Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glentaisie

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 03, 2021, 10:17:24 PM
Seem to be a lot of new users joined in the last few days  ;)

Lads, joining to cause trouble or feuding will result in an early bath, despite the high entertainment value!

By Christ, this place has got woke.  If what I've read constitutes trouble making or feuding,  maybe go back a few years and read the craic.

Hmmmmm I suppose that's me for an early bath   ;D

saffron123

NA Gael

Loughgiel have already "won" the cup and enjoyed all the celebrations/photos etc. associated with doing so.

If you ask any Ballycastle player or mentor would it give them any satisfaction being "awarded" the cup - I think not.

Loughgiel will be forever tainted with the fact they won the cup by using an ineligible player and if Ballycastle's objection upholds - Ballycastle will be forever tainted as being the team that won a trophy off the pitch.

The sensible option to resolve the matter would be to have a replay.

johnnycool

Quote from: NA Gael on November 04, 2021, 10:49:12 AM

Loughgiel have already "won" the cup and enjoyed all the celebrations/photos etc. associated with doing so.

If you ask any Ballycastle player or mentor would it give them any satisfaction being "awarded" the cup - I think not.

Loughgiel will be forever tainted with the fact they won the cup by using an ineligible player and if Ballycastle's objection upholds - Ballycastle will be forever tainted as being the team that won a trophy off the pitch.

And suspend the club secretary and team manager..

There needs to be a disincentive to prevent others from "trying it on".

Saffronaldo

Quote from: johnnycool on November 04, 2021, 11:06:25 AM

I agree. It needs to be such a deterrent that it's not seen as worth the risk at all, and then people will take a bit more care over ensuring compliance with the rules.

However pigs will fly before the GAA sort out all the rules/discipline issues they have...

Lord Antrim

NA Gael  I concur the LG won the game on Saturday but the end result was impacted by the sub ,as the ineligible player was involved in 2 of their 3 goals - in the ruck for one and scoring another.
They will as you say be forever tainted and that is why a replay is not the solution .All this would do is to encourage cheating with the hope that you don't get caught and if you do well then at least you will be offered as 2nd bite at the cherry .
Maybe it is a time for a look inwards by some of their club members at their mentors and committee but that is up to them .
No good would come from a replay  as all it could do is create more issues.

As for BC I agree that the they may not want to win the trophy off the pitch but it is not their fault that LG can't abide by county , province and national rules.

IMO  making the competition null and void for 2021 might be the solution but not sure if that is an option.

It does not look good on the county either way that our Grade A U20 championship has turned in to a farce.
Roll on 2022 championship season

NA Gael

Quote from: johnnycool on November 04, 2021, 11:06:25 AM

Of course Johnny, 100 %.

The GAA rules have less severe punishment of using an ineligible "underage" player as to an "overage" player.

For Breach of lower Age Limit:
(i)Team Penalty:
On a Proven Objection – Award of Game to Opposing Team.
On an Inquiry by the Committee-in-Charge – Forfeiture of
Game without Award to the Opposing Team.
(ii) Player: For breach in any Grade – 2 weeks Suspension.
(iii) Person(s)-in-Charge of the Team in which the
breach is committed – 8 weeks Suspension.

In relation to the allegation of the U11 playing at U15 level :

Under 15: A Player shall have celebrated his 11th. birthday
prior to January 1st. and his 15th. birthday on or after January
1st. of the Championship Year.

(i.e - the player's last year of U11 - so no issues with eligibility if the player was 11 before 1st January 2021).

Like myself, I'm sure quite a few of us are a bit better versed with the rules!

johnnycool

Quote from: NA Gael on November 04, 2021, 11:21:57 AM

(i.e - the player's last year of U11 - so no issues with eligibility if the player was 11 before 1st January 2021).

If a player was 11 before the 1st of January 2021 then they're not an U11 in 2021. They are fine to play U15 but not U11.

Milltown Row2

I can talk on this thread as the hurling is completed, nobody wants to win the game in the boardroom, I personally think that the rule is wrong, but I'm going back to the time when I played and it didn't do me any wrong, though I fully understand why its in place, when kids are now playing multiple sports with school and outside of the GAA.

