Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Bit of a smash and grab in Newbridge today although we probably deserved it for our workrate and perseverance alone.. We scored 2-1 in the 70th minute. While Mooney took his goal well he wasn't on the ball much at all.
The Aristocrat Years

Shamrocks Gaelp

Hard fought victory with a lot of luck involved. Thought the combination of laverty and PD was fantastic and was very pleased with Madine in the middle of the field and O'Hagan and Dee Turley (who was very composed at carrying the ball out of defence). Very surprised that Ryan johnston was substituted at half time however if I can remember he got a knock. Mooney blitzed his marker and ran through the heart of defence however after that he only made 2 touches on the ball as he moved into Half back. Any thoughts on other preformances? Did Malachy magee drop from the panel? Interested to see as he wasn't there whilst baz o'hagan niall Donnelly and o'hanlon all came in.

Mourne Rover

Fortune definitely smiled on us in the closing stages but you also make your own luck and we finished the game with huge belief and no little skill.

While Kildare will obviously feel they should never have lost a match which they led by three points in the final minute, after both missing a penalty and hitting the underside of the crossbar, we had generally dominated possession and conceded a very poor defensive goal through a breakaway. Kildare effectively invited us to come at them late on and we had the flair players who were able to take advantage.

We had some reasonable performances at the back, although Cunningham seemed to panic when he pulled down a Kildare forward who was unlikely to score and duly picked up a black card. Kane's subsequent save was top drawer and kept us in the contest.

Both O'Hagan and Howard saw their opponents pick off a few scores, but O'Hagan in particular showed a fair amount of quality with a brilliant full length block and a classy point at the other end. Garvey will have better days, and was caught out for their goal, but both Dee Turley and McKernan were impressive and were always ready to push up. Ryan Johnston was reasonable and may have picked up a knock when he was withdrawn at half time, while McArdle covered a huge amount of ground.

Madine was excellent at midfield, and is capable of nailing a spot there, but Fitzpatrick struggled after a decent start, Maginn was in and out of the game and took a black card for the team towards the end, while Devlin had his best ever display for Down from both frees and play and his last point was something special.

Jerome Johnston put himself about without really getting going, but O'Hare was back to his best and fully deserved his goal. Laverty may not have scored but was everywhere and his refusal to accept defeat got us over the line.

Mooney can look anonymous and then burst into action which he certainly did with his brilliantly taken goal. The rest of the subs actually did not make much impact until McConville was in the right place when the ball came back from the crossbar.

With the Warrenpoint players due to return, and hopefully a couple of other familiar faces also coming back, we have the makings of a strong squad and, with four of our remaining six games in Newry, promotion is certainly not out of the question.

It is early days yet, but McCorry's selections and tactics served us well today and he is entitled to be very satisfied with his first league outing.

Dubh driocht

Madine was my mom although all 20 men and the management deserve credit for what was an amazing finish. Our new captain Conor doesn't do second best and his leadership and desire lifted all those around him.It's clear that McCorry will turn to those he trusts and none of them let him down. Good game despite Kildare's ultra defensive approach. I didn't see it coming but absolutely delighted to see the hunger. Need to give Roscommon respect; they won the FBD league and will fancy their chances next Saturday.

Line Ball

Picking up points on the road is always a bonus and I must say that I travelled in hope rather than expectation.  A game is never over to the final whistle and that was never more evident today and there was a sense of bewilderment at the final whistle, what a way to win a game.  Ryan Johnston must have been hurt as he was doing rightly and it was great to see Mooney in the red and black again, I think we have to be patient with him.  The Kilcoo factor worked today with Paul Devlin being as good in a Down jersey as I have seen him, Jerome worked hard throughout, Stevie Kane had an inspired introduction to county football and Laverty lead like a captain should.  Many other decent performances in Madine, O'Hagan, Mc Ardle and Turley. Good days ahead and nice to be upbeat for a change.

5 Sams

O'Hagan really is a top class defender. Himself and the fullback line were up against a very good, and very big, Kildare full forward line and did themselves justice. Some of the scores from the Kildare lads esp in the 1st half were outstanding but our lads stuck to the task. O'Hagan's block in the 2nd half was brilliant. Well done to them all. But don't forget what Winston Wolfe said in Pulp Fiction. ;)
The Aristocrat Years

Shamrocks Gaelp

Annoyed at the way people complain about Darren O'Hagan. Many 'fans' complained today about how he never got out in front of big podge fogarty. Darren O'Hagan never gets out infront of his man but it's he doesn't have to. He shadows his man every time perfectly and knows exactly when to dip the hand in and out and stands the man up and keep his mans back away from the posts whilst also carrying the ball out of the back smartly. He also covers back and is seldom turned easily. It also takes a lot of balls to dive full strength for the good of the team. Last year he kept Jamie Clarke completely subduded in armaghs back yard. In my opinion he is the best defender in down , however podge fogarty is probably kildares quickest and best players.

NP 76

Great win today where I think we mixed the good with some bad also. Defence stood very firm against a good forward line who hit some great long range scores. Midfield competed well and Madine was still running at the end. I think we need to get help up to the forwards quicker we are winning the ball but we don't have a player to give it too within 20 yards. I think we need to drive at defences to get the most out of our forwards to create more help and running of the shoulder to create opening which is how the last goal was created and both Mooney and Turley did this to create scores today but it wasn't done enough. More often we turn back and seem content to go back and forth a lot at one stage today we made 33 passes before we got into the oppositions half. In saying all that we really dug deep today to come away with a win a never say die attitude which is great to see and a willingness for work. Another thing I noticed was that all the players and panel stayed together for the anthem and even after the Kildare team had lined out the down team subs and all were still in a huddle showing a great sign of togetherness which is good to see. All in all a good day with the College also having a good win also

Aristo 60

Quote from: Mourne Rover on February 01, 2015, 08:18:43 PM
Fortune definitely smiled on us in the closing stages but you also make your own luck and we finished the game with huge belief and no little skill.

While Kildare will obviously feel they should never have lost a match which they led by three points in the final minute, after both missing a penalty and hitting the underside of the crossbar, we had generally dominated possession and conceded a very poor defensive goal through a breakaway. Kildare effectively invited us to come at them late on and we had the flair players who were able to take advantage.

We had some reasonable performances at the back, although Cunningham seemed to panic when he pulled down a Kildare forward who was unlikely to score and duly picked up a black card. Kane's subsequent save was top drawer and kept us in the contest.

Both O'Hagan and Howard saw their opponents pick off a few scores, but O'Hagan in particular showed a fair amount of quality with a brilliant full length block and a classy point at the other end. Garvey will have better days, and was caught out for their goal, but both Dee Turley and McKernan were impressive and were always ready to push up. Ryan Johnston was reasonable and may have picked up a knock when he was withdrawn at half time, while McArdle covered a huge amount of ground.

Madine was excellent at midfield, and is capable of nailing a spot there, but Fitzpatrick struggled after a decent start, Maginn was in and out of the game and took a black card for the team towards the end, while Devlin had his best ever display for Down from both frees and play and his last point was something special.

Jerome Johnston put himself about without really getting going, but O'Hare was back to his best and fully deserved his goal. Laverty may not have scored but was everywhere and his refusal to accept defeat got us over the line.

Mooney can look anonymous and then burst into action which he certainly did with his brilliantly taken goal. The rest of the subs actually did not make much impact until McConville was in the right place when the ball came back from the crossbar.

With the Warrenpoint players due to return, and hopefully a couple of other familiar faces also coming back, we have the makings of a strong squad and, with four of our remaining six games in Newry, promotion is certainly not out of the question.

It is early days yet, but McCorry's selections and tactics served us well today and he is entitled to be very satisfied with his first league outing.

Great account of a great day by mourne rover. Thought we thoroughly deserved it for the work rate and bravery. We won't come up against all that many teams this year who score the fine long range points as Kildare took today. Hats off to all players and management for making the successful changes. Mooneys goal was a treat. I'd just finished telling the Kildare lad beside me to watch out for him when he duly lit the afterburners!

Lovely to see and hear the delight in the camp and the fans at full time.

Well done down.  :)

Shamrocks Gaelp

Anyword or Malachy Magee, packie Downey and big Kevy Anderson and the other McKay brother? Were they cut from the panel for the league?

snoopdog

best of luck to Portaferry on saturday.

5 Sams

Team for Saturday

Happy enough with that...leaves us with a very strong bench if needed...not sure why Garvey isn't there...good to see Magee getting a run...he earned his stripes in the McKenna Cup. At the risk of putting the blink on us.... are we getting close to a very good fullback line?...something we haven't had in quite a while. Will be interesting to see what Danny Savage brings to the table..of course they wont line out like that but I'd be confident of 2 points sa bhaile.

Down (NFL v Roscommon): S Kane; D O'Hagan, B McArdle, L Howard; M Magee, D Turley, K McKernan; N Madine, P Fitzpatrick; P Devlin, C Laverty, C Mooney; C Crilly, D O'Hare, D Savage.

The Aristocrat Years

Mourne Rover

It is a little surprising to see five changes but Kane was always going to come into nets. The Johnston brothers were probably rested with their Sigerson match in mind and McCorry may have felt that, although McKernan is involved in the same game, we could not do without him. Garvey did struggle last Sunday and was probably at fault for the goal but he will be back before long, as will Maginn.

Magee and Crilly did reasonably well in the McKenna Cup, and so were entitled to get a run, and Mooney's pace will scare any opposition. McConville and Poland might have expected to be ahead of Savage but are decent options from the bench. There is going to be a fair amount of competition for places when the Warrenpoint players return.

whitegoodman

Quote from: 5 Sams on February 05, 2015, 09:54:42 PM
Team for Saturday

Happy enough with that...leaves us with a very strong bench if needed...not sure why Garvey isn't there...good to see Magee getting a run...he earned his stripes in the McKenna Cup. At the risk of putting the blink on us.... are we getting close to a very good fullback line?...something we haven't had in quite a while. Will be interesting to see what Danny Savage brings to the table..of course they wont line out like that but I'd be confident of 2 points sa bhaile.

Down (NFL v Roscommon): S Kane; D O'Hagan, B McArdle, L Howard; M Magee, D Turley, K McKernan; N Madine, P Fitzpatrick; P Devlin, C Laverty, C Mooney; C Crilly, D O'Hare, D Savage.

Very good corner backs maybe but still looking for a fullback.  Obviously wasn't impressed with Garvey last week and McArdle has been looked at there before.

Glad to see Kane given a chance but slightly concerned that he is sticking with McKernan at wing back and the midfield even though Madine did rightly last week.

Would like to see a couple of the point boys introduced soon enough.

5 Sams

I think yiz are being a wee bit unfair on Garvey lads...he has been one of our stand out defenders over the last 3 or 4 years. He was caught flat footed for the goal last week...anyone who was there could see he was watching his man and trying to watch the ball but it didn't work out. He is one of our best defenders and I want him in the mix come June in Celtic Park....and no..Im not from the bridge ;)
The Aristocrat Years