maybe a heavier ball might make midfield more relevent than it is now, but it'll also favour teams who like to deploy the extra man deep in their defence as the long range point will be harder to achieve and I'm not in favour of that.

Do any of you remember the super dooper bouncy hurling ball that was used for a few years about ten odd years ago? Found one the other day in the house and by god they can travel. Even i can score from the midway.

bottlethrower7

why do the media always have time for Babs and his rantings? And why do they always print what he says?

he made a mess of Tipp in his last stint there. I used to read his Sunday Times articles, but more for the laugh than anything else.

He shoots his mouth off so much that its hard to take anything he says seriously.

There are far more sensible and articular people out there whose views I'd be far more interested in hearing than babs.

Canalman

He is absolutely spot on. Never thought I would say that.

Time imo to make sliotar 15% heavier or there or there abouts. The old O'Neills sliotar (with the gold print) were top class as were the Cuffe sliotars. Both nowhere near as light as the new balls.

Minder

Do they still make Cuffe balls? They were a much sought after item when we were nicking balls at matches growing up.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

bottlethrower7

Quote from: Minder on July 02, 2010, 11:35:33 AM
Do they still make Cuffe balls? They were a much sought after item when we were nicking balls at matches growing up.

cuffe were way too light.

O'Neills were always the best ball but they didn't hold up well in the wet. The original Cummins sliotar (before the mini-Donal Og version) were great too.

theskull1

Cuffe ..great ball for holding up in training and they weren't as light as O'Neills

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

The Wedger

Quote from: johnneycool on July 02, 2010, 11:23:46 AM
Do any of you remember the super dooper bouncy hurling ball that was used for a few years about ten odd years ago? Found one the other day in the house and by god they can travel. Even i can score from the midway.
Those bouncy balls with the rubber in them were a disgrace.
They were used in 2003.
Look how far they bounce off Brendan Cummins' hurley in this sequence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM2cXKyFN84

Onlooker

A ball hopped over the bar for a point in the Tipp/Wexford game on Saturday.  I have never seen or heard of this happening before.  I think that Babs has a good point re the ball being used this year.

Applesisapples

Quote from: seafoid on July 01, 2010, 03:29:10 PM
Babs is always entertaining. If he was English he would be a national treasure along the lines of Des Lynam or Bobby Robson by now

Des Lynam is from County Clare!! ???

johnneycool

Quote from: Applesisapples on July 27, 2010, 12:44:29 PM

but BRITISH nonetheless.

Applesisapples

Quote from: johnneycool on July 27, 2010, 01:46:03 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on July 27, 2010, 12:44:29 PM

but BRITISH nonetheless.
Why is Clare in de Nort'? :D