Ronan Curran

Started by Reillers, August 25, 2011, 07:59:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

Curran calls it quits on inter-county career

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 07:43 AM

Cork centre-back Ronan Curran has announced his retirement from inter-county hurling.
The three time All Star will continue to line out for his club, St Finbarr's but will not be available for selection for the county side in 2012, the Irish Examiner reports.

"I had nine tough years but enjoyable years with Cork," said Curran, who was first brought onto the Cork senior set up by then manager Jimmy Barry Murphy in 2000 before making his championship debut in 2003.

"I enjoyed every minute of it. I'm sad to leave it but after the Galway defeat in the championship I knew it was time to leave. I'm not getting any younger and the legs are getting a bit more tired at this stage. I've played a lot of games in the last ten years or so. I think the time is right.

"There's a lot of preparation involved – you're training on your own in the gym through the winter, then in with the county team early in the year and through to August, September, October with the club.

"It's a long haul with diets, gym programmes and the likes. It's a tough game and it's very serious. But I enjoyed it all. Playing for Cork is a huge honour and something I always dreamed of, and when I got to do it I loved every minute."

The two time All-Ireland winner (2004 and 2005) intends to carry on with his club — they lost to Castlehaven in the Cork senior football championship last weekend — in the hunt for an elusive county medal.

"That's one medal I'd love to get, a county senior hurling championship with the Barr's. I'm looking forward to carrying on for as long as I can with them trying to win that. I also want to help out a bit back with the Barr's at underage level now that I don't have to give over so much time to the inter-county team."

The sales manager with Mycro Helmets also had high praise for his former team-mates and coaches.

"From my parents through to the coaches with the Barr's, everyone I was involved with at the inter-county level with Cork, all my team-mates — that's what the GAA is all about for me, the fact you make friends with people."

http://www.irishexaminer.ie/breakingnews/sport/curran-calls-it-quits-on-inter-county-career-517663.html#ixzz1VvpVBT58

An incredible player, he'll be badly missed. Best 6 in the country on his peak. 2003-2006 was when he was an absolute force.
Always stood up when things were going badly.
Was key to Cork's success.
Will be truly missed.

Loved watching him play, dominated in the air and read the game incredibly well.
A great player, with 3 very deserving All Stars.

Thanks for the memories lad. Best of luck with the club.

AZOffaly

Fine centre back, the pivot of a great half back line with Gardiner and Sean Og. Best of Luck to him.

orangeman

Brilliant player. Was massive when Cork were in their pomp. Not many got the better of him.

CorkMan

heffo

Classy player. Will JBM persuade him to give it another year or two?

INDIANA

More of a hurler then a politician.

My sort of player.

johnneycool

great hurler and sad to see leave the scene, but its a chance for JBM to build a new team again.

Roashter

brilliant hurler alright, will be a loss to Cork

dowling

No wee piece about the manager leaving Reillers? Maybe about how he he took over a difficult group of players at a difficult time for the county and while not getting any great success managed to steer Cork hurling into calmer waters at least? And perhaps how his introduction of younger players and less reliance on the older ones, as attempted by Ger McCarthy but prevented by a section of players, has given great hope that the county hurlers will be challanging for honours again sooner rather than later.