Russia invades Ukraine Feb 2022

Started by Main Street, February 12, 2022, 09:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: burdizzo on February 28, 2022, 12:19:30 PM
Technically? I suppose he uses nationalism as a justification, to an extent, but I would have thought Alexy Navalny - the lad they tried to poison and then threw in jail - was far more of a Russian nationalist? But we never hear about him since Amnesty decided he wasn't kosher.
Putin uses nationalism to an extent?  quite an understatement there considering recent events :)
Navaly is regarded as a prisoner of conscience with AI. Why do you think Navalny was branded an enemy of the people/state, tortured and jailed in a show trial?

burdizzo

I thought they dumped him because he didn't love Islamic immigration?

seafoid

https://www.ft.com/content/378eced2-d3a6-49cf-b07e-df0b388ee54b

"Putin's obsessed about Ukraine, and that has been visible for years," said the central European security official. "But if you look at [the demands Putin made of the west before invading], it's not just Ukraine. The second was effectively about rendering central and eastern Europe a buffer again."

johnnycool

i haven't commented much on this as it's more complex than a basic black, white, goodie and baddie type scenario and there have been Neo Nazi elements of the Ukranian Army that have attacked Ethnic Russians in Ukraine such as the Azov Regiment, well known for being Neo Nazi's...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azov_Battalion

In saying that Putin is a cheek off the same arse, whose every bit as right wing as those he professes to be trying to rid Ukraine from, his confidant and advisor Aleksandr Dugin is a well known for his support for fascism;

https://medium.com/intelligence-challenged/putins-rasputin-the-dangerous-mind-of-aleksandr-dugin-d02290ba6045

In the meantime, the ordinary Joe Public will pay for their lives due to these deranged lunatics in positions of power.

Average Score

Liz Truss should stick to talking about cheese.

johnnycool

Putins sticking points;

– recognition of Russian sovereignty over Crimea
– demilitarization and denazification of the Ukrainian state
– ensuring its neutral status

Hard to see the Ukrainians going for that.

HiMucker

Quote from: johnnycool on February 28, 2022, 03:57:59 PM
Putins sticking points;

Crimea is never going back in to Ukrainian hands. Never ever going to happen. The people there overwhelmingly want Russian rule anyway. I think that is the easiest one on the list for them to concede. They should build that one up though as a massive concession.

seafoid

Quote from: HiMucker on February 28, 2022, 04:21:19 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on February 28, 2022, 03:57:59 PM
Putins sticking points;

Crimea is never going back in to Ukrainian hands. Never ever going to happen. The people there overwhelmingly want Russian rule anyway. I think that is the easiest one on the list for them to concede. They should build that one up though as a massive concession.
Crimea should be in return for land of equivalent value on the Black Sea coast of Russia

seafoid

https://www.ft.com/content/434d2077-5c29-4178-8a45-e543b3687d77

"Their attacking approach didn't play to Russian tactics in the beginning [of the war] so the obvious recourse is fall back to a strategy that does work," said Henry Boyd, a military expert at the International institute for Strategic Studies. "Kharkiv is already taking military barrages." Analysts and officials have been warning that Russia's setbacks, while spurring Ukrainian resistance, increased the chance of heavy bombardment and possibly assaults using thermobaric weapons, which use oxygen from the surrounding air to generate an intense, high-temperature explosion. Social media posts on Monday also appeared to show TOS-1 heavy flame throwers positioned outside the besieged southern city of Mariupol.

balladmaker

We've all heard the story ref. never cornering a rat ... in the same way, the west needs to be careful to allow Putin a way out, otherwise we might all face the fallout from what he could do next, and that fallout could be nuclear in nature.  We've heard it all before, 'Putin won't do this, he would never do that' ... up until now, he was went on and done most of those things said he would never do ... a full on invasion of Ukraine, taking Crimea as his own ... he knows no boundaries, and it is best that he is not cornered whatever way this plays out. 

Putin doesn't seem to have the Russian public with him on this crusade, and maybe not the full might of the military either.

I wonder if anyone in the upper echelons of Russian military have the balls to take Putin down.  How does Putin prevent a military coup in Russia should he order a nuclear strike?

imtommygunn

I would feel the same about cornering and all the countries giving arms to Ukraine is not going to help but what do you do. The man is insane. I almost wonder would someone from within stop him too. We can only hope :(

So truss was the one who made him play the nuclear card. Is there no end to the damage tories do >:(

Wildweasel74

Why he need a buffer zone anyway, who in his imaginary head going to attack Russia. Its not as if the old german 🇩🇪 blitzkrieg war machine up and running. And I safety sau there more neo nazis in Russia than Ukraine judging by their football supporters.

drillsergeant

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 28, 2022, 09:43:29 PM
I would feel the same about cornering and all the countries giving arms to Ukraine is not going to help but what do you do. The man is insane. I almost wonder would someone from within stop him too. We can only hope :(

So truss was the one who made him play the nuclear card. Is there no end to the damage tories do >:(

I am surprised USA hasn't given Ukraine a Iron Dome missile system or THAAD missile defence system which Israel and South Korea have. Also have the Russian not learnt from the invasion of Afghanistan in the 80's??

johnnycool

seafoid

Ukraine will be reconstructed real nice when all of this is over. There will be loads of work for plasterers.