Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btdtgtt

Quote from: theskull1 on March 31, 2017, 09:30:06 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 31, 2017, 08:03:38 AM
So continuing to do what we've been doing will continue to give us the same results, there's no blindly following here, give the initiative it's run and if tweaks here and there need applied then do it... the coaches that btdtgtt was talking to probably only interested in their own interests, which is understandable as I've managed at all levels within my club and questioned a lot of things the county did, relating mainly to fixture conjestion....

But it seems again that being negative on here is the norm.... he has said himself he's not coached but happy enough to voice opinion on it without actually having experience of it!

Between actual club players & sanctioned players we've 8 or 9 players involved in U17/18 teams. Theres been plenty of activity at county level for the past few weeks without any break and AFAICS no notification of the full schedule that could have been passed to all club coaches. We've had to cancel 2 challenge games at short notice (not enough players) because the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing....theres one improvement that can be made right there...better information sharing of all fixtures on the horizon.
Serious (from the POV of being really interested in all their players) club mentors may see the positives (if they exist in relation to this Celtic Challenge and I'm sure they do...I have no clue about it as I haven't spoken to anyone/enough closely involved .... I'm not prepared to accept the PR machine uber positive spin just yet though) but those same coaches also 'currently' have a justified right to be a bit narked at all the weekends being hoovered up with no consideration for what clubs are meant to be doing at this time of year i.e. Prepping all their players and getting them ready for the year ahead. They all need that valuable game time to make them better players

Thanks Skull.
That's precisely the sentiment that was expressed to me at the game.
So much so that some of our county executive are also now questioning the developments squads from the rationale that they've been heavily invested in terms of money and time - and aren't yielding very much if anything in return.
Credit due the whole thing is being looked at and consulted with other counties.

Maybe they just should have asked MR2 tho?

theskull1

Dev squad players sell tickets that move than cover the poor standard gear that they get. The majority of any spend is on buses to get down south (2 or 3 trips a year) and a meal on the way home. Theres no food after training. Players make their way to training. I'd say Antrims spend per juvenile team is a fraction of other counties. 
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

btdtgtt

Quote from: theskull1 on March 31, 2017, 09:57:00 AM
Dev squad players sell tickets that move than cover the poor standard gear that they get. The majority of any spend is on buses to get down south (2 or 3 trips a year) and a meal on the way home. Theres no food after training. Players make their way to training. I'd say Antrims spend per juvenile team is a fraction of other counties.

Certainly is - but so is our budget.

The Saffron vision ain't happy with the cost/benefit.

Shouldn't need to say it - but I don't for one minute question the time put in by players of coaches at either club or county levels affected!

theskull1

Quote from: btdtgtt on March 31, 2017, 10:14:44 AM
Quote from: theskull1 on March 31, 2017, 09:57:00 AM
Certainly is - but so is our budget.

The Saffron vision ain't happy with the cost/benefit.

Indeed... so lets not call it "heavy investment". Its low investment and dev squad players can smell it when alot of things look and feel half hearted. Its natural enough I'd say for players to compare their lot with the other counties around them and I do think it has an effect on commitment and performance levels.
Difficult to wrestle with that truth whenever money is tight

Milltown Row2

So based on those few comments above, if we have the money to spend we'll yield a better hurling county?

And what if that fails to make us competitive, who do we blame then?

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

theskull1

So based on those few comments above, if we have the money to spend we'll yield a better hurling county?

No. But I'd be willing to say the lack of money is symptomatic of the lack of passionate interest in enough people and if we had more of them we'd yield a better hurling county. Those who have the passion for the game are as passionate as any other counties gaels but we run out of numbers sadly.

Who's apportioning blame?  :o   We're just shootin' the breeze are we not?

btdtgtt

Quote from: theskull1 on March 31, 2017, 11:29:41 AM

No. But I'd be willing to say the lack of money is symptomatic of the lack of passionate interest in enough people and if we had more of them we'd yield a better hurling county. Those who have the passion for the game are as passionate as any other counties gaels but we run out of numbers sadly.

Who's apportioning blame?  :o   We're just shootin' the breeze are we not?

+1 agree on both.

Milltown Row2

So where/how are we going to generate this money? Skull you keep saying about getting the coaches all working to a set standard and parents buying into it and getting involved and so forth which i totaly buy in to (no pun intended) but the reality is somewhat different, I look around my club and its the same faces for generations that are doing the similar jobs for different teams over the years...

Parents can be useful but also a hinderance, complaining about their wee johnny not getting to hit the frees or playing in defence when he should be up front, wrestled with this for many years.... money doesnt win you anything within a club, a plan and a goal sets you up, getting everyone to stick to those things is the hardest part...

As for the County, its dammed if they do and dammed if they dont try it, shooting the breeze or blaming, call it what you want, most people have their own agendas withing their club, whilst not having your full complement of players for training isnt ideal its not like they are sitting twiddling their thumbs... under 12 under 14's can train together, under 16 and minors train together to get the numbers right for a session, a good coach can adopt a session based on the numbers and the lads involved will have come away with a good workout
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

theskull1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 31, 2017, 12:52:44 PM
So where/how are we going to generate this money? Skull you keep saying about getting the coaches all working to a set standard and parents buying into it and getting involved and so forth which i totaly buy in to (no pun intended) but the reality is somewhat different, I look around my club and its the same faces for generations that are doing the similar jobs for different teams over the years...

Parents can be useful but also a hinderance, complaining about their wee johnny not getting to hit the frees or playing in defence when he should be up front, wrestled with this for many years.... money doesnt win you anything within a club, a plan and a goal sets you up, getting everyone to stick to those things is the hardest part...

As for the County, its dammed if they do and dammed if they dont try it, shooting the breeze or blaming, call it what you want, most people have their own agendas withing their club, whilst not having your full complement of players for training isnt ideal its not like they are sitting twiddling their thumbs... under 12 under 14's can train together, under 16 and minors train together to get the numbers right for a session, a good coach can adopt a session based on the numbers and the lads involved will have come away with a good workout

I don't have any answers MR sorry.

I've already stated that any coach can train a small panel ... no disagreement there. Wouldn't you agree those club players deserve slack in the system to allow them to benefit from challenge games the same as county players at this time of year?

theskull1

Our 1st official minor fixture tonight cancelled due to County fixtures over the weekend.

btdtgtt

Quote from: theskull1 on March 31, 2017, 04:11:59 PM
Our 1st official minor fixture tonight cancelled due to County fixtures over the weekend.

Say no more.
Turns out those folks during the week were not making things up after all.
Who would have thought.

Milltown Row2

Re fixed or cancelled completely ?

paddyjohn

Quote from: hardstation on March 31, 2017, 06:23:31 PM
F***in Belfast clubs again no doubt.

Damn McCooeys... judging by the rain that's fallen around North Antrim today, there won't be many games played.

theskull1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 31, 2017, 05:59:11 PM

Re fixed or cancelled completely ?

::) jesus
You are familiar with the concept of fixture congestion aren't you? Is it OK with you if that matters to me?   :o
Last August we had lads who were eligible to play in 18 games in 21 days ... these are the knock on effects of batting stuff down the road. 

Milltown Row2