Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Last Man on March 16, 2017, 06:20:50 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on March 16, 2017, 06:08:41 PM
Quote from: Last Man on March 16, 2017, 05:33:38 PM
at the moment we have the numbers and the guys looking after the reserves are keen to get them games. We are happy to go where-ever to get them.

Sure you could go to Down aswell then.
Aye, and whats your point?

He is a WUM. Anyways last man make sure you're playing the southy leagues  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Last Man

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 16, 2017, 06:30:04 PM
at the moment we have the numbers and the guys looking after the reserves are keen to get them games. We are happy to go where-ever to get them.

Aye wouldnt that make your life easy MR.lol. i'll just let the young guns torment you.

paddyjohn

Go for the hat trick lol.. St Endas are a very good club and it's great to see them competing. Used to love the St Endas social club after games, many a night I spent in it.

paddyjohn

Maybe a WUM but at least I'm not an arrogant tw@t like yourself Dazza boy.

Last Man

Aye wouldnt that make your life easy MR.lol. i'll just let the young guns torment you.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Last Man on March 16, 2017, 09:23:06 PM

Good stuff, great wee hurlers on show on Sunday, with plenty to come on board.. need to progress and give those lads a platform to maintain the effort you and the rest have put in!

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Last Man

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 17, 2017, 12:00:31 AM
Quote from: Last Man on March 16, 2017, 09:23:06 PM

Good stuff, great wee hurlers on show on Sunday, with plenty to come on board.. need to progress and give those lads a platform to maintain the effort you and the rest have put in!
With the glass ceiling getting thicker every year FS ::)

Hand up

I see the minors had a big win over Laois on Saturday, any reports on their performance?

theskull1

And then several of them played Down and Derry in the U17 Celtic Challenge games the next day....and not a sniff of player welfare concerns.

With alot of these players already dual for their club .... I hope the U17 & U18 county mentors can work better to ensure they don't flog talented players ... we all want them to be fit come summer time
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Milltown Row2

Quote from: theskull1 on March 21, 2017, 09:04:45 AM
And then several of them played Down and Derry in the U17 Celtic Challenge games the next day....and not a sniff of player welfare concerns.

With alot of these players already dual for their club .... I hope the U17 & U18 county mentors can work better to ensure they don't flog talented players ... we all want them to be fit come summer time

We are talking about 17/18 year olds......They'll be grand

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 21, 2017, 09:09:11 AM

Question, Do Antrim have any U16's on their U17 Celtic Challenge team?

I know Down have and as its meant to be a development team I don't think its right even if some of the U16's are better hurlers than some of the U17's, but as its for "development" I don't think that's the point of the exercise.

theskull1

Don't believe so JC
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Last Man

Quote from: johnneycool on March 21, 2017, 09:52:53 AM

I know Down have and as its meant to be a development team I don't think its right even if some of the U16's are better hurlers than some of the U17's, but as its for "development" I don't think that's the point of the exercise.
Totally correct JC but its hard to get U17s out and clubs arent that bothered about encouragement of their players leaving the mentors in a difficult position. Good U16s looking ahead to minor are generally more willing hence you see them playing up. Not an easy job taking this age group.

clootfromthe21

Quote from: Hand up on March 21, 2017, 08:33:26 AM
I see the minors had a big win over Laois on Saturday, any reports on their performance?

No reports but the scorers (per twitter) were Ed McQuillan 3-0, Seann Elliott 0-6, David Kilgore 1-1 and Anton McGrath, Micheal McGreevey and Conor McHugh 0-1 each.

We were beaten by Dublin 2-17 to 0-9 the previous week. Read somewhere that was the Dublin "B" team but whether Dublin streams minors or mixes them up, I'm not sure, as Laois beat Dublin the week before that by 2-13 to 1-13.

Minors now play Westmeath in Leinster Shield Semi Final.

johnneycool

Quote from: Last Man on March 21, 2017, 10:20:29 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on March 21, 2017, 09:52:53 AM

Totally correct JC but its hard to get U17s out and clubs arent that bothered about encouragement of their players leaving the mentors in a difficult position. Good U16s looking ahead to minor are generally more willing hence you see them playing up. Not an easy job taking this age group.

In fairness to the lads involved with the Down U17 development squads they wouldn't have nearly the same player pool to pick from, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't at least try to fill it with 17 year olds willing to give up the time and effort required and actually develop them in the truer sense to become better hurlers even if they're not going to be proper intercounty hurlers, but will go back to the clubs in theory better hurlers for their experiences..
Plus its never too late for someone to break through at 17 like one of our lads did the last time Down won the Ulster minors. One lad had never played for any county team at any level but his improvements from 16 to 18 was unreal and he got a late call up to the county minors and a starting berth and is now a regular starter for Down seniors.