This tit for tat stuff on here though won't make anything different to be fair. The ref will have supplied the match report to the county, should a complaint come in it should be looked and and whatever measures are in place then the proper procedures should/could be brought in. To go back to my first point, the game should not be won in the boardroom, should be on the pitch. If that is a replay then that would be the best option in my view.

I remember a intermediate final against Glenarm back in the day, we were at Casement warming up ready for the game, but we'd a notion that Glenarm were not showing up, I couldn't tell you why, we were only interested in playing the game. ref threw the ball in and then blew his whistle, technically we won the game, no celebrations, we just wanted to play. the game was played months later and we won by a point in the end. That win will stay with us forever, had we won it in the boardroom, then it would have meant nothing to me.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NA Gael

Quote from: johnnycool on November 04, 2021, 12:13:31 PM
Quote from: NA Gael on November 04, 2021, 11:21:57 AM

If a player was 11 before the 1st of January 2021 then they're not an U11 in 2021. They are fine to play U15 but not U11.

Well noted Johnny, I happened to come across the rule and thought I'd share - I obviously didn't study it too well!

I've since heard the County are investigating the U20B final now.

How far back can they check?

As some people have pointed out, breaches could have been made during the earlier stages of this competition - which leads me to ask - what controls and checks are in place by the administrators of the competitions to check team sheets for potential breaches of rule? 

BealnaBlath

Quote from: Lord Antrim on November 04, 2021, 11:14:02 AM

NA Gael  I concur the LG won the game on Saturday but the end result was impacted by the sub ,as the ineligible player was involved in 2 of their 3 goals - in the ruck for one and scoring another.
They will as you say be forever tainted and that is why a replay is not the solution .All this would do is to encourage cheating with the hope that you don't get caught and if you do well then at least you will be offered as 2nd bite at the cherry .
Maybe it is a time for a look inwards by some of their club members at their mentors and committee but that is up to them .
No good would come from a replay  as all it could do is create more issues.

As for BC I agree that the they may not want to win the trophy off the pitch but it is not their fault that LG can't abide by county , province and national rules.

IMO  making the competition null and void for 2021 might be the solution but not sure if that is an option.

It does not look good on the county either way that our Grade A U20 championship has turned in to a farce.
Roll on 2022 championship season

Nail on the head. Not the first time this has happened over the years and I know for a fact that clubs are aware of this rule but chance it anyway. Completely wrong and game should be replayed or competition null and void.

Lord Antrim

Folks - was at schools Mageean game this afternoon and was speaking to BC U15 manager (Ronan Donnelly) .
He confirmed categorically that there was no underage or ineligible player playing for BC this year.
He thinks everyone is referring to his son Matthew so I guess he knows when he was born so I guess that answers that question.
If anyone needs clarification he  confirms he is more than happy to discuss .

On a different matter Bicky McGarry (CPC and Lgeil) confirmed today that is in a different class - some player and one that will be soon involved in Antrim seniors I would think.

paddyjohn

Quote from: Lord Antrim on November 04, 2021, 05:22:53 PM
Folks - was at schools Mageean game this afternoon and was speaking to BC U15 manager (Ronan Donnelly) .
He confirmed categorically that there was no underage or ineligible player playing for BC this year.
He thinks everyone is referring to his son Matthew so I guess he knows when he was born so I guess that answers that question.

On a different matter Bicky McGarry (CPC and Lgeil) confirmed today that is in a different class - some player and one that will be soon involved in Antrim seniors I would think.

Is he one of the pound McGarrys?

Lord Antrim

Quote from: paddyjohn on November 04, 2021, 08:43:03 PM

Youngest of Enda's boys 👍
Classy hurler and on all accounts a good lad too

paddyjohn

Quote from: Lord Antrim on November 04, 2021, 09:56:58 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on November 04, 2021, 08:43:03 PM

Youngest of Enda's boys 👍
Classy hurler and on all accounts a good lad too

A fine family, all class hurlers and even better people.