McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

never kickt a ball

Saffrons boosted by quintet's return
20 November 2013

Five of the top footballers in Antrim have been recalled to the county squad by new manager Liam Bradley.

The Glenullin man's "second coming" as manager has started on a positive note with the return of the Cargin trio Tomas McCann, Tony Scullion and Michael McCann, along with St. Gall's forward CJ McGourty and Portglenone's Niall McKeever, who has returned from a four-year stint in Aussie Rules.

Outgoing manager Frank Dawson dropped Tomas McCann and Scullion on the eve of this year's Allianz League encounter with Monaghan in Clones over travel arrangements, while Michael McCann withdrew his services owing to work commitments. McGourty, meanwhile, wasn't considered by last season's management.

On the minus side, experienced duo Aodhan Gallagher and Sean Kelly have turned down invitations to rejoin the panel, with Gallagher set the spend the next year in Cardiff.

"I have Tomas McCann back, I've Michael McCann back, I've CJ McGourty back and Tony Scullion," Bradley told the Irish News.

"Those are the type of players who I feel should be stepping up to the mark, putting their shoulder to the wheel and pulling Antrim out of Division 4 next year.

"I made 39 phone calls and I got a response from 34 players. That can't be bad. There are only about three of that 34 that are U21, so it shows those guys are still interested in playing for the county. I got five negative responses and unfortunately they are players I'd love to have had.

"Aodhan Gallagher is going to Cardiff and is taking a year out. Sean (Kelly) didn't want to come back next season.

"The only reason he went back and played championship last season was because his father is great with Frank Dawson and I'd rather he tells me now than later. I appreciate that. But 'Aidso' and Sean Kelly are two players I'd love to have had." - See more at: http://www.hoganstand.com/Antrim/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=205026#sthash.i9Uzuo3s.dpuf

never kickt a ball

Quote from: FermGael on November 12, 2013, 08:27:33 PM
Quote from: never kickt a ball on November 12, 2013, 07:45:09 PM
Sorry left out this from previous post:

Ulster GAA also confirmed that Ulster Inter-Provincial Joe Kernan will serve as a mediator for any player disputes in the competition.

Why can't the ulster council  grow a set and actually make a decision?

Kernan seeks 'common ground'
21 November

McKenna Cup mediator Joe Kernan insists he won't pressurise inter-county managers into releasing players to their colleges.

The Crossmaglen and Ulster inter-provincial manager was appointed last week to mediate in disputes between county and college teams ahead of the start of next season's Ulster pre-season competition. Under the rules of the McKenna Cup, colleges are entitled to have first call on student players, but some inter-county managers - including Tyrone's Mickey Harte - haven't always complied.

Speaking to the Irish News, Kernan said he will be relying on the goodwill of managers in a bid to resolve any disputes which may arise.

"I'm not there to beat someone and say: 'If you don't do this, then this will be your penalty.' All I will be saying is that they have released no players. I will ask them: 'Is there any player you can release which will help the colleges field a team?'

"I will remind them that their players will still be playing matches and they will be able to watch them. My job is very simple. If people don't want to talk to each other, I will go in between and ask a few questions."

The former Armagh boss added: "When I was a county manager myself, we always tried to facilitate the colleges and we did release players.

"My only problem with colleges was when they used players who we knew were injured. Then I had a problem. Otherwise, we facilitated the colleges.

"Like the referees, like the media, everybody has a job to do and you try to facilitate as many people as possible. You are not always going to make everybody happy, but there should be a bit of common ground." -

See more at: http://www.hoganstand.com/Cavan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=205070#sthash.blhudBhs.dpuf

BennyCake

This thing with big Joe as mediator is nonsense. County managers don't care about any university team, they only care about themselves. Guaranteed, there'll be plenty of players caught in the middle. The Ulster council are relying on the goodwill of managers to allow their players to play for their colleges. It won't happen.

