Longford v Kerry - National League QF 1984

Started by Shamrock Shore, March 20, 2018, 04:56:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

I came across this over the weekend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPVhpCjTJ_k&feature=youtu.be

I remember it well in a sense. Longford hosting the mighty Kerry (Kerry waived home advantage). At this time the League had QFs. Top 4 in Div 1, Top 2 in Div 2 and winners of Div 3 and Div 4 (or it could have been Div 3 North and Div 3 South)

But isn't memory terrible. There was I, thinking in my memory (having not seen it since 1984), that it was marvellous fare.

But, fcuk me, it's dreadful now that I see it again. It's a lump-a-thon on a dreadful pitch in a dreadful dank park with dreadful miserable looking people. We took an early 1-04 to 0-00 lead but Kerry reeled us in. Paidi was playing but, by all accounts, he was still hungover from going on the tear the night before.

Ireland in the 80s.  :-[

seafoid

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on March 20, 2018, 04:56:30 PM

I remember it well in a sense. Longford hosting the mighty Kerry (Kerry waived home advantage). At this time the League had QFs. Top 4 in Div 1, Top 2 in Div 2 and winners of Div 3 and Div 4 (or it could have been Div 3 North and Div 3 South)

But isn't memory terrible. There was I, thinking in my memory (having not seen it since 1984), that it was marvellous fare.

But, fcuk me, it's dreadful now that I see it again. It's a lump-a-thon on a dreadful pitch in a dreadful dank park with dreadful miserable looking people. We took an early 1-04 to 0-00 lead but Kerry reeled us in. Paidi was playing but, by all accounts, he was still hungover from going on the tear the night before.

Ireland in the 80s wasn't that bad. Nobody had 700k mortgages when interest rates started to go up.
Laois won the league in 86.
It's interesting that Longford and Carlow are blooming now  while Meath and the flour bags are stagnating.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Owenmoresider

At least there was a decent stand in Longford then. ;)

Shamrock Shore

Quote from: Owenmoresider on March 20, 2018, 05:56:01 PM

At least there was a decent stand in Longford then. ;)

LOL.

TBH I'd say stand in 1984 was falling down too but nobody passed a bit a heed back then

laoislad

QuoteIt's a lump-a-thon on a dreadful pitch in a dreadful dank park with dreadful miserable looking people.
Not much has changed in Longford since... ;D
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

AZOffaly

Jaysus SS. you're harsh. I've just watched the first 5 minutes and the football isn't bad at all. Lovely foot passing. Poor shooting alright. But that first Longford score was lovely. A sideline, and a lay off one two and a great long range point.

Shamrock Shore

Good man Laoislad! Would hate to see Laois in 198!

AZ - maybe I am too harsh - I'm a bit grumpy today.

What I am delighted in seeing again is the famous John 'Speedy' McCormack dummy that left manys a back flat on their holes.

There is a prime example about 10 mins in.

He was one of the best Longford ever produced.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on March 20, 2018, 06:58:28 PM

What I am delighted in seeing again is the famous John 'Speedy' McCormack dummy that left manys a back flat on their holes.

Dessie Barry. That man could turn on a sixpence.

seafoid

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on March 20, 2018, 06:58:28 PM

Did he win an all-star? 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Shamrock Shore

Nah. No county gets an All Star without having some sort of a summer run.

Longford has never had an All Star  :-[

Bod Mor

Just watched the first 3 minutes and Johnny McCormack looks as good a forward as you'd see nowadays! Two fine points from play. Quick thinking and fine execution for the first. Genius skill and accuracy for the second. Take a bow Johnny!
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

magpie seanie

Longford always had good players and is gaelic football mad. Just never had enough of them ot the one time.

Shamrock Shore

Quote from: Bod Mor on March 21, 2018, 10:00:59 AM
Just watched the first 3 minutes and Johnny McCormack looks as good a forward as you'd see nowadays! Two fine points from play. Quick thinking and fine execution for the first. Genius skill and accuracy for the second. Take a bow Johnny!

Seriously 'Speedy' McCormack was class. I know most people think of Dessie Barry from that era but, for my money, Speedy was just as good. There was a bit of a Matt Le Tissier about him, looked non-interested and lazy at times, but when he had the ball he could make goms of even the best opponent.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on March 21, 2018, 10:56:48 AM
Quote from: Bod Mor on March 21, 2018, 10:00:59 AM

Seriously 'Speedy' McCormack was class. I know most people think of Dessie Barry from that era but, for my money, Speedy was just as good. There was a bit of a Matt Le Tissier about him, looked non-interested and lazy at times, but when he had the ball he could make goms of even the best opponent.
I remember in one commentary, Jimmy Magee referred to McCormack as 'Dead Eye Dick'. I'm not sure why though.

The Hill is Blue

The best Longford team ever has to be the team of the mid 60s. I saw them play many times during that era and they were one of the classiest teams around, eventually surpassing even the great Galway team of that time.

I saw them play New York in Croke Park in 1966 in what has to be the filthiest display of thuggery (from New York) that was ever seen on a football field.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8