Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btdtgtt

I won't comment on any aspect of payments in GAA as I've made my position so clear - and I would waste your dayside u had to read my rant!
I've a lot of time for St galls and hope hurling gets addressed the right way.

Sham Man

Quote from: btdtgtt on February 19, 2015, 04:03:21 PM
I won't comment on any aspect of payments in GAA as I've made my position so clear - and I would waste your dayside u had to read my rant!
I've a lot of time for St galls and hope hurling gets addressed the right way.
I'd imagine most clubs and not just St. galls would be willing to pay (as with most clubs ) for the right person, no big surprise in that ffs.  :D  They will not be the first or the last club to struggle gettin someone to take the reigns.  You would always fear for any club though who have to advertise for a hurling manager, I suppose the bogball would always have more appeal??  ??? :P  What chances Antrim on Sunday at the town?  Are our boys likely to cause an upset or again just put up a stiff performance?  :-\ :-\   You would have to think the boys would need to win one soon, how long can Ryan continue to talk up the performances without gettin over the line??????  Interesting times.  ;)
Shamrocks are winners!

theskull1

What chances Antrim on Sunday at the town?
Chances of what? Winning or putting in a solid performance? Both would be a success in my book. What do you reckon yourself?

You would have to think the boys would need to win one soon?
"Would need to?"......Or else what? Of course we want them to win, but what will happen to if we don't that hasnt happened before? Will it be a disaster?

How long can Ryan continue to talk up the performances without gettin over the line?
Youre implying that winning against the top teams is the be all and end all. Is it really? Theres no other way to make tangible progress unless you beat a top team? Do you believe that?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Sham Man

Quote from: theskull1 on February 19, 2015, 08:48:32 PM
Chances of what? Winning or putting in a solid performance? Both would be a success in my book. What do you reckon yourself?
I think they have a chance ok, especially playing in the town. Jaesus relax man I was only putting it out there for an opinion ffs. ???

You would haveo think the boys would need to win one soon?
"Would need to?"......Or else what? Of course we want them to win, but what will happen to if we don't that hasnt happened before? Will it be a disaster? ;

Surely a win is what we are aspiring to ffs, why bother otherwise??

A win wud be good no doubt, I think we are at a stage where we need more than a solid performance. I assume you dont agree?
"Would need to?"......Or else what? Of course we want them to win, but what will happen to if we don't that hasnt happened before? Will it be a disaster?

It would be a disaster if we were at the relegation stages and take the drop.  Laudable performances are not enough in my book. If we continue to make the same mistakes, can we really were makin progress??  ;)

How long can Ryan continue to talk up the performances without gettin over the line?
Youre implying that winning against the top teams is the be all and end all. Is it really? Theres no other way to make tangible progress unless you beat a top team? Do you believe that?

How long can Ryan continue to talk up the performances without gettin over

the line?
[/b]Youre implying that winning against the top teams is the be all and end all. Is it really? Theres no other way to make tangible progress unless you beat a top team? Do you believe that?
Aye competing against and winning against top teams will be a real benchmark. Are you saying that Wexford, Offally and Loais are top teams and we shud not be baten them??? Come on man, how long are we going to say its a work in progress and its a young team in transition?  The clock has to be ticking dont you agree?  ??? ;)  Top teams in my reckonin are Clare, Tipp, Kilkenny, Cork, Waterford, Galway. If we are really serious about progress we should be baten the rest. Only my opinion I may add.  ;)
Shamrocks are winners!

theskull1

Quote from: Sham Man on February 19, 2015, 10:21:12 PM
Aye competing against and winning against top teams will be a real benchmark. Are you saying that Wexford, Offally and Loais are top teams and we shud not be baten them??? Come on man, how long are we going to say its a work in progress and its a young team in transition?  The clock has to be ticking dont you agree?  ??? ;)  Top teams in my reckonin are Clare, Tipp, Kilkenny, Cork, Waterford, Galway. If we are really serious about progress we should be baten the rest. Only my opinion I may add.  ;)

I'm saying we have no right to beat any of those teams. It would be great to beat them, but I and I don't think Kevin Ryan hangs his hat on HAVING to beat them. I think he's doing a great job managing the players he has at his disposal. He has developed a strong work ethic in the bunch and those standards will stand us in good stead of we can maintain it. I think Antrim do rightly considering the apathy that exists in the county at all levels. Those that are putting in the effort need our support rather than a performance review.

bannside

Agree 100 with Skull. Some great work going on in hurling which needs to be both applauded and supported.

