2015 All Stars

Started by ONeill, August 10, 2015, 11:45:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron Boone

In all fairness, Aidan O'Shea was magnificent that day v Sligo. It was an All Star performance by Aidan and an All-Ireland winning performance by his team.

criostlinn

Nah. He shite that O'Shea lad. Pure shite. Sure that lad from Sligo who was marking him is  only a gosuwar. And sure he never played full back in his life. And that Hanley buck from Galway, sure he's past it. Against Donegal. He caught one ball and Mark McHugh slipped so nothing great about that. As for Dublin. Need I say more. One point from play in 2 matches. Gimme a break. Cillian 'OConnir was the man in these games slotting all the frees over the bar. O'Shea never performs in semi's or finals, not like McManus or Quigley. Now them boys know how to stand up on the big days.

Syferus

Quote from: criostlinn on November 08, 2015, 12:17:52 AM
Nah. He shite that O'Shea lad. Pure shite. Sure that lad from Sligo who was marking him is  only a gosuwar. And sure he never played full back in his life. And that Hanley buck from Galway, sure he's past it. Against Donegal. He caught one ball and Mark McHugh slipped so nothing great about that. As for Dublin. Need I say more. One point from play in 2 matches. Gimme a break. Cillian 'OConnir was the man in these games slotting all the frees over the bar. O'Shea never performs in semi's or finals, not like McManus or Quigley. Now them boys know how to stand up on the big days.

Don't know why you've decided to pick those lads out. McManus was the real PotY in terms of impact on the field throughout the year and importance to his team while Quigley was immense for Fermanagh. Certainly more worthy than Walsh, which seems a mad call all told.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Syferus on November 07, 2015, 01:49:05 PM
Quote from: maigheo on November 07, 2015, 12:17:58 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 07, 2015, 07:40:14 AM
Quote from: Beffs on November 07, 2015, 01:54:05 AM
That's ok Maigheo, I'd hardly expect someone from Mayo to be able to look at any criticism of the Beast of Breaffy, without getting their knickers in a twist. Sacred cows and all that....
It was touch and go to see whether he'd get one alright. I thought Parsons had a better chance of getting one. Keegan, for me was Mayo's only 'nailed on' all star.
Not according to Ray Silke.In his article in the examiner he states that Keegan is the only selection that was wrong.Not sure what planet he is living on at the moment but there must not have been any coverage of Mayo's games this year

Ray Silke. I dunno. He's like a cut-price Brolly.

Keegan is the best HB in football, including the current PotY. Was immense for Mayo this year.

Silke still can't understand why the Teachers in St. Geralds Castlebar (where he worked at the time) felt a bit awkward when he brought in Sam in 1998. I suppose Keegans antics at the end of the Mayo/Galway must have got to Silke.

criostlinn

Quote from: Syferus on November 08, 2015, 12:29:55 AM

Don't know why you've decided to pick those lads out. McManus was the real PotY in terms of impact on the field throughout the year and importance to his team while Quigley was immense for Fermanagh. Certainly more worthy than Walsh, which seems a mad call all told.

Right. And what did I say about them

Syferus

Quote from: criostlinn on November 08, 2015, 12:35:28 AM
Quote from: Syferus on November 08, 2015, 12:29:55 AM

Right. And what did I say about them

..and it's also clear the sneering tone you used it in. No need to diminish others to defend AOS.

Schkite

Strange to have a pop at McManus, considering the year he's had. If you put him into the Mayo forward line I think they probably win the All Ireland, that's the difference he'd make.

Not his fault he doesn't have the team around him that O'Shea does, and doesn't get to play in those big days you mention. He's certainly one man that's never found wanting on Monaghan's big days.

criostlinn

I wasn't having a pop at Conor McManus. A fine player and I've no problem with his all star. But to say he hasn't the team around him is a bit ridiculous considering he was playing for the Ulster champions. I'm having a pop at the idiots that suggest O'Shea shouldn't be in the team because they consider his impact in the semi final insufficient but at the same time lads who didn't even play in the semi's are been bigged up as the real deal.  It seems to be ok to have a pop at Aiden O'Shea and dismiss his performances all year but other players aren't held to the same standards.

Hound

Quote from: criostlinn on November 08, 2015, 12:44:11 PM
I wasn't having a pop at Conor McManus. A fine player and I've no problem with his all star. But to say he hasn't the team around him is a bit ridiculous considering he was playing for the Ulster champions. I'm having a pop at the idiots that suggest O'Shea shouldn't be in the team because they consider his impact in the semi final insufficient but at the same time lads who didn't even play in the semi's are been bigged up as the real deal.  It seems to be ok to have a pop at Aiden O'Shea and dismiss his performances all year but other players aren't held to the same standards.
O'Shea had a good year, but if the 3 in the full forward line are between him, Brogan, McManus, Andrews, Quigley and Murphy I'm not sure he deserved to be in the top 3. I certainly would have picked Andrews.

