The next 10 all Irelands

Started by seafoid, September 19, 2021, 01:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rudi

Quote from: sid waddell on September 27, 2021, 10:58:00 AM
60 years since an Ulster team retained the All-Ireland.

77 years since Roscommon retained an All Ireland. Way to long :)

rrhf

Im happy enough to treat this year as a one off, at this point in time until about next July anyway... 
If they win another one it will be great surely, but that is for next year and the following years.  No guarantee of a bountiful run or decade until it happens.. but by God it is the best possible start...  ;D
My money is on Mayo next year, with the Dubs and Kerry going to be  snarling at everyone... Tyrone 4th favourites in my eyes.. Is it too early to say I don't think we got the respect we deserve for winning it....  ;)

Rossfan

Quote from: Rudi on September 27, 2021, 11:21:10 AM

The good oul days :'(
5 of our 10 All Ireland were won in  6 glorious years.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Rossfan on September 27, 2021, 11:34:15 AM
Quote from: Rudi on September 27, 2021, 11:21:10 AM

The good oul days :'(
5 of our 10 All Ireland were won in  6 glorious years.
??
What grades are you talking about?

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Rossfan

Minor 39,41,51,06.
Junior 1940 (then our first team!) and 2000
Senior 1943, 44.
U21 1966, 1978.
And we bet Kerry in  Finals of all 4 grades.
Not many Counties can say that.

Rudi

Quote from: Rossfan on September 27, 2021, 12:12:54 PM
Minor 39,41,51,06.
Junior 1940 (then our first team!) and 2000
Senior 1943, 44.
U21 1966, 1978.
And we bet Kerry in  Finals of all 4 grades.
Not many Counties can say that.

Thats true, but Mayo could say they lost to them in all grades & probably throw in a good few more counties.  ;D

thejuice

Meath will have to win one. At least something to justify the mad work that gone into it the last few years. Otherwise we might just be mad altogether.

More positive developments at underage here:
https://www.meathchronicle.ie/2021/09/27/horgan-appointed-as-new-head-of-meath-football-development-2/

We are I think on the right path after a wobbly start to Andy's reign. Still a lot of work to do and deficit in talent to make up in the panel to be honest. Underage things are going better than ever and there's more that we can achieve still at those grades.

Not sure how much longer Andy is willing to go with the team and his successor within the county of far from obvious however.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Man Marker

Was talking to a very passionate Gaa man at the weekend giving out about RTE's and the south in general, looking down their noses at Ulster. Then he went unto state that since Ulster's re emergence  in 91 of winning All Irelands,  Ulster counties have been to 13 All Ireland finals winning 10 which a 33.3% win. Not a mention of it. I actually didn't realise that myself. Additionally he said if Fitzgerald or Stephen Cluxton had of hit the free Morgan did in the semifinal from the distance he hit it, they would be immortalising them. He said Morgans free is the greatest free in  in Croke Park he ever saw, again forgotten about because its an Ulster team/player. Fair observations or not?

armaghniac

Of course it is fair to say that the Dubs are hyped up by the media.
However, but Maurice Fitzgerald also tormented us with free kicks  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQjF_WdsCBk&t=50s
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Hound

Quote from: Man Marker on September 27, 2021, 04:09:00 PM
Was talking to a very passionate Gaa man at the weekend giving out about RTE's and the south in general, looking down their noses at Ulster. Then he went unto state that since Ulster's re emergence  in 91 of winning All Irelands,  Ulster counties have been to 13 All Ireland finals winning 10 which a 33.3% win. Not a mention of it. I actually didn't realise that myself. Additionally he said if Fitzgerald or Stephen Cluxton had of hit the free Morgan did in the semifinal from the distance he hit it, they would be immortalising them. He said Morgans free is the greatest free in  in Croke Park he ever saw, again forgotten about because its an Ulster team/player. Fair observations or not?

Ah, a load of nonsense really.

Ulster counties do like to be lumped together for some reason. Nobody would really lump the counties in the other provinces together and say how good or bad they are in finals. What does Tyrone being good in finals have to do with Armagh and Donegal?

And while the stat seems impressive at first glance (although I think it's 9 wins?), it completely ignores the many years when Ulster counties weren't good enough to reach a final, which therefore, they would have been unlikely to win had they got there. For example, in the Dublin 6 in a row, Ulster counties only lost 1 final. Whereas if Mayo and Kerry had not been around, and an Ulster county faced Dublin in all 6 finals, I think it may have wrecked the stat.

Morgan's point was super and was lauded from a height on both RTE and Sky at the time. Asking why a certain Maurice Fitzgerald point and a certain Stephen Cluxton point gets more credit is all about context. He should ask himself why Seamus Darby's goal is so highly lauded. It was hardly a masterpiece.

Rossfan

Quote from: Man Marker on September 27, 2021, 04:09:00 PM

I presume this is a stereotype piss take ;D

Otherwise it's a strong contender for the 2021 "Nordie bag o' spuds on the shoulder" award.

sid waddell

Quote from: Hound on September 27, 2021, 04:32:02 PM
He should ask himself why Seamus Darby's goal is so highly lauded. It was hardly a masterpiece.
It was a great goal actually. Brilliant corner forward play to get himself in position to gather the ball and a brilliant finish on the turn. He did Tommy Doyle up like a kipper.

seafoid

Will Dublin resume their dominance or will the peleton produce some winners ?
The factors that lead to the 6 in a row are still.there.
But at least Fenton has lost a championship match.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Farrandeelin

Quote from: rrhf on September 27, 2021, 11:22:12 AM
Im happy enough to treat this year as a one off, at this point in time until about next July anyway... 
If they win another one it will be great surely, but that is for next year and the following years.  No guarantee of a bountiful run or decade until it happens.. but by God it is the best possible start...  ;D
My money is on Mayo next year, with the Dubs and Kerry going to be  snarling at everyone... Tyrone 4th favourites in my eyes.. Is it too early to say I don't think we got the respect we deserve for winning it....  ;)

What makes you put money on Mayo next year? Genuinely curious.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Captain Obvious

Ulster GAA provincial secretary and CEO Brian McAvoy has said that there are "significant weaknesses" in the idea of a league-based All-Ireland Football Championship.

https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1250023/?