Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manwithnoplan

Quote from: Hard2Listen2 on October 08, 2022, 05:35:29 PM
Quote from: manwithnoplan on October 08, 2022, 11:41:28 AM
Quote from: KeyboardWman on October 08, 2022, 10:07:06 AM
Deegan to clonduff next year

That would be a big investment, and not much of a track record to justify it.

He did well with the Finn in division 4

He won some games, did he do well? Didn't he have Dromara underperform in division 4 after his time with the Finn? And was he a success with Queens?

GAA Madness

Quote from: Truth hurts on October 11, 2022, 09:30:09 AM
Quote from: GAA Madness on October 11, 2022, 09:25:35 AM
Where have the rumours of Deegan to Clonduff come from, seems like a wild guess tbh. He will cost big money and cannot see Clonduff parting with big money again after a few years of pushing money to Tyrone men with no reward. Clonduff to go cheap this year imo, and stay in house, somehow.

Clonduff always find it hard when they go in-house, the parish is too big and the Hilltown and Cabra argument will always surface. I would say it's one of the hardest jobs in Down.

The shear arrogance of some of the players does not help either, for players who have won very little, they soon get a head about themselves, for winning the odd game or getting a down call up, they soon believe themselves to he world beaters, which doesn't bode well for team spirit

Truth hurts

Deegan left Dromara in a good place and they are now in a championship final, he kept a poor Bryansford team in Divison 1 against the odds so a stint with better players in Clonduff could be justifield. Brannigan seems the obvious man and deserves his chance at the reigns in Newcastle.

manwithnoplan

Quote from: Truth hurts on October 11, 2022, 10:46:13 AM
Deegan left Dromara in a good place and they are now in a championship final, he kept a poor Bryansford team in Divison 1 against the odds so a stint with better players in Clonduff could be justifield. Brannigan seems the obvious man and deserves his chance at the reigns in Newcastle.

Dromara getting to a championship final a couple of years after he left has nothing to do with him! Laughable. They failed to get promoted that year despite being fancied to do so. But fair enough on the Bryansford point, keeping them up was decent. The other teams he managed didn't progress or achieve much.

Truth hurts

Quote from: manwithnoplan on October 11, 2022, 12:07:30 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on October 11, 2022, 10:46:13 AM

Dromara getting to a championship final a couple of years after he left has nothing to do with him! Laughable. They failed to get promoted that year despite being fancied to do so. But fair enough on the Bryansford point, keeping them up was decent. The other teams he managed didn't progress or achieve much.

He left at the end of the season in 2021 if my memory serves me correctly. Bryansford needs someone to stay with them longer than a year and build a team as they have had more managers than Crystal Palace recently. Like Castlewellan, they are a huge club with a proud tradition but the expectation maybe is too high from committees and supporters.

snoopdog

Quote from: GAA Madness on October 11, 2022, 10:45:26 AM
Where have the rumours of Deegan to Clonduff come from, seems like a wild guess tbh. He will cost big money and cannot see Clonduff parting with big money again after a few years of pushing money to Tyrone men with no reward. Clonduff to go cheap this year imo, and stay in house, somehow.

Clonduff always find it hard when they go in-house, the parish is too big and the Hilltown and Cabra argument will always surface. I would say it's one of the hardest jobs in Down.

The shear arrogance of some of the players does not help either, for players who have won very little, they soon get a head about themselves, for winning the odd game or getting a down call up, they soon believe themselves to he world beaters, which doesn't bode well for team spirit
Are they the only club in Down like that.??

Hard2Listen2

Quote from: snoopdog on October 11, 2022, 02:06:42 PM
Quote from: GAA Madness on October 11, 2022, 10:45:26 AM

Are they the only club in Down like that.??

Na. It's a south Down thing!

That's right isn't it TT?

#busybeerocks

Truth hurts

Will Gary McMahon be fit for Sunday. If he is not I fear for CPN.

if Gilligan leaves Kilcoo after the season is over surely Jerome and Mark Doran would be an option

maldini

Doran's part of the Clare management team

Johnnysboys

Quote from: Truth hurts on October 12, 2022, 04:53:37 PM
Will Gary McMahon be fit for Sunday. If he is not I fear for CPN.

if Gilligan leaves Kilcoo after the season is over surely Jerome and Mark Doran would be an option

Despite his success at setting up an effective underage structure - I think Kilcoo will stay clear of Jerome. Imagine the difficulty with 3 sons and a mountain of nephews all to keep happy!! Impossible..
if - as expected - Gilligan is the fourth man for the county then I expect Thornton to step up and continue the job. The one thing they don't do is completely clear the decks with management - there is always one or two that stay in some capacity.
Where has Paddy Murray gone to in the last couple of seasons?

terrifictommy

Are you sure, when McCrory left was there any continuity or MCivor after that. I'm not so sure.

Leave the AI club winners to go play 4th fiddle in a Down set up, again I can't see that either. Maybe I'm wrong.

Truth hurts

I just heard that Bryansford sacked the two lads, they were favourites for relegation and they kept them in the first division. What does the Bryansford committee expect of them?
Who would want to manage them now as they get rid of a manager every 10 months!

Hard2Listen2

Quote from: Truth hurts on October 13, 2022, 08:37:25 AM
I just heard that Bryansford sacked the two lads, they were favourites for relegation and they kept them in the first division. What does the Bryansford committee expect of them?

Obviously issues there that go beyond coaching.
Seems from the outside to be a lot of cliques & agendas at play.

Johnnysboys

Bryansford are a very mysterious club. Have quite a bit of talent at their disposal and a bit of underage stuff coming through - will probably take 3/4 years for massive changes to happen but it will happen in time. Maybe the club recognise this and are focusing on saving money in the meantime so when these young lads come through they can get a top coach to take them. From what I hear Deegan was out of his depth this year anyhow - Fegan was the brains behind the stay in division one and senior championship. But both lads were costing an absolute fortune  - so why not save that.
In the times we have ahead of us with expenses - can clubs afford to be splurging out huge sums to management teams with absolutely no guarantee of anything that resembles success.
We spend what we need to and I'm sure Kilcoo do likewise - but the likes of the noisy neighbours are a disgrace if the figures being touted about are actually true. Surely there are good enough coaches in that club to be able to coach a senior team to a championship. Mayobridge likewise and the great underachievers Clonduff likewise.

Truth hurts

Quote from: Johnnysboys on October 13, 2022, 10:46:52 PM

Bryansford are a very mysterious club. Have quite a bit of talent at their disposal and a bit of underage stuff coming through - will probably take 3/4 years for massive changes to happen but it will happen in time. Maybe the club recognise this and are focusing on saving money in the meantime so when these young lads come through they can get a top coach to take them. From what I hear Deegan was out of his depth this year anyhow - Fegan was the brains behind the stay in division one and senior championship. But both lads were costing an absolute fortune  - so why not save that.
In the times we have ahead of us with expenses - can clubs afford to be splurging out huge sums to management teams with absolutely no guarantee of anything that resembles success.
We spend what we need to and I'm sure Kilcoo do likewise - but the likes of the noisy neighbours are a disgrace if the figures being touted about are actually true. Surely there are good enough coaches in that club to be able to coach a senior team to a championship. Mayobridge likewise and the great underachievers Clonduff likewise.

Fair play to your previous management team and the current one for volunteering to take CPN for free in the current climate. You do know that the great underachievers Clonduff have won the same amount in recent history as yourself ( 1 league title).
BTW since Warrenpoints last SFC win, the underachivers have won 3 senior championship titles.

Quit the south Down arrogance and show some respect.