Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

All seeing I

Reports show clearly Antrim were hurling better against 15 men. The team going down to 14 normally ups its game. The team with 15 psycholigically sits back. The "extra man" excuse doesnt wash in hurling.
As pointed out, Wexford dumped Clare last yr. They are, in the records, one of the top 4 in 2014.
Antrim hit them for 1-07 without reply when they finally realised 15 men have to work harder.

We can debate all day long about whether or not the panel is the 28 best hurlers in the county.
What we can't debate is whether or not it is the most committed 28 hurlers in the county - because, for a fact, it is!!

Progress has been made. Ryan has set a standard of what it takes to represent our county. That alone is progress.

Antrim will beat Limerick on Sunday.

hurlingstick

All Seeing; Antrim will beat Limerick on Sunday.

Brave call!!! I hope you're right. Matty Donnelly starting would worry me.

north_antrim_hound

Don't know if they will but I think we can beat Limerick if the players empty the tank
One thing does intrigue me
Last years league we ran wexford to a point, should have beat cork but when we meet these teams later In the year the whole landscape changes
Are these other teams improving from league form and we are stagnant In terms of speeding everything up

Against Wexford in the championship it was all over In ten minutes
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: hurlingstick on February 20, 2015, 10:02:23 AM
Eddie McCloskey drops to the bench this Sunday. Matty Donnelly starts.

please tell me thats a wind up or eddies injured  :o

matty isnt a forward, how many times do we have to see him play poorly in the forwards before someone catches on.

hes a defender, end of
hurl like f**k boi!

hurlingstick

Ballycastle don't even know where to play him, he has poor mobility. Maybe he has been doing good things in training. Eddie is a very talented player. I think he can blow a bit hot and cold though. Glad Campbell and McRory are starting.

All seeing I

Quote from: hurlingstick on February 20, 2015, 11:36:03 AM
Ballycastle don't even know where to play him, he has poor mobility. Maybe he has been doing good things in training. Eddie is a very talented player. I think he can blow a bit hot and cold though. Glad Campbell and McRory are starting.
[/quote

Two good replacements. Big Matty is obviously the muscle in a speedy but small forward line. Not a bad policy when you think about it. Have seen him about the town....he's looking in good nick. Good ball winner whether at the back or the front.

Na Glinntí Glasa

unless he has trained something serious in the last year on his speed because i see buses turn quicker in belfast than him.

the lads a big strong man and when played in defence he does a good job. Hes not a forward, never was, yet for some reason he is thrown into the forward line for his club at times. Dont understand it at all.

here i hope he proves me wrong but i just cant see it from previous showings
hurl like f**k boi!

hurlingstick

I hope you're right! I've never seen him play well for club or county. He is young enough though and maybe there is development in him. If he catches a couple of high balls and sets up 3 pointers then he is worth it. My guess - he'll be taken off early in the 2nd half. But like I said, I hope I'm wrong and the big man does well.

hurlingstick

DR - any quick forward would have a field day on him when he is playing at the back. He is just too slow. Now him against Paddy Doc - that would be an interesting battle.

btdtgtt

I definitely see reason for optimism with the county team but it's still a long way before deciding if we can move up a level raising standards or just compete at our own level.

Sham Man

Quote from: hurlingstick on February 20, 2015, 10:39:59 AM
All Seeing; Antrim will beat Limerick on Sunday.

Brave call!!! I hope you're right. Matty Donnelly starting would worry me.
Brave call indeed, but as long as we compete  ;) ::) ???

Gotta be frank here, KR undoubtedly has made vast improvements and I would say he is a man who certainly knows his hurling, no dispute.  But ffs, are we going to be content with the with just competing and not winning???  >:(  Have we no ambition, aspirations or desire to be playing agin the big boys and putting them to the sword? Surely ta jaesus we have to be aiming for the top level instead of listening to the same problems, excuses year in year out. 

For me personally, I would not be playing just to make up the numbers and to be just competing at our own level.  ::) ???  We have to aim high and strive to be better and make tangible and meaningful progress.  Why bother otherwise? Progress in itself is all well and good, but we do eventually have to start winning.

I dont see progress as merely going through the motions and only desire to survive in Div 1B each year.  ::) ::)  meaningless if you ask me.  Just competing is not enough, bound to tell on the lads in the long term, despite ongoing the perrenial valiant efforts.

Eddie on the bench is unreal.  Mattie a nice enough lad, but seriously?  ;) ;)

Bit of advice needed: does anyone know if the Apple Shop in Victoria Centre is open late tonight,my iPad is playing up and only got the fcekin at Xmas,  or should I just wait until tomorrow? Hopefully, it will be working on Sunday so i keep some of you fervent and loyal Saffron boys updated.  ;) ;)  Despite best intentions, we all cant make every game, work, domestics, hangovers, car playing up or being used by the current Mrs.  ;D ;D ;)   Well, back to work, quare day for it.  ;)
Shamrocks are winners!

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: hurlingstick on February 20, 2015, 12:10:57 PM
DR - any quick forward would have a field day on him when he is playing at the back. He is just too slow. Now him against Paddy Doc - that would be an interesting battle.

;D not alot of pace there. Serious heavy hitting between them tho lol

Matty is a full back but with Cormac back it rules him out of that position for his club.

hurl like f**k boi!

hurlingstick

James  McShane has come into his own in that position too for Ballycastle. I like him.

btdtgtt

I think the biggest thing we have going for us is the venue - Limerick will do enough to win. But a narrow loss is not a bad result for antrim.

Sham Man

Well, well, well, just been told that Graffin appears to agree with me about moral victories and just competing. Graffin also says they need to start winning an put points on the board. Nigh, it wouldn't be like me to agree with Graffin.  ;) ;D
Shamrocks are winners!