Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imagine

Quote from: Mourne Red on December 31, 2021, 09:06:10 AM
Quote from: imagine on December 31, 2021, 08:53:14 AM
Not familiar with Divs 1&2.How many teams are there in 1 and 2 at the minute?

Usually Top 2 divisions are 10 teams but because there was no relegation last year there is 12 teams in Top 2 Divisions. 4 Teams going down from each will make for some cracking league games.
Would Div 2 not have only 10? 2 away to Div 1 and 2 coming up from 3?

Mourne Red

Quote from: imagine on December 31, 2021, 09:43:02 AM
Quote from: Mourne Red on December 31, 2021, 09:06:10 AM
Quote from: imagine on December 31, 2021, 08:53:14 AM
Not familiar with Divs 1&2.How many teams are there in 1 and 2 at the minute?

Usually Top 2 divisions are 10 teams but because there was no relegation last year there is 12 teams in Top 2 Divisions. 4 Teams going down from each will make for some cracking league games.
Would Div 2 not have only 10? 2 away to Div 1 and 2 coming up from 3?

Yes your right - maths isn't my strong point tbf

Kong King

Div 1

Kilcoo
Clonduff
Rostrevor
Mayobridge
Loughinisland
Ballyholland
Burren
Warrenpoint
Bryansford
Carryduff
Downpatrick
Castlewellan

Div 2

Glenn
Longstone
An Riocht
Darragh Cross
Saul
St Johns
Annaclone
Bredagh
Saval
Liatroim

Div 3

Shamrocks
Drumgath
Tullylish
Clan na Banna
Ballymartin
Aughlisnafin
Attical
Teconnaught
Newry Bosco
Bright
Dromara
St Pauls (can anyone confirm this)

Div 4

East Belfast
Ardglass
Dundrum
Kilclief
Glassdrumman
St Michaels
Aghaderg
Drumaness
Mitchels

Who goes up/down next season and in what format??

manwithnoplan

Quote from: Kong King on December 31, 2021, 11:07:35 AM
Div 1

Kilcoo
Clonduff
Rostrevor
Mayobridge
Loughinisland
Ballyholland
Burren
Warrenpoint
Bryansford
Carryduff
Downpatrick
Castlewellan

Div 2

Glenn
Longstone
An Riocht
Darragh Cross
Saul
St Johns
Annaclone
Bredagh
Saval
Liatroim

Div 3

Shamrocks
Drumgath
Tullylish
Clan na Banna
Ballymartin
Aughlisnafin
Attical
Teconnaught
Newry Bosco
Bright
Dromara

Div 4

East Belfast
Ardglass
Dundrum
Kilclief
Glassdrumman
St Michaels
Aghaderg
Drumaness
Mitchels

St Paul's didn't get promoted, Bright and Dromara did. St Paul's retained their intermediate championship place though which might be what you're thinking off.

Kong King

Quote from: manwithnoplan on December 31, 2021, 01:28:36 PM
Div 1

Kilcoo
Clonduff
Rostrevor
Mayobridge
Loughinisland
Ballyholland
Burren
Warrenpoint
Bryansford
Carryduff
Downpatrick
Castlewellan

Div 2

Glenn
Longstone
An Riocht
Darragh Cross
Saul
St Johns
Annaclone
Bredagh
Saval
Liatroim

Div 3

Shamrocks
Drumgath
Tullylish
Clan na Banna
Ballymartin
Aughlisnafin
Attical
Teconnaught
Newry Bosco
Bright
Dromara

Div 4

East Belfast
Ardglass
Dundrum
Kilclief
Glassdrumman
St Michaels
Aghaderg
Drumaness
Mitchels

St Paul's didn't get promoted, Bright and Dromara did. St Paul's retained their intermediate championship place though which might be what you're thinking off.

I thought I seen them post somewhere that they were in Div 3 but I also heard there was some sort of issue with that? Has it been sorted now?

supersub

Quote from: Kong King on December 31, 2021, 08:42:41 AM
Not really sure what the county committee will do. Thought that corn an duin had its merits last year but was a bit lop sided in planning and execution. It would be good if the committee were planning now for next season, but in typical fashion it will be left until middle of march before anything is even talked about

Expand on this lopsided planning & execution? Or is it just another chance to moan about the County Board. You'll find Down's fixtures are among the best organised around. Never going to please everyone but just ask around other counties. You just have to look at what Armagh clubs were given as a calendar last year as one example.

manwithnoplan

Quote from: Kong King on December 31, 2021, 02:15:34 PM
Div 1

Kilcoo
Clonduff
Rostrevor
Mayobridge
Loughinisland
Ballyholland
Burren
Warrenpoint
Bryansford
Carryduff
Downpatrick
Castlewellan

Div 2

Glenn
Longstone
An Riocht
Darragh Cross
Saul
St Johns
Annaclone
Bredagh
Saval
Liatroim

Div 3

Shamrocks
Drumgath
Tullylish
Clan na Banna
Ballymartin
Aughlisnafin
Attical
Teconnaught
Newry Bosco
Bright
Dromara

Div 4

East Belfast
Ardglass
Dundrum
Kilclief
Glassdrumman
St Michaels
Aghaderg
Drumaness
Mitchels

I thought I seen them post somewhere that they were in Div 3 but I also heard there was some sort of issue with that? Has it been sorted now?

