New structure to the Championship passed in Dublin

Started by tayto, December 13, 2007, 05:56:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tayto

Lucan Sarsfiled's proposal for a new structure to the Championship will be taken to congress in 2008.

The proposal goes as follows.

Provincial Championships:
Leave the provincial championships as is.

All Ireland Series:
Qualifiers dropped.
Three groups of Four teams.
Teams seeded on results from provincial championships.
Open draw after group stage with top teams playing quarter or semi finals.

Quite a simple format really compared tot he current one.

Lecale2

It is a simple formate but the provincial championships may have to start earlier if the All Ireland finalist are to be known by early September. It may persuade Galway to enter Leinster.

johnneycool

Is promotion/relegation factored into this or is it by invitation?

tayto

Quote from: Lecale2 on December 14, 2007, 09:05:59 AM
It is a simple formate but the provincial championships may have to start earlier if the All Ireland finalist are to be known by early September. It may persuade Galway to enter Leinster.

Yea, a few more games but there's talk of getting rid of the league play offs [which i agree with] so that's free up the time. The Walsh cup etc.. could be ditched as well for me.

tayto

Quote from: johnneycool on December 14, 2007, 10:13:07 AM
Is promotion/relegation factored into this or is it by invitation?

Not sure, It'd have to be factored in, Westmeath are doing great work and you have to have the chance to rise up the ranks.

Sean3

It's not a bad idea. How do they presume to find the top three seeds if there are only two meaningful provincial championships (well, 1 and a half I suppose)? Would it not be better to link seedings with league performances and reduce the provincial championships to separate competitions? I'm also not sure about 12 counties. Reduce the number and make it as competitive as possible so reducing the comfort zone.

Lecale2

Quote from: Sean3 on December 14, 2007, 03:52:33 PM
It's not a bad idea. How do they presume to find the top three seeds if there are only two meaningful provincial championships (well, 1 and a half I suppose)? Would it not be better to link seedings with league performances and reduce the provincial championships to separate competitions? I'm also not sure about 12 counties. Reduce the number and make it as competitive as possible so reducing the comfort zone.
I don't agree. 12 is about right. Standards will only improve if the likes of Dublin, Laois and Antrim are palying against the rest for the McCarthy Cup.

Rossfan

Anything would be an improvement on the system adopted recently - esp as far as doing anything for Antrim is concerned.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

INDIANA

best format i've read by miles but i'm sure the munster council will oppose it as bloody usual.

neilthemac

4 groups of three teams would be better? two games each per group. They'd be must win games for all teams!

tayto

Quote from: neilthemac on December 16, 2007, 12:17:32 PM
4 groups of three teams would be better? two games each per group. They'd be must win games for all teams!

yea was just thinking that myself, makes the play offs easier to work out as well.

scalder

3 groups of 4 – how do you get the quarter fianlists out of this as you need 8 teams?

tayto

4 groups of three would seem to make much more sense. a minor tweak!  ;D

Rossfan

This proposal is  on the Clár for Congress as far as I'm aware.
I presume it will be referred to the HD Committee to consider.
Isnt it time they sat down and listed all the possible systems from straight knock out to a Super League type thing with k o at the end.
Then examine each of them and list all the pros and cons. Put the whole lot outto the Counties to discuss and take it from there. Then stick with the chosen format for at least 5 years.
The last few years has seen them go kneejerk fashion from one format to another with no thought ( Antrim situation) as to the consequences. Indeed the original 2008 format wasnt even proceeded with.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

glenullinabu

Quote from: tayto on December 13, 2007, 05:56:15 PM
Lucan Sarsfiled's proposal for a new structure to the Championship will be taken to congress in 2008.

The proposal goes as follows.

Provincial Championships:
Leave the provincial championships as is.

All Ireland Series:
Qualifiers dropped.
Three groups of Four teams.
Teams seeded on results from provincial championships.
Open draw after group stage with top teams playing quarter or semi finals.

Quite a simple format really compared tot he current one.

great idea