Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stillwater2

What's the thoughts on the IFC and JFC games today?

Calm Down

Keep changing my mind on these games but think Paddies and Dunloy to go through

Calm Down

Eile my firmed I think you need to look up illegal! The laws of the GAA are not the laws of the land, therefore while paying managers maybe unlawful under the GAA rules of control it is not illegal! If you are talking about HMRC that is a different story however I would imagine many managers are doing tax returns and using their 'expenses' within the permitted laws. A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing, someone who thinks they have knowledge however is lethal to their own detriment

Belfast GAA man

Catching up here on a good straight talking debate my views are well known at this stage. I Did laugh at the statement aghagallon win good for the whole parish. What parish ? Not all your management team are from the parish so is it good for 2 parishes? Or 3 or 4 ?

imtommygunn

???

The aghagallon parish? Are you saying because the managers are not from there the team is not representative of the parish? Nonsense statement as usual.

EOC1923

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on October 24, 2021, 10:36:05 AM
Catching up here on a good straight talking debate my views are well known at this stage. I Did laugh at the statement aghagallon win good for the whole parish. What parish ? Not all your management team are from the parish so is it good for 2 parishes? Or 3 or 4 ?
What parish is Belfast? One big parish. One big shit parish at the minute in GAA terms.

JimStynes

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on October 24, 2021, 10:36:05 AM

Sorry, it's great for all the parishes involved. Especially Aghagallon

JimStynes

He's a wum lads. Wouldn't take much notice

Calm Down

Probably illegal? I would stop short of using such language as you are throwing about serious allegations at that point!

In terms of the lawfulness or other wise of such payment and financial reporting it will depend on the source of the funds, a private business man 'gifting' payment to a manager will not attract tax, 'expenses' do attract tax however can be offset by fuel, food etc

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on October 24, 2021, 10:12:28 AM
Quote from: Calm Down on October 24, 2021, 10:07:51 AM
REile my firmed I think you need to look up illegal! The laws of the GAA are not the laws of the land, therefore while paying managers maybe unlawful under the GAA rules of control it is not illegal! If you are talking about HMRC that is a different story however I would imagine many managers are doing tax returns and using their 'expenses' within the permitted laws. A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing, someone who thinks they have knowledge however is lethal to their own detriment
You would imagine a lot....

Anyway, I have always referred to it as "probably illegal". The drugs/mobile phone analogy was comparing something illegal in the GAA and something illegal in law.

And if (big if) managers are doing it correctly, how is it being documented in the GAA club's financial report?

Belfast GAA man

Calm Down

I will admit it doesn't look great but it is hidden in in plain sight! We all have to accept that change is there, engage in sensible conversation as to what that change looks like rather than ignore the obvious which you have pointed out

JimStynes

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on October 24, 2021, 11:05:43 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on October 24, 2021, 10:55:41 AM
Truth hurt lad?

Not at all. I couldn't give a shit if it was someone from Cork managing us. I think it's you that it annoys.

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: JimStynes on October 24, 2021, 11:16:27 AM
Quote from: Belfast GAA man on October 24, 2021, 11:05:43 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on October 24, 2021, 10:55:41 AM
Truth hurt lad?

Not at all. I couldn't give a shit if it was someone from Cork managing us. I think it's you that it annoys.
championship win with own people only involved is worth more than championship win with outsiders involved bcos its not all your victory and thats the truth and you know it

quit yo jibbajabba

Sorry to butt in but thats obvious.
The real question is championship win with an outsider or no championship with an insider.....again pretty obvious

Milltown Row2

The simple points are this, other than expenses managers are not supposed to be paid. The reality is a lot different, and that's been happening going back as far as I can remember. So it's not a new phenomenon.

I've been in those agm's over the years were no one puts their hand up or shows any interest.

I've also been part of teams who prefer outside managers because they feel it's an equal playing field

Ive also been ask to step in and take teams temporarily as they can't find anyone, very difficult to say no, and it usually lasts a season!!

Personally I've no problems with outside managers who are paid expenses but not stupid money that's going around or any money coming from inside the club.

The GAA should come out and have a proper discussion about this and stop brushing this topic under the carpet.

As for medical staff, unless you have a clubman/woman whose trained and willing to do that then it's a care of duty to bring someone in, paying them is ok

I've been asked to take outside teams in the past, I wouldn't take anything other than mileage. That's just me, I'm sure some of the figures banded about are probably vastly exaggerated tbf
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea