National hurling league Round 1

Started by slow corner back, February 08, 2008, 08:44:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timmykelleher

I read on another website that one of JBM's first years in charge of Cork was spent in Division 2. Again possibly a kick in the backside for Cork as it was for Kilkenny as mentioned above.

It mightn't do Offaly and Wexford any harm.

It'll certainly give the likes of Down games at the level they need to progress.

Corcaigh - McGrath cup champions - 2009

AZOffaly

A Division 2 with good games is no harm. However, from Offaly's perspective, it's frightening because the last time we played in Division 2 was the league season which 'prepared' us for the 31 point drubbing by Kilkenny. Quite simply we were blown away by the pace and strength of the cats.

Next year it will probably be a lot more even with more better teams, and some coming teams in it, so it should be more testing. Carlow beat us in Division 2 that year before we came back and hammered them in the Division 2 league final.

imtommygunn

Realistically that was closer to the lower end of division 2 now and what will be most of division 3 so it will be somewhat different.

Wexford, Laois and Antrim should give you a rattle even if you are well drilled. Carlow beat you because , more than likely, you were ill prepared or just very complacent.

I'd also be in favour of say the top team in division 1 getting into knock out stages - then they can play at the "higher" level for a game at least.

Realistically I'd expect you to beat Laois or Antrim. However Wexford, on their day, could take you so you'll get at the very very least one good game.

Guillem2

I think we have to accept that the setup for next years leagues will do us more good than getting beaten by 20 pts in Kilkenny or Cork. All of the games could be tricky enough for favorites depending on where the game is played. The 4 teams moving into the new Div 2 from the old Div 2 can all be a handfull at home. Wexford, Offaly and Antrim can all have realistic ambitions of promotion. Is it 1 up 1 down?
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

scalder

Could be wrong but my understanding is that the team topping Division 2 get a play off with the lowest team in division 1 to decide relegation/promotion which makes gaining promotion extremely tough, too tough in my opinion. Two up 2 down would be ok with me though.

timmykelleher

How much of Offaly's poor performance in the league is down to the fact Birr usually get to a leinster club final every year?
Corcaigh - McGrath cup champions - 2009

AZOffaly

Well, it's never easy to play when you are our size, and you're missing probably 5 or 6 starters off the team, especially as they would be some of the better players. But our 'bad' league performances are not as bad as you might think. Last year we beat Waterford in Walsh Park, drew with Galway this year, and narrowly lost to Clare. Three years nearly unbeaten at home iwas not bad and we made the 1/4 finals a couple of years ago. Having said that, we have shipped the odd trimming, as well as silly losses like Laois this year.

INDIANA