Banding Hurleys?

Started by stevetharlear, March 26, 2008, 08:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevetharlear

Any of ye have any idea what kind of equipment I'd need for this. Living in the UK so hurleys need to last that bit longer as good ones are not readily available.

Thanks.

theskull1

If you want them to last a bit longer you'll need more than a band of tin

Letting sticks sit for a year or two whilst treating them every now and then with linseed oil will toughen them up no end. New timber is very dry (kiln dried) and is as a result very brittle (good for the hurley makers)

For banding, a vice and a couple pairs of vice grips can be used to bold the band in tension whilst you tack it on (start from the heel)
For fixing up here sikaflex is the glue of choice (blend of good adhesion with flexibility)

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

The Claw

Id be careful with the banding, especially a fresh hurl. I usually prefer a hurley without a band as I usually find that cracks appear along where the tack has been driven into the wood. But if you treat them like skull says there they should be strong enough to take the band.

plain and simple

can anyone inform me if it is true that two bands on the hurl are banned?

theskull1

Well they're trying to ban driving whilst smoking a cigarette, so the same logic may apply in this case

as in no logic
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

plain and simple

aye too right there doesn't seem to be any logic to it-just some in the club heard a rumour that it is has been muted