Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BealnaBlath

No conspiracy theories lads  here just saying it feels like another slap in the face for referees.

EOC1923

Quote from: BealnaBlath on October 13, 2021, 09:05:35 PM
No conspiracy theories lads  here just saying it feels like another slap in the face for referees.
Dont see how any referee would take offence as it was never a red card, as with Mick McCanns last year. If people were being let off for punching people i would agree.

BealnaBlath

Understand your point EOC and if it is clear mistake from ref then they are first to put hands up in my experience.

Wonder if many un20 games go ahead this week? Worth a proper restructure of fixtures next year. Discussion for another night  ;D

Calm Down

On what grounds is McKeever appealing? It didn't happen?

Saffrongael

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on October 13, 2021, 04:58:10 PM
Quote from: bannside on October 13, 2021, 01:03:08 PM
Take Dunloy hurlers as an example. Do Dunloy think they need to rely on schools or county development squads to make their players better. Not a chance.

They built their own facility, set up own centre of excellence, brought in own top rated S/C practitioners and most of al, treated their kids like kings from they were 6 years of age.

At no stage do they rely on a school or county led initiative to make THEIR players better.

That's the model right there as far as I can see!!
I'd be surprise if Dunloy didn't have a very supportive primary school helping getting the boys hurling and playing football. In belfast there are lots of diffferent sports pushed in schools but hopefully gaelfast will make a difference

Dunloy wouldn't be a great example, a club that was coming from a lot of success. Hurlings ingrained in the village and most of the families. Many of the current players fathers in Dunloy had Antrim championship medals coming out their ears. They weren't starting from zero.

From my own experience a club can be doing great things but if the kids at u-9 or u-10 are only training one hour a week for example and don't lift a hurl the rest of the week it's hard for them to reach their full potential.

Many families in clubs in Belfast don't have a Gaa background and don't push the kids (in a good way) and a lot of times it's just a passing fad and they don't stick at it. From what I have seen any parents that are involved in the club and have a background in Gaa the kids will stick at it.
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Sportacus

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on October 13, 2021, 06:46:34 PM
Yes. And I doubt we will for a right few years to come.

And when you consider that we were drilled by 27 points in the U17 Ulster Championship Preliminary round, it shouldn't come as a massive surprise that we don't have a pile of players capable of competing at elite level schools' football.
Cargin, Moneyglass and Creggan lads regularly play for Maghera and Magherafelt.  Aghagallon lads will feature for St Ronan's.  We have plenty of lads capable of playing at that level, most just don't get the chance to push themselves to that level.

bannside

You don't just play Mc Rory. You need to be accepted into the competition on merit, so unless a school is consistent throughout the various age groups they will remain confined to B Grade competition. Antrim schools used to be fairly competitive at B Grade level but I don't think they have been for quite a while. Is there a C Grade? Maybe Antrim schools could have a competition on their own!

Sincere apologies in advance to those genuinely dedicated teachers who have or do continue to serve in this capacity..but very obviously there is a huge problem in this regard. A teacher won't change this...you need a dozen teachers stepping up, two or three with each year group. It's simply not happening atm.

Any teachers wish to confirm or refute? This is the way it looks from the outside looking in.

I'm telling you, it's all about the club. Get that right the rest will follow. If teachers thought they had a reasonable chance of success, a quality squad, then they may be more inclined to put their hand up. They shouldn't have to start explaining the basics. That should be in place before they come in the gate at secondary level.

bannside

I have absolutely no doubt that in the right hands a "steering group" could safely bring 25 players through the system and return them as individuals with the right credentials to play at the highest level. You'd be looking at guys now aged 11 to 15, maybe 16, three to five in each year group. This is an eight to ten year plan.

(Check Pat Culhane, how to turn Limerick into a hurling empire, on You Tube. The story goes back over ten years).

There's so many aspects involved. Identifying talent. Make sure that talent is nurtured accordingly across all the disciplines, physical mental technical etc.

As I say in the right hands because this is like drawing a masterpiece. Many could try... but only the most dedicated to the attention of detail analysis, follow up, support structure and measurement procedure will succeed.

Those young players are amongst us. Can we turn them into diamonds?

The new director of football has a task ahead of him.

Caesar

Did we ever find out any more about the new "Director of Football" role?

What's the remit? What was the selection process? What is the plan?

bannside

Zero, Zilch, Nada, Nil, Nothing! However we continue to watch this space with increasing interest. Surprising alright that public details are so non existent about such an important appointment.

Points a Good Score

Are you implying there is something cloak and dagger about this BS?

imtommygunn

Bs has your account been hacked??

JimStynes

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 14, 2021, 08:36:36 PM
Bs has your account been hacked??

I'm surprised as well. Antrim and has been in worse states and Bannside was always so optimistic.

bannside

No Points. I know enough about the situation to know it was well intentioned. I know some of the names that were to be approached, but didn't see Gearoid ending up with the head job. Now that he has it I wish him well....it won't be easy....but if he manages to make a tangible difference he will deserve all the credit he gets.

My account hasn't been hacked at all. I'm just seeing football at a low ebb, a very poor quality, compared to a decade ago. We aren't thriving at any level, club school or county. Something needs to change or we will be playing same record in ten years. The only place I trust enough for change to happen is within ambitious clubs. They need to waken up and take complete responsibility for their players development from A to Z. If a county development programme or school input adds a few % on the journey, that's a bonus.

JimStynes

Quote from: bannside on October 14, 2021, 09:47:13 PM
No Points. I know enough about the situation to know it was well intentioned. I know some of the names that were to be approached, but didn't see Gearoid ending up with the head job. Now that he has it I wish him well....it won't be easy....but if he manages to make a tangible difference he will deserve all the credit he gets.

My account hasn't been hacked at all. I'm just seeing football at a low ebb, a very poor quality, compared to a decade ago. We aren't thriving at any level, club school or county. Something needs to change or we will be playing same record in ten years. The only place I trust enough for change to happen is within ambitious clubs. They need to waken up and take complete responsibility for their players development from A to Z. If a county development programme or school input adds a few % on the journey, that's a bonus.

The footballers have just been promoted. How can you see it at a lower ebb than usual. Antrim have literally been one of the worst football counties in Ireland in recent times and now they're up to the 3rd and have a good management team in place for a change. Things definitely aren't perfect but I thought it was better than normal.