Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnysboys

]

Yes hopefully. It's been a struggle this last few years and it makes you realise how much you miss uninterrupted football. The U20/U21/U19 has traditionally always been in winter. It's never changed apart from the number of clubs participating has got smaller. What do you suggest would make it better?
[/quote]

Last years alternate weeks theory was excellent. Clubs play on alternate Saturdays with the PRFL. Playing on Saturday meant that u17 could be used if low on numbers as they don't play until Monday nights. It didn't work in terms of participating teams which is a major problem. For some reason teams love these B,C,D etc competitions. It's absolutely nothing to do with lack of numbers. If you can't field a team between 16-19 year olds - don't enter the competition. I don't often give credit to the noisy neighbours but they used it perfectly.. any u19 lads that played for the seniors on Friday night  didn't feature on the Saturday. They didn't hammer anyone and took a bit of a dent v Carryduff in the group phase. What's the point in Odhran Murdock playing for seniors on Friday nights (full game) and doing the same on Saturday in u19 (full game). Some lad is then sitting having got no football that weekend and this is why we have drop out rates..
If I'm training with the seniors/PR in my club and not quite making either team but can definitely get a game every other week with my peers - at least I have a reason for training. My own club situation was a disgrace last year - entered the league, then pulled out, then re entered and got a couple of hidings as it wasn't ran correctly from a club perspective. Hopefully something can be done this year as it's crucial with a senior team with players in mid to late 30s to be looking at the next generation in a competitive field..

Ed Hardy

Good to have the county season back this Friday. The I.N. article with Niall McP. sounded like Mc Kernan, McArdle, Darren O'hagan were all still involved this year, makes sense for their experience alone. They also said new players included  Dennis Murtagh, Jack Mccartan, T Rushe and O Murdock. Will be interesting to see what sort of team lines out against  Donegal, given they are so far behind most  counties in terms of starting,  you would imagine they will play a fairly strong team.

Lecale Gael

Down ACFL as per website with teams listed last seasons placings. The normal way to grade championships status in past and it's not far away by the looks of it. Bredagh and Saul probably punching above their weight which is great to see.

Championship status (SFC/IFC/JFC) as denoted based on last season performance.
Rostrevor relegated to IFC
An Riocht promoted to SFC
Dromara relegated to JFC
Aughlisnafin promoted to IFC

ACFL Division 1 (12 teams)

CPN Warrenpoint (SFC)
Clonduff (SFC)
Mayobridge (SFC) - S Poacher
Burren (SFC)
Carryduff (SFC)
Cill Chua (SFC) - M Moran
Ballyholland (SFC)
Bryansford (SFC) - C Deegan
Rostrevor (IFC) - B Coulter
Loughinisland (SFC)
RGU Downpatrick (SFC) - Robinson
Castlewellan (SFC)

ACFL Division 2 (10 teams)

Longstone (SFC)
Glenn John Martins (SFC)
An Riocht (SFC)
Darragh Cross (IFC)
Bredagh (SFC)
Sabhaill Naomh Pádraig (SFC)
Annaclone (IFC)
St John's Drumnaquoile (IFC)
Liatroim (IFC)
Saval (IFC)

ACFL Division 3 (12 teams)

Newry Shamrocks (IFC)
Ballymartin (IFC)
Tullylish (IFC)
Drumgath (IFC)
Attical (IFC)
Aughlisnafin (IFC)
St John Bosco (IFC)
Clan na Banna (IFC)
Teconnaught (JFC)
Bright (IFC)
Dromara (JFC)
St Pauls (IFC)

ACFL Division 4 (9 teams)

Kilclief (JFC)
Dundrum (JFC)
Ardglass (JFC)
East Belfast (JFC)
St Colman's Drumaness (JFC)
Glasdrumman (JFC)
Aghaderg (JFC)
St Michaels (JFC)
Newry Mitchels (JFC)

The Championships anomaly of IFC teams in div 4 now corrected it appears.
The only JFC teams in Div 3 are Teconnaught and Dromara. There are no Div 4 teams in IFC.

With div 1 and div 3 both having 12 teams I don't think the CAD is feasible. Be lucky to even get two rounds as that's 22 games.

Also not sure on St Paul's status as have not seen anything publicly stated either ??

Div 1 contenders
Burren, Kilcoo, Clonduff but hard to call if starred leagues

Div 2
Longstone and Glenn I reckon

Div 3
Shamrocks the strongest and any from Drumgath, Ballymartin or Attical ?

Div 4
Kilclief prob strongest but Dundrum and Drumaness in the mix I'd say but East Belfast are the dark horses they seem to be getting stronger

As regards managers am not sure who is with whom ??
Poacher at Mayobridge
Deegan at Bryansford
2016 Prediction Competition 3rd place :)

Back2Winning

Club Managers for 2022 Please update where missing

ACFL Division 1 (12 teams)

CPN Warrenpoint (SFC) - S Mullholland
Clonduff (SFC) - C McBride
Mayobridge (SFC) - S Poacher
Burren (SFC) - J McCorry
Carryduff (SFC) - F Moriarty
Cill Chua (SFC) - M Moran
Ballyholland (SFC) - R Murtagh
Bryansford (SFC) - C Deegan
Rostrevor (IFC) - B Coulter
Loughinisland (SFC) -K Duffin
RGU Downpatrick (SFC) - K Gracey
Castlewellan (SFC) - B Grant

ACFL Division 2 (10 teams)

Longstone (SFC) -
Glenn John Martins (SFC) - T Bagnall
An Riocht (SFC) - D Mussen
Darragh Cross (IFC) - DJ Kane / E Gormley
Bredagh (SFC) - B Mason
Sabhaill Naomh Pádraig (SFC) C O'Toole
Annaclone (IFC) - J Haughey
St John's Drumnaquoile (IFC) - C Burns
Liatroim (IFC) - F Fitzsummins
Saval (IFC) - D Hughes

