Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wobbller

Quote from: Truth hurts on January 10, 2022, 08:45:29 AM
I think we can stay in division 2 this season after Friday night's display, we have a lot of players to come back I urger everyone to get behind the team. I think big O'Rawe could be useful and Finn Mc looks decent.
In my opinion there are only about five or six from Friday's line out that be playing come the start of the league.

thewobbler

Quote from: wobbller on January 10, 2022, 09:04:43 AM
Quote from: Truth hurts on January 10, 2022, 08:45:29 AM
I think we can stay in division 2 this season after Friday night's display, we have a lot of players to come back I urger everyone to get behind the team. I think big O'Rawe could be useful and Finn Mc looks decent.
In my opinion there are only about five or six from Friday's line out that be playing come the start of the league.

I hope you're wrong wobbller. Down have needed a clear out for about 5-6 seasons but there was nobody to take the places. The last couple of years of under-20s are more talented than we've had in 15 years. They of course need some experience around to help them get going, but they don't need inferior players keeping them out.

Smurfy123

Agree with wobbler
A big clear out is needed
But can the management hold their nerve
Get Tuesday nights game over and I think James will go back to the players that have been about the squad for years
Why not stick with the likes of
McCormack
O Rawe
McElroy
Doherty
Close
Prenter
Murdock

New players so give them a go

whitegoodman

All depends on what Kilcoo players commit.  If you only get 2 or 3 which i fear then you will need everyone from last years panel and the below mentioned.

From last years team I would be put the below as key players.

D O Hagan
Mooney
B O Hagan
Kerr

That leaves a lot of places up for grabs.

Add in the returning Doherty and McParland who will probably become key players and you are still short.  Realistically the below would probably be starters for Down if they make themselves available;

Kane
R McEvoy
Rooney
Morgan
J Johnston
R Johnston

With Ward and C Johnston not far away.  If the above was available it actually would be the makings of a decent div 2 team

Kane
?
McEvoy
O Hagan
Rooney
McParland
Morgan
Doherty
Mooney
R Johnston
?
?
Kerr
O Hagan
J Johnston

That full forward line would put the fear into a lot of teams.  I still think we might be a bit light at midfield and are obviously missing a few half forwards which is where some of the younger lads might fit in.

If we could get all of the above to commit I think there are reasons to be optimistic.

Truth hurts

Quote from: whitegoodman on January 10, 2022, 10:46:16 AM
All depends on what Kilcoo players commit.  If you only get 2 or 3 which i fear then you will need everyone from last years panel and the below mentioned.

From last years team I would be put the below as key players.

D O Hagan
Mooney
B O Hagan
Kerr

That leaves a lot of places up for grabs.

Add in the returning Doherty and McParland who will probably become key players and you are still short.  Realistically the below would probably be starters for Down if they make themselves available;

Kane
R McEvoy
Rooney
Morgan
J Johnston
R Johnston

With Ward and C Johnston not far away.  If the above was available it actually would be the makings of a decent div 2 team

Kane
?
McEvoy
O Hagan
Rooney
McParland
Morgan
Doherty
Mooney
R Johnston
?
?
Kerr
O Hagan
J Johnston

That full forward line would put the fear into a lot of teams.  I still think we might be a bit light at midfield and are obviously missing a few half forwards which is where some of the younger lads might fit in.

If we could get all of the above to commit I think there are reasons to be optimistic.

Corey Quinn will walk onto the team, the best player in the county IMO

Truth hurts

Also, Kerr is better coming from deep and gaining yards, I do not think he is suited to playing inside and I do not think he has the brain for that game. He is unreal at getting the ball at half-back and making yards, same with Shealan J.

wobbller

Quote from: Smurfy123 on January 10, 2022, 10:04:59 AM
Agree with wobbler
A big clear out is needed
But can the management hold their nerve
Get Tuesday nights game over and I think James will go back to the players that have been about the squad for years
Why not stick with the likes of
McCormack
O Rawe
McElroy
Doherty
Close
Prenter
Murdock

New players so give them a go
I'd have to disagree on most of your 7.Only o'Rawe and Doherty for me but would add in McGeogh and can kick a 55.

whitegoodman

Quote from: Truth hurts on January 10, 2022, 11:10:20 AM
Also, Kerr is better coming from deep and gaining yards, I do not think he is suited to playing inside and I do not think he has the brain for that game. He is unreal at getting the ball at half-back and making yards, same with Shealan J.

I would have him playing inside and coming out the field.

Barry O Hagan is best forward in county for me.  Corey needs to do a bit more for county to get to that level IMO.  Ideally I would have Barry further out the field as well but we would be extremely small full forward line with Jerome and Corey in it.

Truth hurts

a forward line of Shealan, Jerome, Ryan  Kerr, Barry, Corey would definitely stay in division 2

manwithnoplan

Quote from: Truth hurts on January 10, 2022, 01:21:48 PM
a forward line of Shealan, Jerome, Ryan  Kerr, Barry, Corey would definitely stay in division 2

Yes that is a good forward line, but it's the rest of the team that provides the platform for forwards to play. The best forwards in Ireland can only perform if they get decent service and space to operate. But I would be positive too about the year ahead in general, hopefully see a few young faces establish themselves and see some good football.

befair

Quote from: manwithnoplan on January 10, 2022, 03:23:28 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on January 10, 2022, 01:21:48 PM

Yes that is a good forward line, but it's the rest of the team that provides the platform for forwards to play. The best forwards in Ireland can only perform if they get decent service and space to operate. But I would be positive too about the year ahead in general, hopefully see a few young faces establish themselves and see some good football.
Of all the Kilcoo players, Daryl Branagan is surely the one we need most; the best club player in Down for yrs (along with Darren O'Hagan). Don't know his age, but surely we could get a year out of him

Truth hurts

Unpopular opinion but I do not think Dabs would be outstanding at the county level, the step-up is enormous. There are some players who have been excellent club players but never were county players. He would be are similar to Shorty Trainor, Jarly Austin, Paul Evans, Gee Morgan, Robbie Coulter et al.
I hope the Kilcoo boys commit as they need to be consistent at the highest level to be remembered outside the county. The Johnstons could be all-star material if they fully commit to the red and black.

Johnnysboys

Quote from: Truth hurts on January 10, 2022, 03:52:45 PM
Unpopular opinion but I do not think Dabs would be outstanding at the county level, the step-up is enormous. There are some players who have been excellent club players but never were county players. He would be are similar to Shorty Trainor, Jarly Austin, Paul Evans, Gee Morgan, Robbie Coulter et al.
I hope the Kilcoo boys commit as they need to be consistent at the highest level to be remembered outside the county. The Johnstons could be all-star material if they fully commit to the red and black.

Totally agree with your first point here. Dabs would be lucky to get in the county team. Seen him getting a trimming this year against Burren in the league by young Murdock. Didn't buy any of his antics and gave him plenty of physicality back - dabs was lost.. Doesn't happen too often but I think the likes of Shane Walsh from Galway would take him apart.
Johnston's being All Star material - don't make me laugh!! The most uncontrollable brood in this county and no club manager has ever gained their full commitment.. luckily their feet do the talking during games as attitude is poor..

rosskarr

FM

With Preseason under way, what club teams do you think will take the next step this year?