They had a year to sort it out. It should have been sorted out 5 or 6 years ago, truth be told. A rule should be made saying either counties have first choice or the colleges. Or each county can have a certain number of college players etc. Grab the bull by the horns, and make a proper feckin' decision on the matter, otherwise we'll have more of what happened last January.

never kickt a ball

Sunday 5th January at 2pm

Round 1

Section A

Donegal V Tyrone
Armagh V QUB

Fermanagh V St Mary's
Monaghan V Derry

Antrim V Cavan
Down V UUJ

Sunday 12th January at 2pm

Round 2

Tyrone V QUB
Armagh V Donegal

Monaghan V St Mary's
Derry V Fermanagh at Owenbeg

Antrim V UUJ
Cavan V Down

Wednesday 15th January at 7.30pm

Round 3

Tyrone V Armagh
Donegal V QUB

Fermanagh V Monaghan
Derry V St Mary's

Down V Antrim
Cavan V UUJ

Semi Finals Sunday 19th January

Final Saturday 25th January

ck

Quote from: BennyCake on November 22, 2013, 01:07:29 AM
This thing with big Joe as mediator is nonsense. County managers don't care about any university team, they only care about themselves. Guaranteed, there'll be plenty of players caught in the middle. The Ulster council are relying on the goodwill of managers to allow their players to play for their colleges. It won't happen.

They had a year to sort it out. It should have been sorted out 5 or 6 years ago, truth be told. A rule should be made saying either counties have first choice or the colleges. Or each county can have a certain number of college players etc. Grab the bull by the horns, and make a proper feckin' decision on the matter, otherwise we'll have more of what happened last January.

What planet have you been on over the last few years? There IS a rule already! It's states that colleges have first pick on players. This is the whole point and it's why Queen's university pulled the plug last year stating that rules weren't being enforced by the Ulster Council. They just turn a blind eye when county managers tell students they have to play with counties. The ulster council still won't enforce rules this year, instead they employ big Joe Kernan to do some PR job for them and then say Oh we did our best to sort it.
Here's the real question, Why is the Ulster Council the only one of the four provinces who has this issue every year? Mickey Harte and Jimmy McGuinness have too much power?
The Ulster Council are spineless cowards and the McKenna cup proves it. They haven't the balls to stand up to ego maniac county managers.

BennyCake

Quote from: ck on November 24, 2013, 01:40:43 AM
What planet have you been on over the last few years? There IS a rule already! It's states that colleges have first pick on players. This is the whole point and it's why Queen's university pulled the plug last year stating that rules weren't being enforced by the Ulster Council. They just turn a blind eye when county managers tell students they have to play with counties. The ulster council still won't enforce rules this year, instead they employ big Joe Kernan to do some PR job for them and then say Oh we did our best to sort it.
Here's the real question, Why is the Ulster Council the only one of the four provinces who has this issue every year? Mickey Harte and Jimmy McGuinness have too much power?
The Ulster Council are spineless cowards and the McKenna cup proves it. They haven't the balls to stand up to ego maniac county managers.

A rule that is continually not enforced, is not a rule.

Mickey Harte is the main culprit. Always has been. He pre-empted things in his Irish News column last week. He'll be selecting any player he wants regardless of Joe Kernan's appointment. The Ulster Council need to grow a set, and stand up to dictators like him.

Rawhide

Lads this is an inter county compo, the mistake was taking in the universities to try and galvanise an already cramped season. Harte's main point is correct, if you are preparing for the league you need your players to be playing together to ensure you hit the ground running. I feel sorry for the universities who agreed to play in the compo in the belief they would have all their players so they could prepare for the sigerson, they have been treated poorly by the Ulster council, but my my point still stands, inter county league games is at the cut throat end of business, no room for generosity.
cccc is a true supporter lol

never kickt a ball

26 November 2013 Last updated at 15:16
Eoin Bradley to skip Derry's McKenna Cup campaign
Derry forward Eoin Bradley says he will continue to play for Coleraine in the Irish League and will miss the GAA's McKenna Cup competition.
The McKenna Cup is seen as a warm-up event during which county managers experiment before the League campaign.
Glenullin club man Bradley, 29, said he had still to decide between playing for Coleraine or switching to Gaelic when the league starts in February.
"I am concentrating on Coleraine and I am enjoying it," said Bradley.
Recently Derry manager Brian McIver ruled out any possibility of Bradley playing both codes when the GAA county season resumes.
Bradley said he understood the stance taken by the Oak Leaf boss.
"I have spoken to Brian about it and I suppose when National League time comes he will be looking for me to play the Gaelic.
"Coleraine manager Oran Kearney has given me a bit of leeway. I was wanting to play both, but Brian doesn't see it that way.
"So I will just play it by ear and see what happens, but I can see where Brian is coming from.
"I am enjoying playing for Coleraine and everyone at the club has made me welcome.
"I will not really know what I am going to do until January or February.
"I will chat is over with my family and decide in the next week or so."
Bradley joined Coleraine just before the transfer deadline early in the season, signing from Championship side Ballymoney United.
He has scored five goals in nine appearances, although the Bannsiders slipped into the bottom three in the Irish Premiership by losing 4-0 away to Coleraine last Saturday.

BBC Sport

never kickt a ball

2014 Provisional Squad Announced

Armagh Manager Paul Grimley has finalised his provisional squad for the 2014 season that includes 13 new members to the squad and 27 of last years retaining their places.  Andy Mallon, an All Star in 2005, now plying his trade in Dublin is back in the squad. After a successful season with their club, Annaghmore trio Mathew McNeice, Oisin McKeever & Ciaran McKeever have been drafted in. Four players who played in the Senior Club Final have also been added to the squad, Kyle Carragher and Paul Hughes of Crossmaglen and Robbie Tasker and Michael Murray of St Patrick's Cullyhanna.
The backroom team to work with Paul in 2014 are Peter McDonnell (Assistant Manager), Kieran McGeeney (Head Coach), Martin McQuillan (Football Coach), Julie Davis (Strenght & Conditioning), James Doyle (Speed Coach), Brian McAlinden, Benny Tierney (Goalkeeping Coaches), Paul Carragher, Sean McSorley (Physio Staff), Paddy McNamee, Michael Treanor (Kit Personnel), Paul Kelly (Team Liason/Operations) and Dr Martin McConaghy (Medical Consultant).

The Full list of players within the squad are below split between those in the 2013 squad and those new to the 2014 squad:
Pilib Mac Fhíobhuí   Philip Mc Evoy   Dromintee
Pól Mac an tSaoi   Paul Mc Entee   Crossmaglen
Niall Mac Eochagáin   Niall Geoghegan   Middletown
Breandán MacDonnchaidh   Brendan Donaghy   Clonmore
Marcas Ó Siail   Mark Shields   Whitecross
Séamus Ó Donnaile   James Donnelly   Killeavy
Séamus Ó Muireagáin   James Morgan   Crossmaglen
Aaron Mac Thiarnáin   Aaron Kernan   Crossmaglen
Finnian Ó Muircheartaigh   Finian Moriarty   Wolfe Tones
Pól Mac Eoghain   Paul Mc Keown   Crossmaglen
Ciarán Mac Íomhair   Ciaran Mc Keever   St Patricks
Garaí Mac Cumhaí   Gary McCoey   St Patricks
Cathal Mac Mhearnáin   Charlie Vernon   Armagh Harps
Stiofán Ó hArailt   Stephen Harold   Carrickcruppen
Séamus Ó Labhra   James Lavery   Maghery
Ciarán Ó Tomhnair   Kieran Toner   Granemore
Seán Ó hAnrachtaigh   Johnny Hanratty   Crossmaglen
Aodhán Mac Fearchair   Aiden Forker   Maghery
Stefan Mac Cathmhaoil   Stefan Campbell   Clan na Gael
Antaine Mac Thiarnáin   Tony Kernan   Crossmaglen
Stefan Mac Fearchair   Stefan Forker   Maghery
Caolán Ó Raifeartaigh   Caolan Rafferty   Granemore
Eoghan Mac Fearraigh   Eugene McVerry   Mullaghbawn
Ruairí Ó Gruagáin   Rory Grugan   Ballymacnab
Ethan Ó Raifeartaigh   Ethan Rafferty   Grange
Brian Ó Mealláin   Brian Mallon   Tir Na Nog
Niall Mac Conmhaoil   Niall McConville   St Peters
Séamus Ó Cléirigh   Jamie Clarke   Crossmaglen
New players to the squad in 2014
Maitiú Mac Naois   Mathew McNeice   Annaghmore
Paudí Mac Ruairí   Paudi Rodgers   Lissummon
Aindriú Ó Mealláin   Andy Mallon   Parnells
Pól Ó hAodha   Paul Hughes   Crossmaglen
Mícheál Ó Muirí   Michael Murray   St Patricks
Aaron Findon   Aaron Findon   St Peters
Riobeard Tasker   Robbie Tasker   St Patricks
Caoimhín Ó Ruairc   Kevin O'Rourke   Mayobridge
Oisín Mac Íomhair   Oisín Mac Íomhair   Annaghmore
Ciarán Mac Íomhair   Ciarán Mac Íomhair   Annaghmore
Féilim Ó Néill   Phelim O'Neill   St Pauls
Ciarán Ó Raifeartaigh   Ciaran Rafferty   Madden
Kyle Mac Fhearchair   Kyle Carragher   Crossmaglen

orangeman

41 players.