ACFL Division 3 (12 teams)

Newry Shamrocks (IFC) - M Rafferty
Ballymartin (IFC) - C Brannagan
Tullylish (IFC) - D Corbett
Drumgath (IFC) - J Lynch
Attical (IFC) -
Aughlisnafin (IFC) - J Morgan
St John Bosco (IFC) - M McVeigh
Clan na Banna (IFC) - P Feeny
Teconnaught (JFC) - H Greene
Bright (IFC) - F Toner
Dromara (JFC) -
St Pauls (IFC) -

ACFL Division 4 (9 teams)

Kilclief (JFC) -
Dundrum (JFC) - J Clarke
Ardglass (JFC) -
East Belfast (JFC) -
St Colman's Drumaness (JFC) -
Glasdrumman (JFC) -
Aghaderg (JFC) -
St Michaels (JFC) -
Newry Mitchels (JFC) -

Lecale Gael

Dromara - M Walker
St Pauls - P Hannigan
Attical - C Burden
2016 Prediction Competition 3rd place :)

Kong King

Drumaness - Pat Morgan
Longstone - Eamon Morgan
Mitchels - Marty Boyle
Glasdrumman - Liam Howlett

Lotto

Quote from: Ed Hardy on January 03, 2022, 08:35:34 AM
Good to have the county season back this Friday. The I.N. article with Niall McP. sounded like Mc Kernan, McArdle, Darren O'hagan were all still involved this year, makes sense for their experience alone. They also said new players included Dennis Murtagh, Jack Mccartan, T Rushe and O Murdock. Will be interesting to see what sort of team lines out against  Donegal, given they are so far behind most  counties in terms of starting,  you would imagine they will play a fairly strong team.

The new players were described as youngsters which they are far from. Murdock is a serious talent and the IN mentions Charlie Smyth, Andrew Gilmore and Tom Close have all come up from the U20's. We'll need much more than this but these lads have potential. Gritty, tenecious, tight marking defenders, brutes of mobile midfielders and direct/incesive ball winning forwards are what we are lost for. Lads with the balls and attitude of Darren O'Hagan also but I just don't see it. Avoiding the Tailteann Cup has to be a priority for long term gain, dropping to Div 3 would be horrendeous.

Truth hurts

I am looking forward to this Friday's game to see what we have new to offer, I am not expecting much in the Mckenna cup but I am concerned as to why BOH made that rallying call to the Kilcoo contingent yesterday.  Its there murmurings from the Kilcoo camp that they won't attend the squad?

RIP to Sean Stranney , a Bright legend.

Smurfy123

It wasn't a great interview by BOH
Basically saying the need 9 Kilcoo players to survive in division 2 ? Who are these 9?
And he looks on in envy about how the Tyrone players look?

wobbller

Quote from: Truth hurts on January 04, 2022, 09:03:32 AM
I am looking forward to this Friday's game to see what we have new to offer, I am not expecting much in the Mckenna cup but I am concerned as to why BOH made that rallying call to the Kilcoo contingent yesterday.  Its there murmurings from the Kilcoo camp that they won't attend the squad?

RIP to Sean Stranney , a Bright legend.
A long way to go for such a late throw-in on a Friday night.Will you go yourself? Any others planning to go?

Truth hurts

No, I won't go but I hope it's being streamed.
I don't get the issue about Tyrone being ripped, do all clubs not have state-of-the-art gyms now anyway.

Truth hurts

Eggs in the basket: Down's county committee deciding they wouldn't offer their full backing to Paddy Tally without any earthly idea of who they would give it to, followed by a lengthy pursuit of a Conor Laverty, Marty Clarke and Jim McGuinness management team, before having to turn to James McCartan to pull them out of a sizeable hole after more than four months. McCartan will do well but this isn't the first mess Down have made of an appointment in recent years.

A piece in today's Irish news, someone may tell Cahair that it was the back benchers who got rid of Tally and left the executive to sort out a manager.

Mourne Red

Quote from: Truth hurts on January 04, 2022, 11:02:41 AM
I don't get the issue about Tyrone being ripped, do all clubs not have state-of-the-art gyms now anyway.

Wouldn't say state of the art - Squat Racks, Trap Bars, Benches, Dumbells etc But wouldn't have great set ups to do explosive exercises like sled push/pulls and the gyms are used by members of the club so can get busy.

Might have have also been dig at the S&C coaches that have worked with the County - Tyrone/Donegal have full time roles for a S&C coach I'm not sure if we have the same.

Hard2Listen2

Who's Tyrone's full time S&C coach?

Truth hurts

Quote from: Mourne Red on January 04, 2022, 11:54:41 AM
Quote from: Truth hurts on January 04, 2022, 11:02:41 AM

Wouldn't say state of the art - Squat Racks, Trap Bars, Benches, Dumbells etc But wouldn't have great set ups to do explosive exercises like sled push/pulls and the gyms are used by members of the club so can get busy.

Might have have also been dig at the S&C coaches that have worked with the County - Tyrone/Donegal have full time roles for a S&C coach I'm not sure if we have the same.

Would young lads also be members of gyms as well? I do not see what the fuss is about but I do think we need to get the ball moving in Ballykinlar. I also would like to see some money being pumped into Newcastle. There was something special about national league games in Newcastle and we seemed to always do well. It is the spiritual home of Down football, especially in the '60s. There should be a lot more games on it but everything seems to be pushed towards Newry which is handy for the big south Down clubs.