Monaghan v Armagh Sat 22nd June Clones 7pm

Started by tonto1888, June 12, 2019, 07:20:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Main Street on June 22, 2019, 10:22:16 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on June 22, 2019, 09:23:03 PM
Another big news story to come out of this game is this one https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/malachy-orourke-steps-down-as-monaghan-boss-following-defeat-to-armagh-38244008.html.  Brought Monaghan to heights they probably never expected and will be hard to find a good replacement for him now.
Malachy did very well, not that those heights were expected as a right but we knew they were well within the scope of Monaghan to achieve something more with a good manager after Banty.

He has done brilliantly with that group of players but this championship they have not been able to pull it together. Perhaps a new voice is needed to start them off again but not Banty. Fresh management needed, generational shift, could do worse than looking at the Fermanagh man who has done so well with Scotstown.

Main Street

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on June 22, 2019, 10:41:55 PM
Quote from: Main Street on June 22, 2019, 10:22:16 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on June 22, 2019, 09:23:03 PM
Another big news story to come out of this game is this one https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/malachy-orourke-steps-down-as-monaghan-boss-following-defeat-to-armagh-38244008.html.  Brought Monaghan to heights they probably never expected and will be hard to find a good replacement for him now.
Malachy did very well, not that those heights were expected as a right but we knew they were well within the scope of Monaghan to achieve something more with a good manager after Banty.

He has done brilliantly with that group of players but this championship they have not been able to pull it together. Perhaps a new voice is needed to start them off again but not Banty. Fresh management needed, generational shift, could do worse than looking at the Fermanagh man who has done so well with Scotstown.
That group of players are an excellent group, perhaps not enough depth in the squad, but any good manager would  achieve with them.

Angelo

MOR had hit a cul-de-sac with things and I think it reached a natural conclusion for him but he has done wonders for them in his time there. I was having a look last night to see when Tyrone last contested a minor final and what struck me was that Monaghan have nearly been a constant there since we last won one. They have good structures in place so they need the right man in next and hopefully for them he can keep at this level.

It's a rough draw for them this year. I really think sides from the same province should be stopped from drawing each other in the qualifiers, it's certainly been very unfair on Ulster sides in the past.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Aaron Boone

Quote from: David McKeown on June 22, 2019, 10:06:55 PM
Quote from: Angelo on June 22, 2019, 09:01:33 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on June 22, 2019, 08:59:59 PM
Quote from: Angelo on June 22, 2019, 08:57:00 PM
Welcome back Armagh.

I think Tyrone Armagh is nailed on in the next round.

I agree. Just hope Harte doesn't get either black card rescinded

The black cards? Think he needs another one to incur a ban and I think it's a cert that both ones to date will be overturned if a ban does come.

I thought it was two black cards in one competition or three in a year that ended up in a ban. Then once banned you could appeal any.
The Tyrone legal team have this one covered.

befair

Considering their small population, Monaghan have been over-achievers for the last few years. But it seems like this team's peak has come and gone, and it's time for a rebuild. Always tough competitors, I hope they come back soon

tonto1888

Quote from: Main Street on June 22, 2019, 08:38:58 PM
Looks like a well deserved win for Armagh, they strolled through the 2nd half.

Monaghan didn't come out for the second half at all. It was 22 mins in before you got a score. The goal out a better reflection on it but it should never have been conceded. I don't know what happened. We played well yesterday, our defence was very good and unlike against Cavan we took our goal chances

yellowcard

With a good draw Armagh could now realistically hope to make the super 8s. Going forward they are as good as any side bar Dublin, Kerry and Donegal. If they shore up defensively they can hope to be a division one side in the next couple of years.

O'Rourke did a good job with Monaghan but probably stayed on a year too many they may lose a few players now that he has moved on. Maybe it's time for Dick to step up.

BennyCake

I wish people would stop talking about super 8's and who's going to be there. Once you're in the qualifiers, it's a lottery. Let's just see what the draw is and take it one game at a time.

smelmoth

Quote from: BennyCake on June 23, 2019, 10:54:03 AM
I wish people would stop talking about super 8's and who's going to be there. Once you're in the qualifiers, it's a lottery. Let's just see what the draw is and take it one game at a time.

Wish people would stop talking about lotteries. The qualifiers are not a lottery. The draw like USFC is a lottery but performances are not

smelmoth

The McGeeney our cries get deferred for another week. Thought he got a lot right yesterday. Though today's match makes me wonder what if we had pressed the Cavan kick outs in the first match.