Good looking squad there. Armagh with Mc Geeney and Grimley will be a force in the coming years.

FermGael

Quote from: never kickt a ball on November 28, 2013, 06:55:51 PM

Armagh Manager Paul Grimley has finalised his provisional squad for the 2014 season that includes 13 new members to the squad and 27 of last years retaining their places.  Andy Mallon, an All Star in 2005, now plying his trade in Dublin is back in the squad. After a successful season with their club, Annaghmore trio Mathew McNeice, Oisin McKeever & Ciaran McKeever have been drafted in. Four players who played in the Senior Club Final have also been added to the squad, Kyle Carragher and Paul Hughes of Crossmaglen and Robbie Tasker and Michael Murray of St Patrick's Cullyhanna.
The backroom team to work with Paul in 2014 are Peter McDonnell (Assistant Manager), Kieran McGeeney (Head Coach), Martin McQuillan (Football Coach), Julie Davis (Strenght & Conditioning), James Doyle (Speed Coach), Brian McAlinden, Benny Tierney (Goalkeeping Coaches), Paul Carragher, Sean McSorley (Physio Staff), Paddy McNamee, Michael Treanor (Kit Personnel), Paul Kelly (Team Liason/Operations) and Dr Martin McConaghy (Medical Consultant).

The Full list of players within the squad are below split between those in the 2013 squad and those new to the 2014 squad:

That is some back room team.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

orangeman

Quote from: FermGael on November 29, 2013, 01:17:11 PM
Quote from: never kickt a ball on November 28, 2013, 06:55:51 PM

That is some back room team.

Good size backroom team but that's what most teams have now. Add in physios, masseurs, sports psychology etc and you'd be up near the 20 mark.

never kickt a ball

Provisional Fermanagh Senior Football Panel 2014

A chairde,
On behalf of the Fermanagh Senior Football management team, I would like to acknowledge the
clubs of Fermanagh for their support in relation to the numbers of players who attended the Senior
trials over the past few weeks. We would also like to sincerely thank those clubs who provided their
facilities and showed us great hospitality.
The following players have now made the provisional senior football panel for 2014.

Club Players Name
Ederney St Josephs Christopher Snow
Belcoo James McGrath
Madden Ronan Gallagher
Lisnaskea John Woods
Belcoo Brian Cox
Maguiresbridge Conor Hyde
Tempo Conor Foy
Devenish Barry Mulrone
Roslea Niall Cassidy
Ederney St Josephs Declan Mc Cusker
Devenish Marty O'Brien
Tempo Aidan Breen
Roslea Conor Quigley
Brookeborough Tommy McElroy
Enniskillen Gaels Ryan McCluskey
Teemore Barry Owens
Enniskillen Gaels Niall Shannon
Tempo Damian Kelly
Coa Eoin Donnelly
Ederney St Josephs Stephen McElrone
Maguiresbridge Ryan Hyde
Belnaleck Dwayne McNulty
Derrygonnelly Ryan Jones
Enniskillen Gaels Richard O'Callaghan
Derrygonnelly Conal Jones
Roslea Sean Quigley
Ederney St Josephs Michael Mc Aleer
Ederney St Josephs Paul Mc Cusker
Kinawley Ruairi Corrigan
Devenish Jason Love
Derrygonnelly Tiarnan Daly
Tempo Niall McElroy
Roslea Seamie Quigley
Tempo Darryl Keenan
Irvinestown Ronan Ormsby
Kinawley Tomas Corrigan
St.Patricks Eamon Maguire
Aughadrumsee Eddie Courtney
Brookeborough Aiden Boyle
Devenish Chris O'Brien

We also acknowledge the players who have not made the panel at this time and thank them for their
effort and commitment throughout the trials. Rest assured that the management team will continue
to monitor matches throughout the season and that the panel is always open for those who show
the correct attitude and effort for senior inter-county football.
Is mise le meas,
Pete McGrath
Fermanagh Senior Team Manager

Milltown Row2

Paddy Power have a game fixed for tomorrow night, Armagh V Down, is this McKenna Cup?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyCake

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 04, 2013, 06:22:16 PM
Paddy Power have a game fixed for tomorrow night, Armagh V Down, is this McKenna Cup?

No, that's the O'Fiaich Cup.