Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paddyjohn

It's for the betterment of Antrim GAA & will help Belfast GAA..

Na Glinntí Glasa

it opens the door for other clubs to ask as well who have hosted games. Cushendall is a good alternative for the matches, as are the others who have hosted games over the past few years.Do they not get offered it?

Having stood in ballycastle a fair few times im sure they will be peeved that this was offered for them as well.

As others have said, get the strimmer out first
hurl like f**k boi!

NAG1

Quote from: paddyjohn on April 10, 2017, 12:21:01 PM
It's for the betterment of Antrim GAA & will help Belfast GAA.. St Johns

Fixed that for you

paddyjohn

Quote from: NAG1 on April 10, 2017, 02:33:31 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on April 10, 2017, 12:21:01 PM
It's for the betterment of Antrim GAA & will help Belfast GAA.. St Johns

Fixed that for you

Top man!

Milltown Row2

Anyone who thinks having a stand will improve your club team is a fool
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 10, 2017, 04:25:59 PM

A drop of fizz in their beer wouldn't go amiss either!

NAG1

I was not referring to the team

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on April 13, 2017, 09:01:08 AM

Just the ground then?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 13, 2017, 09:25:49 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on April 13, 2017, 09:01:08 AM

Just the ground then?

Yeah and the future of the club, to me it sends out the wrong signal. Plenty of clubs are working away hard selling tickets, running events and grafting to put on the ground what ever it is they need.

I see no evidence of this in this case, seems to be stand with your hand out long enough and someone will eventually sort it for you.

Na Glinntí Glasa

ahoghill and ballycastle did it for a few years with no money offered and plenty of vols out on wet cold days to make sure the county matches went ahead.

As i said before, they might be a bit pissed off that nothing was offered to them. Cushendall held 2 games, very well i might add, and have a good terrace to watch the match, im sure they would want a nice covered stand for the county games held there.
hurl like f**k boi!

Milltown Row2

Have you been the the Johnnies ground since the stand has been gone? They have to their credit, have great changing room facilites an indoor training center underneath the clubhouse and a decent pitch,

Like every other club the Johnnies have been doing fundraisers for years, their major handicap is having so many teams, ladies teams hurling and football to support that's a lot harder to support than lets say, Cushendall or Cargin who have one code to cater for... the money raised is going three ways instead of one

If they get a stand (thats a big if) then so be it, I (being a Naomh Gall man) wouldnt begrudge them it as all the clubs, our's included need to update our facilites, its wont make us a better team or encourage more kids to play, but will certainly bring the GAA into the 21 centuary

NAG1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 13, 2017, 09:55:35 AM
Have you been the the Johnnies ground since the stand has been gone? They have to their credit, have great changing room facilites an indoor training center underneath the clubhouse and a decent pitch,

Like every other club the Johnnies have been doing fundraisers for years, their major handicap is having so many teams, ladies teams hurling and football to support that's a lot harder to support than lets say, Cushendall or Cargin who have one code to cater for... the money raised is going three ways instead of one

If they get a stand (thats a big if) then so be it, I (being a Naomh Gall man) wouldnt begrudge them it as all the clubs, our's included need to update our facilites, its wont make us a better team or encourage more kids to play, but will certainly bring the GAA into the 21 centuary

Yeah I have been up to see the 'new' facilities.

I would say they are not on their own in running so many teams, but to me that would actually increase the number of people/ families that they would have in the club? No?

I am not arguing that it is not needed, but totally smacks of opportunism to me. This if you look back is a historical element linking back to the whole redevelopment of Casement.

Usain

Quote from: NAG1 on April 13, 2017, 10:08:12 AM

I would say they are not on their own in running so many teams, but to me that would actually increase the number of people/ families that they would have in the club? No?

I am not arguing that it is not needed, but totally smacks of opportunism to me. This if you look back is a historical element linking back to the whole redevelopment of Casement.

It is only human nature for someone to help out his own when one has been given such powers...........

Milltown Row2

You have the same core element within a club that do all the work, all clubs have it, be it coaching managers, groundsmen.

Parents of kids is a very small percentage of generating income in my opinion unless they get involved with helping out, in Belfast people drop their kids off and pick them up at the end of a session/match, very rarely do they stay, in most cases the kids are picked up by another parent who'll be a clubman of sorts whose own kid is a player...

The community aspect is not the same as it would be in Cushendall, or other clubs which have a very small town or village set up, the hurling field is part of their community hub, most people have hurled for that club or have had some input into the running of it so they have bought into it a long time ago and feel the need to improve on it and that means funding, be it lotto, or Gala nights and other fundraisers...

Based on what ive seen at my own club having so many teams doesnt translate into making more money, just draining the club even further of the money its got....

People have very short memories of the facilities that were on show in their own clubs recent pasts, Belfast clubs for most parts have let that go, you cant start knocking them now if they make inroads into improving their clubs now!!

north aontroim gael

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 13, 2017, 11:06:22 AM

You have the same core element within a club that do all the work, all clubs have it, be it coaching managers, groundsmen.

Parents of kids is a very small percentage of generating income in my opinion unless they get involved with helping out, in Belfast people drop their kids off and pick them up at the end of a session/match, very rarely do they stay, in most cases the kids are picked up by another parent who'll be a clubman of sorts whose own kid is a player...

The community aspect is not the same as it would be in Cushendall, or other clubs which have a very small town or village set up, the hurling field is part of their community hub, most people have hurled for that club or have had some input into the running of it so they have bought into it a long time ago and feel the need to improve on it and that means funding, be it lotto, or Gala nights and other fundraisers...

Based on what ive seen at my own club having so many teams doesnt translate into making more money, just draining the club even further of the money its got....

People have very short memories of the facilities that were on show in their own clubs recent pasts, Belfast clubs for most parts have let that go, you cant start knocking them now if they make inroads into improving their clubs now!!

No one is knocking anyone for trying to improve their club.  Hard work via fundraising activities for improvement will be well supported. If St Johns men arrive at the doors in Cushendall, Loughgiel, Dunloy etc they will be well received, of that I have no doubt.  What is grating people here is opportunism of trying to leverage funds that other clubs should be just as entitled to. Why would/should St Johns be seen as the natural location for a new stand? I would argue that there are half a dozen clubs in Antrim that have better supporting infrastructure and the investment in a stand would make more sense at these clubs.

Transparency in the decision making process is essentially what it all boils down to.