Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pjoe

Players removed from their clubs to play it in or train for development squads.

It's left several Club guys I spoke to last night having to cancel sessions - or merge U14/16/minor teams to get enough lads for sessions - which caused knock on issues itself.

What stuck me was that exactly the same predicament was being repeated by a range of clubs.

[/quote]

Was at the game myself.  As far as I know the maximum any club had represented was 4 and that "impacted" 2 clubs.  Most clubs had 1 or 2 players on the panel which looked like had c 30 players in total with 15 clubs represented.  So the facts don't seem to back up your anecdotal/hearsay comments.  "Several clubs needing to merge u14/u16/minor" for training when they have 1 or 2 players (max of 4 - again only impacted 2 clubs) getting exposure to a level of hurling which is a step up from the normal club game/session.  If these clubs are having difficulties with numbers for sessions its a tad disingenuous to pin the blame on the u17 development squad, thats what the facts tell me!

clootfromthe21

Quote from: Pjoe on March 30, 2017, 09:37:31 AM

It's left several Club guys I spoke to last night having to cancel sessions - or merge U14/16/minor teams to get enough lads for sessions - which caused knock on issues itself.

What stuck me was that exactly the same predicament was being repeated by a range of clubs.

Was at the game myself.  As far as I know the maximum any club had represented was 4 and that "impacted" 2 clubs.  Most clubs had 1 or 2 players on the panel which looked like had c 30 players in total with 15 clubs represented.  So the facts don't seem to back up your anecdotal/hearsay comments.  "Several clubs needing to merge u14/u16/minor" for training when they have 1 or 2 players (max of 4 - again only impacted 2 clubs) getting exposure to a level of hurling which is a step up from the normal club game/session.  If these clubs are having difficulties with numbers for sessions its a tad disingenuous to pin the blame on the u17 development squad, thats what the facts tell me!
[/quote]

Good game?

btdtgtt

Quote from: Pjoe on March 30, 2017, 09:37:31 AM

[/quote]

Oh dear.
The original point was broader than the game lasts night - it was about development squads in general.
Also I didn't provide any anecdotal or hearsay evidence - I commented on conversations I had with club men involved in underage setups - and asked if others agreed.

It wasn't a bad game at all but was one too sided to be competitive from the early stages - but a good evening out for a walk!

Megaman

but would it not be the same throughout development squads, if not then only a certain maximum number should be allowed from one club, this really shouldnt impact club training to the extent it needs cancelled.

i know in our club, age groups need to join up for training anyway due to the overlap of players.

btdtgtt

Quote from: Megaman on March 30, 2017, 10:22:29 AM
but would it not be the same throughout development squads, if not then only a certain maximum number should be allowed from one club, this really shouldnt impact club training to the extent it needs cancelled.

i know in our club, age groups need to join up for training anyway due to the overlap of players.

Yes I'd agree with the maximum number from any club - I don't know if such a rule exists.
That's why I was asking about it.
I also think they county development squads maybe could have a set number from lower achieving clubs.

theskull1

In isolation from any argument about how well and what development squads are achieving.... there is no reason why a reduced club panel can't get a decent session done.

A lot of dual players in Antrim squads, so I hope there's sensible men not setting unrealistic training expectations whenever the club competitions start.

Side note: It would be nice to know if there was any contriteness shown by those who went to Tennents Vital and abandoned their team mates sitting on the bus last August, or did someone go cap in hand to them again purely because of their undoubted talented ( I can hear the words... "acchhh theyre only kids ffs " echoing in my ears) 
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Milltown Row2

Add in stag weekends and Christenings marragies and the other heap of excuses used by players/clubs during the season never mind before the season starts!! Honestly btdgtt i think you are on the wind up!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

btdtgtt

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 30, 2017, 11:30:28 AM
Add in stag weekends and Christenings marragies and the other heap of excuses used by players/clubs during the season never mind before the season starts!! Honestly btdgtt i think you are on the wind up!

Jeeezus.
The point was made to me by club coaches that they can't get their teams properly prepared due to so many away so much of them with development squads.
There was also a question as to what is actually coming from these squads.
Not being an underage coach I asked on here what the general feeling was.
Maybe the Boyos were just making it up then.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: btdtgtt on March 30, 2017, 05:45:30 PM

Jeeezus.
The point was made to me by club coaches that they can't get their teams properly prepared due to so many away so much of them with development squads.