There was a twitter post looking to recruit players for a "division 3 campaign", which I think meant the campaign to get to division 3. Was a little odd to word it that way. And they will walk division 4 with very little competition given nobody dropped down from Div 3. I could well stand to be corrected by someone from St Paul's or more knowledgeable about Div 4 though.

Smurfy123

That goes without saying
Credit where it is due the fixtures in Down football is probably the best in Ireland or close to it
The Down County Board run a very good league pre covid
I would be very surprised if they didn't push on regardless of County players unavailability

Mourne Red

Quote from: manwithnoplan on December 31, 2021, 10:37:36 PM
Quote from: Kong King on December 31, 2021, 02:15:34 PM
Div 1

Kilcoo
Clonduff
Rostrevor
Mayobridge
Loughinisland
Ballyholland
Burren
Warrenpoint
Bryansford
Carryduff
Downpatrick
Castlewellan

Div 2

Glenn
Longstone
An Riocht
Darragh Cross
Saul
St Johns
Annaclone
Bredagh
Saval
Liatroim

Div 3

Shamrocks
Drumgath
Tullylish
Clan na Banna
Ballymartin
Aughlisnafin
Attical
Teconnaught
Newry Bosco
Bright
Dromara

Div 4

East Belfast
Ardglass
Dundrum
Kilclief
Glassdrumman
St Michaels
Aghaderg
Drumaness
Mitchels

There was a twitter post looking to recruit players for a "division 3 campaign", which I think meant the campaign to get to division 3. Was a little odd to word it that way. And they will walk division 4 with very little competition given nobody dropped down from Div 3. I could well stand to be corrected by someone from St Paul's or more knowledgeable about Div 4 though.

I'd be inclined to agree with that opinion but just depends which Dundrum/Drumaness turns up next year would expect those 3 battling it out for the league

Kong King

Quote from: supersub on December 31, 2021, 10:19:45 PM
Not really sure what the county committee will do. Thought that corn an duin had its merits last year but was a bit lop sided in planning and execution. It would be good if the committee were planning now for next season, but in typical fashion it will be left until middle of march before anything is even talked about

Expand on this lopsided planning & execution? Or is it just another chance to moan about the County Board. You'll find Down's fixtures are among the best organised around. Never going to please everyone but just ask around other counties. You just have to look at what Armagh clubs were given as a calendar last year as one example.

Just really didnt see the value in 1st Div teams playing 3rd Div teams - no-one learns anything genuine. Also was a bit long winded - no need for 7 games - could have been condensed to 4 games or 3 games. Just my opinion

manwithnoplan

Quote from: Kong King on December 31, 2021, 11:49:22 PM

Just really didnt see the value in 1st Div teams playing 3rd Div teams - no-one learns anything genuine. Also was a bit long winded - no need for 7 games - could have been condensed to 4 games or 3 games. Just my opinion

Can see where you are coming from, though it has to be said given the uncertain times and the lack of football the previous year it was a fairly good attempt by the county board to give players something to look forward to and take part in. I think most players now appreciate even more how fortunate they are to be able to get out and kick ball at the weekend regardless of the competition.

Kong King

Quote from: manwithnoplan on January 01, 2022, 12:28:28 PM
Quote from: Kong King on December 31, 2021, 11:49:22 PM

Can see where you are coming from, though it has to be said given the uncertain times and the lack of football the previous year it was a fairly good attempt by the county board to give players something to look forward to and take part in. I think most players now appreciate even more how fortunate they are to be able to get out and kick ball at the weekend regardless of the competition.

That's true too. I'm just thinking that if they're willing to invest so much time of the season into this, it could be used to beef out a league campaign like in pre covid. CAD was used by clubs last year to cherrypick games. Not trying to downgrade it, it's fact. But I thought it was a good theory which could be tweaked

Johnnysboys

Could the window being used for the CAD not be used for n effective U19/U20 competition rather than the half assed effort they are at present??

Smurfy123

Yes a better 19/20 competition needs to happen and with the current scheduling it just doesn't work
I think the board will push on with normal leagues from March
As bad as cases are now with covid I think the days of lockdowns on outdoor sports is gone

Kong King

Quote from: Smurfy123 on January 02, 2022, 08:58:14 AM
Yes a better 19/20 competition needs to happen and with the current scheduling it just doesn't work
I think the board will push on with normal leagues from March
As bad as cases are now with covid I think the days of lockdowns on outdoor sports is gone

Yes hopefully. It's been a struggle this last few years and it makes you realise how much you miss uninterrupted football. The U20/U21/U19 has traditionally always been in winter. It's never changed apart from the number of clubs participating has got smaller. What do you suggest would make it better?