Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrendanAntrim

With the new system in place whereby the CR winners enter the AI qualifiers, we could find ourselves in the Liam McCarthy competition this year...no shortage of games for the hurlers with league, Ulster c'ship, CR Cup and potentially AI series.

Gizzy15

Quote from: BrendanAntrim on April 03, 2017, 11:50:31 PM
With the new system in place whereby the CR winners enter the AI qualifiers, we could find ourselves in the Liam McCarthy competition this year...no shortage of games for the hurlers with league, Ulster c'ship, CR Cup and potentially AI series.

Not wanting to sound too negative but I hope this doesn't result in a shortage of club games for a few of the best months of the year for hurling. Think if there is a county fixture overload then the CB and clubs affected should just bite the bullet so to speak and plough on with the club scene.

Milltown Row2

CR usually Saturday fixtures??
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 04, 2017, 07:10:09 AM

yes.

It's a big ask on lads to play two days on the bounce but we've been asking our lads to do if for years.

paddyjohn

Normally yeah. A very rare occasion on a Sunday.

NAG1

Quote from: paddyjohn on April 04, 2017, 09:20:35 AM

Then we will have the player welfare issue of teams not wanting to play on the sunday after their main men are tired or injured from the day before.

I think we need to suck it up this season and make a push with the county team and the clubs all pushing hard at the same time. Keep the league running and hopefully get a CR title something to build on for next year.

btdtgtt

As problems go it's not a bad one to have!

Let's hope we qualify and keep a vibrant club scene going - bumper summer hurling could set us up for few years to come.
Imagine the county team going well and loads of club games where guys suddenly want to get noticed by the county management.

Small acorns and all that!

paddyjohn

Quote from: NAG1 on April 04, 2017, 09:23:31 AM
Quote from: paddyjohn on April 04, 2017, 09:20:35 AM

Then we will have the player welfare issue of teams not wanting to play on the sunday after their main men are tired or injured from the day before.

I think we need to suck it up this season and make a push with the county team and the clubs all pushing hard at the same time. Keep the league running and hopefully get a CR title something to build on for next year.

I remember going to one in Swatragh quite a few years ago when Derry played Carlow on a Sunday.

BrendanAntrim

They are all on Saturdays this year. 8 teams in total, if a team goes unbeaten they play 4 games in total, finishing with final on June 10th.

Usain

Playing CR games on either Saturdays or Sundays should have no impact on club games IMO. We need to put the 99% of our playing population ahead of the elite few. Club league games must go ahead regardless of county team action.

I noticed young Dillon played for Armoy on Sunday at midfield after playing for county last Saturday. Fair play to him. Lets just get on with it and if the county lads don't want to play two days in the row that's also alright and their clubs have to respect that.

johnneycool

Quote from: Usain on April 04, 2017, 11:57:08 AM
Playing CR games on either Saturdays or Sundays should have no impact on club games IMO. We need to put the 99% of our playing population ahead of the elite few. Club league games must go ahead regardless of county team action.

I noticed young Dillon played for Armoy on Sunday at midfield after playing for county last Saturday. Fair play to him. Lets just get on with it and if the county lads don't want to play two days in the row that's also alright and their clubs have to respect that.

What happens if the young lad doesn't want to play two games in a row and decides to pull out of the county squad, would the county management respect that?

Usain

Quote from: johnneycool on April 04, 2017, 12:20:27 PM

What happens if the young lad doesn't want to play two games in a row and decides to pull out of the county squad, would the county management respect that?

Probably not but county team/manager need to waken up and realise that they cant hold the club game to ransom all the time.

btdtgtt

Quote from: Usain on April 04, 2017, 12:46:01 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on April 04, 2017, 12:20:27 PM

Probably not but county team/manager need to waken up and realise that they cant hold the club game to ransom all the time.

Totally agree - but the reality is they can and do.
Hopefully we buck the trend this year.

Milltown Row2

Ref'd a game on Sunday that had county players that played on the Sat, they played very well
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

paddyjohn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 04, 2017, 02:08:26 PM
Ref'd a game on Sunday that had county players that played on the Sat, they played very well

Did they start on Saturday though? and it was a pretty one sided game one Sunday to if it the one I'm thinking of.