Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHEEDY

Quote from: urbangael on December 23, 2021, 10:45:54 PM
Paul Mccomiskey should walk into those teams lads!
Paul McCommiskey, Connnaire Harrison and Peter Fitzpatrick all came into consideration for the team, just went with players who done it over a longer period. Donal top scorer for Down over different years and just edges out Kevin McKernan.
nil satis nisi optimum

Mourne Rover

All the individuals named so far have been brilliant for Down, but the original suggestion from Sheedy specified service to the county. While Clarke only played for two seasons at senior level he was probably our most gifted figure of the period. If we have to chose between O'Hare and McKernan, it's a tight one but the latter started four years earlier. It all comes down to opinions, which sadly in our case are generally looking backward rather than forward.

Mourne Red

Quote from: supersub on December 23, 2021, 11:17:33 PM
Quote from: Smurfy123 on December 23, 2021, 10:11:08 AM
Why would Castlewellan who are joined up with Loughinisland and Downpatrick players enter a 13 a side B competition with a squad of 29 players?
That just doesn't make any sense

A lot of teams back training from what I'm hearing. Rostrevor 5 nights a week what is all that about? Out county team wouldn't even be doing that

It's actually 6  ::)

Clonduff back training now too, lights on and players down at the pitch tonight. Seen it on drive back from Christmas shopping

rosskarr

Quote from: Mourne Red on December 24, 2021, 12:40:52 AM
Why would Castlewellan who are joined up with Loughinisland and Downpatrick players enter a 13 a side B competition with a squad of 29 players?

A  :)lot  : :Dof teams back training from what I'm hearing. Rostrevor 5 nights a week what is all that about? Out county team wouldn't even be doing that

Clonduff back training now too, lights on and players down at the pitch tonight. Seen it on drive back from Christmas shopping
Mourne Red-That was Down Seniors training tonight and I would know! :D

Mourne Red

Quote from: rosskarr on December 24, 2021, 01:18:50 AM

A  :)lot  : :Dof teams back training from what I'm hearing. Rostrevor 5 nights a week what is all that about? Out county team wouldn't even be doing that

Well it's good to see them out training then lol

Kong King

Quote from: rosskarr on December 24, 2021, 01:18:50 AM

County played Rostrevor in challenge game. Training after for both

Johnnysboys

Conor Laverty making a best team of the past 20 years for county???? How is that justified??? If it's purely on county representation he shudnt be anywhere near that team... Best club team of the same period - he is a shoe in..

ardtole

It was limited to one player from each club in fairness.

Lotto

Quote from: ardtole on December 25, 2021, 05:50:05 PM

What difference does that make to whether Laverty should be included or not? As Johnny says, as a club club absolutely but as a county player he was never good enough during this period.

ardtole

Quote from: Lotto on December 25, 2021, 06:36:03 PM

What difference does that make to whether Laverty should be included or not? As Johnny says, as a club club absolutely but as a county player he was never good enough during this period.
Some posters had Brendan McVeigh as the An Riocht selection, meaning the two Clarkes were ineligible for selection in the forward line, majority of people would select Ambrose as the Longstone rep, ruling out Mark Poland.

Similarly, picking Benny rules out Sexton and Walsh, plenty of other examples. No one suggested Laverty was in the top 6 forwards for Down in the last 20 years, but under the only 1 player from each club rule, he more than warrants a mention in my opinion.

Lotto

Quote from: ardtole on December 25, 2021, 07:45:31 PM

Some posters had Brendan McVeigh as the An Riocht selection, meaning the two Clarkes were ineligible for selection in the forward line, majority of people would select Ambrose as the Longstone rep, ruling out Mark Poland.

Similarly, picking Benny rules out Sexton and Walsh, plenty of other examples. No one suggested Laverty was in the top 6 forwards for Down in the last 20 years, but under the only 1 player from each club rule, he more than warrants a mention in my opinion.

He might deserve a mention but that is as far as it goes. There are better options from his club than him in my opinion.

ardtole

Id probably agree Darragh O'Hanlon would have been a good choice as a Kilcoo selection if it wasnt for his horrendous misfortune with injuries.

The Johnsons havent really set the world alight as off yet, so I wouldnt begrudge Laverty his selection under the 1 man per club criteria.

I think i read somewhere before he has 12 championship goals for down, which apart from Benny id imagine would compare favourably with a lot of the other players.

Lotto

Managers keep picking Paul Devlin for some reason, also a contender.

SHEEDY

Quote from: Lotto on December 25, 2021, 07:49:33 PM

He might deserve a mention but that is as far as it goes. There are better options from his club than him in my opinion.
who are these better options? Its only bitta craic, not that serious. Throw up your team with all these better options than everyone else 👍
nil satis nisi optimum

Lotto

Quote from: SHEEDY on December 25, 2021, 08:19:33 PM
Quote from: Lotto on December 25, 2021, 07:49:33 PM

who are these better options? Its only bitta craic, not that serious. Throw up your team with all these better options than everyone else 👍

I have spoken about 1 player having better options from his club than Laverty. Paul Devlin, Ryan Johnston, Jerome Johnston, Darragh O'Hanlon. Kilcoo had limited County input in this period so who says they need to have a player anyway?