It's about striking a balance with progressing lads within your own club and developing them further within a county set up, which will be working at a higher level with a greater need to improve hurling all round.... these things can only bring on players which in turn can improve a club team... or am I missing something ??
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

btdtgtt

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 30, 2017, 08:18:28 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on March 30, 2017, 05:45:30 PM

Jeeezus.

It's about striking a balance with progressing lads within your own club and developing them further within a county set up, which will be working at a higher level with a greater need to improve hurling all round.... these things can only bring on players which in turn can improve a club team... or am I missing something ??

No your not missing anything.
If that's what's happening then we'd all be delighted.
But judging my the conversations I had at the game that not what everyone believes is the case.
Questions:
Are our underage/development squads improving in relative to other comparative counties?
AND
Are our club hurling leagues at underage level improving in standard?

I don't know or profess to know the answers - hence my post asking!

Milltown Row2

So you don't think club players should attend development set ups??

Because based on your chat with all the underage coaches it's causing the club scene at underage (it's still March) to fall apart?

theskull1

MR we all im sure want Antrim hurling at all levels to rise. Theres nothing wrong IMO with anyone whos questioning new initiatives and for us all to have a perspective rather than blindly think the upper echelons have every players interest in mind. There could be negatives that aren't being spotted.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: theskull1 on March 31, 2017, 07:21:18 AM
MR we all im sure want Antrim hurling at all levels to rise. Theres nothing wrong IMO with anyone whos questioning new initiatives and for us all to have a perspective rather than blindly think the upper echelons have every players interest in mind. There could be negatives that aren't being spotted.

So continuing to do what we've been doing will continue to give us the same results, there's no blindly following here, give the initiative it's run and if tweaks here and there need applied then do it... the coaches that btdtgtt was talking to probably only interested in their own interests, which is understandable as I've managed at all levels within my club and questioned a lot of things the county did, relating mainly to fixture conjestion....

But it seems again that being negative on here is the norm.... he has said himself he's not coached but happy enough to voice opinion on it without actually having experience of it!

theskull1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 31, 2017, 08:03:38 AM
So continuing to do what we've been doing will continue to give us the same results, there's no blindly following here, give the initiative it's run and if tweaks here and there need applied then do it... the coaches that btdtgtt was talking to probably only interested in their own interests, which is understandable as I've managed at all levels within my club and questioned a lot of things the county did, relating mainly to fixture conjestion....

But it seems again that being negative on here is the norm.... he has said himself he's not coached but happy enough to voice opinion on it without actually having experience of it!

Between actual club players & sanctioned players we've 8 or 9 players involved in U17/18 teams. Theres been plenty of activity at county level for the past few weeks without any break and AFAICS no notification of the full schedule that could have been passed to all club coaches. We've had to cancel 2 challenge games at short notice (not enough players) because the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing....theres one improvement that can be made right there...better information sharing of all fixtures on the horizon.
Serious (from the POV of being really interested in all their players) club mentors may see the positives (if they exist in relation to this Celtic Challenge and I'm sure they do...I have no clue about it as I haven't spoken to anyone/enough closely involved .... I'm not prepared to accept the PR machine uber positive spin just yet though) but those same coaches also 'currently' have a justified right to be a bit narked at all the weekends being hoovered up with no consideration for what clubs are meant to be doing at this time of year i.e. Prepping all their players and getting them ready for the year ahead. They all need that valuable game time to make them better players

btdtgtt

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 31, 2017, 08:03:38 AM
Quote from: theskull1 on March 31, 2017, 07:21:18 AM

So continuing to do what we've been doing will continue to give us the same results, there's no blindly following here, give the initiative it's run

The point being made is that it has had it's run for a number of years now. And I'm questioning if it has produced any results?

and if tweaks here and there need applied then do it... the coaches that btdtgtt was talking to probably only interested in their own interests,

You don't know that - after all they were in attendance at the game supporting Antrim

which is understandable as I've managed at all levels within my club and questioned a lot of things the county did, relating mainly to fixture conjestion....

But it seems again that being negative on here is the norm.... he has said himself he's not coached

I said no such thing - I said I wasn't currently coaching.

but happy enough to voice opinion on it without actually having experience of it!

Well I didn't voice an opinion - I asked a question. But that's said I might be missing the point of this board - which is to share opinions.