Milltown Row2

Fair weather 'supporters' (term used loosely :( ) trying to fix the ills of Antrim hurling from behind the keyboard. As Skull has said, if more committed people rolled their sleeves up and put the effort in we'd be in better place.... As for Wexford they have a great team coming through.... Performing in their pitch was a positive sign...
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

theskull1

If Antrim had the same fevered interest that there is say in the likes of Wexford, the reason to play and compete at the top level would be greater. We do rightly and those who give a toss should be rightly proud of the efforts of men prepared to go about things in the right way considering the number of take it or leave its about the place.

imtommygunn

I would agree here too. We can no suddenly expect to compete with the top teams in Ireland overnight.

The level we are at is the level Kevin Ryan has playing us at. There are a lot of teams at this level making big progress so for Kevin Ryan to have us competing at this level is a great achievement. Last year we got beat in the championship, allbeit well, by a very good wexford side who ended up beating the AI champions. We beat a very strong Laois team along the way and there were a lot of good results and performances along the way.

I find it the same in the hurling and the football in this county. There seem to be a lot of supporters who think we have a right to beat teams who are perhaps perceived as weaker. They think we should be competing with big boys. Every year in division 4 in the football we talk the same too.

We are not in the top tier in either code and need to take small incremental steps. I think Ryan is doing that. As for the football well most on here possibly don't care but we'll see soon enough if we're going in the right direction here too.

Sham Man

Statler & Waldorf at their irritating best ffs.   ;)   Nobody else entitled to an opinion?

We are results driven not performances. Have the lads improved in recent times under KR, of course they have. ;D  Would I like to see them win this Sunday (I'll be there) sure I would :D.  Would like them to Win 1B and move, sure I would. :D  Would I like them to be competing agin Clare, Cork, Tipp, Kilkenny on a regular basis, of course I would. ;D

So whats the issue ffs? Chillax. ;) ::) ???
Shamrocks are winners!

Na Glinntí Glasa

i think we are brave bit off competing against Cork, Clare, Tipp, KK etc. i agree with Skull on this. we have no divine right to be beating the likes of Laois or Westmeath. They see us a team no doubt that they are better than.

our performance against wexford was good, much better in fact. As KR pointed out he thought that we would roll over and lose by 11 but they didnt. they matched them right to the end and were unlucky not to draw the game. The fact that we could physically match them is bonus.

Limerick this weekend will be another tester to see if Wexford was a fluke. In years gone by we played well in one game, got unlucky and then next game back to the same old of being humped.

if we can continue to match teams physically and catch up on them in terms of skill i will be more than happy.

Dublin didnt become a Div 1 team over night, it took them quite a while of hard work - and plenty of money!! lol
hurl like f**k boi!

johnneycool

Quote from: Sham Man on February 20, 2015, 08:42:14 AM
Statler & Waldorf at their irritating best ffs.   ;)   Nobody else entitled to an opinion?

We are results driven not performances. Have the lads improved in recent times under KR, of course they have. ;D  Would I like to see them win this Sunday (I'll be there) sure I would :DWould like them to Win 1B and move, sure I would. :D  Would I like them to be competing agin Clare, Cork, Tipp, Kilkenny on a regular basis, of course I would. ;D

Limerick run Kilkenny as close as anyone in August and still didn't manage to get out of Div1B earlier on in the year, have infinitely more resources, financially, playing numbers wise, recent underage success and whatever and you think Antrim have a chance of winning 1B?

You got to be realistic about what Kevin Ryan and Antrim can achieve short term and even long term.

IMO Antrim are like Laois, can throw a few upsets in along the way, but not enough to sustain a real push into the top echelons of intercounty hurling.

The resources, infrastructure, coaching, playing numbers isn't there for anything else.

Club hurling however is a much more even playing field as you shams should know!

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Sham Man on February 20, 2015, 08:42:14 AM

We are results driven not performances. Have the lads improved in recent times under KR, of course they have. ;D  Would I like to see them win this Sunday (I'll be there) sure I would :D.  Would like them to Win 1B and move, sure I would. :D  Would I like them to be competing agin Clare, Cork, Tipp, Kilkenny on a regular basis, of course I would. ;D

I am a bit confused here. You say that competing against wexford is not good enough but competing with Clare is
Didn't wexford put the Clare( all Ireland champions at the time ) out of the all Ireland last year after a replay. I think it's important to mention replay as that dismisses any ambush theories
I think you need to check your grading system sham man
To go down to wexford park and nearly come away with a win was a great performance
We where competing with before they went a man down to which was great
Limerick will be more of a challenge as they have a very strong panel and beat tipp in Munster and ran kilkenny very close in the semi fjnal
A single digit defeat to me can be considered real progress
I like the kevin Ryan set up. When you read player interviews now they don't talk about how good the opposition was, it's more about what they have to improve on,
From a supporter perspective imm going down as optimistic as ever
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Na Glinntí Glasa

im hopeful we can get a result on Sunday and i will be there with a bit more hope after last weekends performance.
hurl like f**k boi!

hurlingstick

Eddie McCloskey drops to the bench this Sunday. Matty Donnelly starts.