I'm a fan of Donnchadh Walsh, but I'd have picked Diarmuid O'Connor ahead of him this year.
Midfield also a toss up between the two that got it and Parsons and Cavanagh. I probably would have gone for the latter two (wouldn't have minded Fenton missing out, as a rookie All Star often leads to 2nd season syndrome with the increased expectations).

The Aristocrat

Quote from: Syferus on November 07, 2015, 01:49:05 PM
Quote from: maigheo on November 07, 2015, 12:17:58 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 07, 2015, 07:40:14 AM
Quote from: Beffs on November 07, 2015, 01:54:05 AM
That's ok Maigheo, I'd hardly expect someone from Mayo to be able to look at any criticism of the Beast of Breaffy, without getting their knickers in a twist. Sacred cows and all that....
It was touch and go to see whether he'd get one alright. I thought Parsons had a better chance of getting one. Keegan, for me was Mayo's only 'nailed on' all star.
Not according to Ray Silke.In his article in the examiner he states that Keegan is the only selection that was wrong.Not sure what planet he is living on at the moment but there must not have been any coverage of Mayo's games this year

Ray Silke. I dunno. He's like a cut-price Brolly.

Keegan is the best HB in football, including the current PotY. Was immense for Mayo this year.

Keep dreaming.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on October 01, 2015, 09:55:31 AM
Nice to see Kieran Martin getting a nomination although he probably cost John Heslin a nomination by being selected in the forwards.

I think you've got the team spot on there Schkite but there is room for manoeuvre this year:

Brendan Kealy (Kerry)

Shane Enright (Kerry), Rory O'Carroll (Dublin), Philip McMahon (Dublin) (Outside chance of Cathal McCarron instead of Rory O'Carroll)
Lee Keegan (Mayo), Cian O'Sullivan (Dublin), Jack McCaffrey (Dublin) (Again McCarthy could nick it in front of O'Sullivan)

Brian Fenton (Dublin), Anthony Maher (Kerry) (Parsons or Cavanagh would not be a huge shock here instead of Maher)

Mattie Donnelly (Tyrone), Ciarán Kilkenny (Dublin), Donnchadh Walsh (Kerry) (Kilkenny in danger here from Connolly, Murphy and Harte)
Conor McManus (Monaghan), Aidan O'Shea (Mayo), Bernard Brogan (Dublin) (Nailed on)

7 Dublin
4 Kerry
2 Mayo
1 Tyrone
1 Monaghan

POTY Jack McCaffrey (Dublin) (Outside chance for Philly if he continues his media charm offensive and doesn't get a ban for the gouge)
YPOTY Diarmuid O'Connor (Mayo) (Cert)

Them selectors know their onions.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on November 09, 2015, 03:06:56 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on October 01, 2015, 09:55:31 AM
Nice to see Kieran Martin getting a nomination although he probably cost John Heslin a nomination by being selected in the forwards.

I think you've got the team spot on there Schkite but there is room for manoeuvre this year:

Brendan Kealy (Kerry)

Shane Enright (Kerry), Rory O'Carroll (Dublin), Philip McMahon (Dublin) (Outside chance of Cathal McCarron instead of Rory O'Carroll)
Lee Keegan (Mayo), Cian O'Sullivan (Dublin), Jack McCaffrey (Dublin) (Again McCarthy could nick it in front of O'Sullivan)

Brian Fenton (Dublin), Anthony Maher (Kerry) (Parsons or Cavanagh would not be a huge shock here instead of Maher)

Mattie Donnelly (Tyrone), Ciarán Kilkenny (Dublin), Donnchadh Walsh (Kerry) (Kilkenny in danger here from Connolly, Murphy and Harte)
Conor McManus (Monaghan), Aidan O'Shea (Mayo), Bernard Brogan (Dublin) (Nailed on)

7 Dublin
4 Kerry
2 Mayo
1 Tyrone
1 Monaghan

POTY Jack McCaffrey (Dublin) (Outside chance for Philly if he continues his media charm offensive and doesn't get a ban for the gouge)
YPOTY Diarmuid O'Connor (Mayo) (Cert)

Them selectors know their onions.
+1
Well done, Croí, you got it bang on.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi