Author Topic: Down Club Hurling & Football  (Read 7712611 times)

Truth hurts

• View Profile
Re: Down Club Hurling & Football
« Reply #36495 on: February 01, 2022, 08:39:18 AM »
There comes a point in every playerís life when you realise that you arenít just the superstar you thought you were. It isnít that you donít have the talent or the drive or the skills. Itís just that the day arrives when you find out the difference between the shallow end and the deep end. Welcome to the Thunderdome.

I watched the club championships back in February and March and the player that jumped out at me and everyone else was Michael Lundy of Corofin. You didnít need to be an expert to see that this guy can really play. He was fast, he was direct, he was decisive. When Corofin were in trouble, he called for the ball and drove at the opposition. He was excellent against St Vincentís and the same again against Slaughtneil on St Patrickís Day.

There were a couple more stand-out players for Corofin, like Gary Sice and Liam Silke, but you couldnít come away from those games and not look forward to what Lundy was going to bring to Galway in the summer.

So when I watched the recording of Mayo and Galway on Sunday after coming back from Thurles, he was one of the players I kept an eye out for from the start.

I didnít know whether it would be Lee Keegan or Colm Boyle whoíd be on him but, one way or another, this was going to be a test above all tests for him. Keegan and Boyle are as good as it gets as wing-backs Ė fast, strong, physical, full of running. Most important of all, theyíve been swimming in that deep water for four or five years at this stage.

It was Keegan that Lundy found himself on and straight away within the opening 40 seconds, the pair of them were wrestling away on the ground. The referee stopped play and went over and flashed a yellow at them both. The camera caught both of their reactions afterwards Ė Lundy let a big roar out of him, as if to say, ĎNow I have you where I want youí. Keegan just smiled a big smile, saying pretty much the same thing.

If Lundy thought he had Keegan in trouble because he got him on a yellow card inside the first minute, he was about to find out this wasnít Corofin he was playing for. We ainít in Kansas anymore, Toto.

Keegan has played in All-Ireland finals, he has a couple of All Stars under his belt. An early yellow card isnít going to inhibit him or stop him doing what needs to be done. He shut Lundy down for the rest of the game and only picked up his second yellow in injury-time for a bit of spoiling when the game was won. These boys have been around the block too many times to let a yellow card play on their mind.

The main thing I took away from watching Lundy was the massive jump you have to take from being a top-class club player to competing with the big guns at intercounty. Lundy was the best player on the best club team in the country but he hardly made an impact on Sunday. I donít want to knock him or single him out just for the sake of it, only to make the wider point about the step up in class.

The distance between club and county is light years. You never realise it until it happens to you. People can warn you about it and you can try to prepare yourself but until youíve gone out and tried something that worked in a club game but falls on its arse in an intercounty one, you wonít be able to get your head around it. Itís probably the earliest lesson you learn.

Second Captains

The club
Club football gives you a false impression of how good you are. That lovely little dummy solo that bought you a yard of space in a club game might work the first time you try it in county training but it wonít the second time. The second time, the defender will strip the ball and laugh at you while heís doing it.

On the face of it, the game is the same. Thereís every chance that when you go in for county training, the drills wonít be all that different to what youíre used to with a good club team. This is a small country and when somebody comes up with an innovative new drill, it crosses club and county boundaries like a rumour. So youíll see a coach lay out a drill for you and youíll be happy enough because youíve seen it before.

But the difference is the speed. Not so much speed on your feet or with your hands. More speed in your head. At club level, the drills are designed to improve your skill with the ball.

At county level, even if the drill is exactly the same, the objective is different. Itís taken as given that you have the skill Ė the purpose of the drill is to do the skill at pace.

Intercounty football is about economy. Move the ball at a high tempo, cover the ground in the most efficient way possible. For that to happen, these skills have to come as second nature. Club players take time to weigh up their options. It might only be a split-second but in the wrong company itís a split-second too much.

Pure fun

I loved playing club football. Thereís nothing you enjoy in your career more than time spent playing football with the fellas you grew up with. Even though you spend such a huge chunk of your time with the county panel, you long for the simplicity of being back with the club.

Just the pure fun of it. The slagging, the stories, the ducking and diving. My own club An Ghaeltacht went way up to Galway one year to play in a tournament. I wasnít with them because I was away with Kerry but I heard all about it. There was supposed to be a curfew but sure boys will be boys and by the time they met up for training the following week, all anyone was talking about was whether management were going to take action.

I used travel back west from Tralee with our manager Sťamus MacGearailt. The boys knew Iíd be in the car with him so I was to suss out what the story was. I got into the dressing room and straight away put them at their ease. Yeíre grand lads. No big deal. Boys will be boys.

We went out and warmed up anyway, before Sťamus called us into a circle. And he proceeded to tear strips out of every last one of them! Heedless messers, the lot of them. No standards. No pride. No hope. How could any of them hope to play for the county with this sort of attitude?

As he was doing this, they were all staring over at me, fit to kill me. I felt that they should be thanking me Ė sure didnít I give them a few brief moments of happiness on their way to the electric chair?

Some people assume itís a chore going back playing for the club but thatís not the way it is at all. Apart from anything else, a few county league games are great for the confidence if things arenít going well. Never underestimate the good it does you to turn a club game your teamís way by making a burst for 15 or 20 minutes and really affecting the game.

But if youíve been around for a few years at this thing, you know itís not doing you a lot of good. Short-term, maybe it will give you a boost and get you back some confidence. But long-term, itís no use to you. Youíre playing at a lower level and youíre swanning around barely being touched.

The talent
Itís the effect of the environment that surrounds you. Last Sunday, Michael Lundy found that he wasnít just up to it in that environment. I have no doubt that he will be, just not yet. He obviously has the talent and heís shown that he is well capable of lighting up games when the circumstances are right.

What he needs now is experience. He needs Galway to go on a run through the qualifiers and make an All-Ireland quarter-final, he needs to come up against good defenders from different counties and get the better of them.

He needs plenty of games for Galway rather than for Corofin so that when he meets Lee Keegan next year, he will be able to give him a better, fuller challenge.

Darragh O'Se wrote this in 2015 about Micheal Lundy of Corofin, We are getting carried away here men

BigRipper89

• View Profile
« Reply #36496 on: February 01, 2022, 10:15:04 AM »
Truth Hurts makes some very good points. Think people under estimate the step up to county football from club. Now thats not to say that a big handful of lads from kilcoo would be fit to make the panel. But its just not as easy to slot them straight in to downs starting 15. Niall and Adain Brannigan played in 2012 also and didnt get much game time so think thats why they choose not to commit as alot older now. Now Mc Evoy, Dabs, Jonstones, PD, Ward and Doc more than capable of playing at that level but would be in competition for starting places not certain of them. Forwards like Kerr, B.o Hagan, Corey Quinn all be of that level. Rooney cracking club player and would like to see him get a run for down this year and Mc Evoy/ Mc Elroy be great competition for each other.

On another note, any word of whats happening with the leauges. Surely it wont be 3 16 leauge teams with 6 going down at the end of the year as suggested. This would be such a waste of a year for some club teams   

snoopdog

• View Profile
« Reply #36497 on: February 01, 2022, 10:29:32 AM »
There comes a point in every playerís life when you realise that you arenít just the superstar you thought you were. It isnít that you donít have the talent or the drive or the skills. Itís just that the day arrives when you find out the difference between the shallow end and the deep end. Welcome to the Thunderdome.

I watched the club championships back in February and March and the player that jumped out at me and everyone else was Michael Lundy of Corofin. You didnít need to be an expert to see that this guy can really play. He was fast, he was direct, he was decisive. When Corofin were in trouble, he called for the ball and drove at the opposition. He was excellent against St Vincentís and the same again against Slaughtneil on St Patrickís Day.

There were a couple more stand-out players for Corofin, like Gary Sice and Liam Silke, but you couldnít come away from those games and not look forward to what Lundy was going to bring to Galway in the summer.

So when I watched the recording of Mayo and Galway on Sunday after coming back from Thurles, he was one of the players I kept an eye out for from the start.

I didnít know whether it would be Lee Keegan or Colm Boyle whoíd be on him but, one way or another, this was going to be a test above all tests for him. Keegan and Boyle are as good as it gets as wing-backs Ė fast, strong, physical, full of running. Most important of all, theyíve been swimming in that deep water for four or five years at this stage.

It was Keegan that Lundy found himself on and straight away within the opening 40 seconds, the pair of them were wrestling away on the ground. The referee stopped play and went over and flashed a yellow at them both. The camera caught both of their reactions afterwards Ė Lundy let a big roar out of him, as if to say, ĎNow I have you where I want youí. Keegan just smiled a big smile, saying pretty much the same thing.

If Lundy thought he had Keegan in trouble because he got him on a yellow card inside the first minute, he was about to find out this wasnít Corofin he was playing for. We ainít in Kansas anymore, Toto.

Keegan has played in All-Ireland finals, he has a couple of All Stars under his belt. An early yellow card isnít going to inhibit him or stop him doing what needs to be done. He shut Lundy down for the rest of the game and only picked up his second yellow in injury-time for a bit of spoiling when the game was won. These boys have been around the block too many times to let a yellow card play on their mind.

The main thing I took away from watching Lundy was the massive jump you have to take from being a top-class club player to competing with the big guns at intercounty. Lundy was the best player on the best club team in the country but he hardly made an impact on Sunday. I donít want to knock him or single him out just for the sake of it, only to make the wider point about the step up in class.

The distance between club and county is light years. You never realise it until it happens to you. People can warn you about it and you can try to prepare yourself but until youíve gone out and tried something that worked in a club game but falls on its arse in an intercounty one, you wonít be able to get your head around it. Itís probably the earliest lesson you learn.

Second Captains

The club
Club football gives you a false impression of how good you are. That lovely little dummy solo that bought you a yard of space in a club game might work the first time you try it in county training but it wonít the second time. The second time, the defender will strip the ball and laugh at you while heís doing it.

On the face of it, the game is the same. Thereís every chance that when you go in for county training, the drills wonít be all that different to what youíre used to with a good club team. This is a small country and when somebody comes up with an innovative new drill, it crosses club and county boundaries like a rumour. So youíll see a coach lay out a drill for you and youíll be happy enough because youíve seen it before.

But the difference is the speed. Not so much speed on your feet or with your hands. More speed in your head. At club level, the drills are designed to improve your skill with the ball.

At county level, even if the drill is exactly the same, the objective is different. Itís taken as given that you have the skill Ė the purpose of the drill is to do the skill at pace.

Intercounty football is about economy. Move the ball at a high tempo, cover the ground in the most efficient way possible. For that to happen, these skills have to come as second nature. Club players take time to weigh up their options. It might only be a split-second but in the wrong company itís a split-second too much.

Pure fun

I loved playing club football. Thereís nothing you enjoy in your career more than time spent playing football with the fellas you grew up with. Even though you spend such a huge chunk of your time with the county panel, you long for the simplicity of being back with the club.

Just the pure fun of it. The slagging, the stories, the ducking and diving. My own club An Ghaeltacht went way up to Galway one year to play in a tournament. I wasnít with them because I was away with Kerry but I heard all about it. There was supposed to be a curfew but sure boys will be boys and by the time they met up for training the following week, all anyone was talking about was whether management were going to take action.

I used travel back west from Tralee with our manager Sťamus MacGearailt. The boys knew Iíd be in the car with him so I was to suss out what the story was. I got into the dressing room and straight away put them at their ease. Yeíre grand lads. No big deal. Boys will be boys.

We went out and warmed up anyway, before Sťamus called us into a circle. And he proceeded to tear strips out of every last one of them! Heedless messers, the lot of them. No standards. No pride. No hope. How could any of them hope to play for the county with this sort of attitude?

As he was doing this, they were all staring over at me, fit to kill me. I felt that they should be thanking me Ė sure didnít I give them a few brief moments of happiness on their way to the electric chair?

Some people assume itís a chore going back playing for the club but thatís not the way it is at all. Apart from anything else, a few county league games are great for the confidence if things arenít going well. Never underestimate the good it does you to turn a club game your teamís way by making a burst for 15 or 20 minutes and really affecting the game.

But if youíve been around for a few years at this thing, you know itís not doing you a lot of good. Short-term, maybe it will give you a boost and get you back some confidence. But long-term, itís no use to you. Youíre playing at a lower level and youíre swanning around barely being touched.

The talent
Itís the effect of the environment that surrounds you. Last Sunday, Michael Lundy found that he wasnít just up to it in that environment. I have no doubt that he will be, just not yet. He obviously has the talent and heís shown that he is well capable of lighting up games when the circumstances are right.

What he needs now is experience. He needs Galway to go on a run through the qualifiers and make an All-Ireland quarter-final, he needs to come up against good defenders from different counties and get the better of them.

He needs plenty of games for Galway rather than for Corofin so that when he meets Lee Keegan next year, he will be able to give him a better, fuller challenge.

Darragh O'Se wrote this in 2015 about Micheal Lundy of Corofin, We are getting carried away here men

While the above is a very good point. I don't think anyone is getting carried away about the kilcoo players. The fact is a lot of the kilcoo players are better than what Down currently have. That doesn't mean Down will be world beaters but they need to start getting the best 15 in the county on the pitch. Down have no settled side, haven't for years. It's not as if bringing 6 or 7 players in that play regular with each other is going to upset the flow of the Down team. You could play the entire Kilcoo fwds and they would have given Derry a lot more trouble that what was there in sat night.

Truth hurts

• View Profile
« Reply #36498 on: February 01, 2022, 10:35:19 AM »
Truth Hurts makes some very good points. Think people under estimate the step up to county football from club. Now thats not to say that a big handful of lads from kilcoo would be fit to make the panel. But its just not as easy to slot them straight in to downs starting 15. Niall and Adain Brannigan played in 2012 also and didnt get much game time so think thats why they choose not to commit as alot older now. Now Mc Evoy, Dabs, Jonstones, PD, Ward and Doc more than capable of playing at that level but would be in competition for starting places not certain of them. Forwards like Kerr, B.o Hagan, Corey Quinn all be of that level. Rooney cracking club player and would like to see him get a run for down this year and Mc Evoy/ Mc Elroy be great competition for each other.

On another note, any word of whats happening with the leauges. Surely it wont be 3 16 leauge teams with 6 going down at the end of the year as suggested. This would be such a waste of a year for some club teams

I am just out of breakfast in Railway street, I spoke with a former East Down board member who would still have his finger on the pulse.
Div 1 will have the Stone, Glenn, the Kingdom and Darragh Cross added to it and one round of fixtures will be played. THE CCC cannot fit 22 games into the calendar before the championship.
I will get to speak to a few more people today and gauge the mood of clubs within Down. Div one beckons for Darragh Cross for the first time in their history.

toby47

• View Profile
« Reply #36499 on: February 01, 2022, 10:35:46 AM »
Fairly true Truth Hurts. However Down aren't competing with the Mayo's etc, they are fighting for survival in Division 2. 3-4 Kilcoo players walk on to that team that played Derry on Saturday night and 7-8 walk onto the panel.

Truth hurts

• View Profile
« Reply #36500 on: February 01, 2022, 11:26:05 AM »
Fairly true Truth Hurts. However Down aren't competing with the Mayo's etc, they are fighting for survival in Division 2. 3-4 Kilcoo players walk on to that team that played Derry on Saturday night and 7-8 walk onto the panel.

I agree with you but what I am trying to say is that Down football is strong. Look at Kilcoos games in the championship, Mayobridge, Clonduff, Carryduff, Ballyholland and Burren, every one of those games went into the last few minutes where Kilcoos experience took them over the line.
 We got fecked over when the backbenchers of the county board delegates ousted Tally and left the county executive to pick up the pieces to try and find a manager. Thankfully we have James in charge now but I believe Tally was not given a chance to build for the future. We have a culture in Down to get rid of the senior manager without getting to the root cause of the main issues in the county. I don't like going over things but the vote to oust Tally was not right and the clubs who supported it were wrong. This was done on a whim at a meeting and delegates then voted on it without consulting their club committees. It should never have happened and it would not have happened in another county and should not be allowed to happen again. The county board club delegates should have a voice but not that much power. There is nothing to stop at the next meeting that a delegate can propose a no confidence in any managers, get the required vote, and the circus will start again

thewobbler

• View Profile
    • Balllyholland Harps GAC
« Reply #36501 on: February 01, 2022, 11:43:51 AM »

I am just out of breakfast in Railway street, I spoke with a former East Down board member who would still have his finger on the pulse.
Div 1 will have the Stone, Glenn, the Kingdom and Darragh Cross added to it and one round of fixtures will be played. THE CCC cannot fit 22 games into the calendar before the championship.
I will get to speak to a few more people today and gauge the mood of clubs within Down. Div one beckons for Darragh Cross for the first time in their history.

Iíve heard variations of this proposal doing the rounds.

Letís say it is put to vote, and letís assume that D2 would have some form of promotion in 2022.

What people would be voting for is that 2023 would see a 10 team D1 in which 1 of the clubs would be the 17th ranked team in the county, and one of the clubs might be the 18th ranked team in the county. Theyíd be annihilated week in, week out. And without relegation  fears the other 8 clubs would dead rubber half the season.

Anyone voting through such a proposal should be immediately barred from ever having a vote on Down football again.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 11:45:22 AM by thewobbler »

Truth hurts

• View Profile
« Reply #36502 on: February 01, 2022, 12:02:44 PM »

Letís say it is put to vote, and letís assume that D2 would have some form of promotion in 2022.

What people would be voting for is that 2023 would see a 10 team D1 in which 1 of the clubs would be the 17th ranked team in the county, and one of the clubs might be the 18th ranked team in the county. Theyíd be annihilated week in, week out. And without relegation  fears the other 8 clubs would dead rubber half the season.

Anyone voting through such a proposal should be immediately barred from ever having a vote on Down football again.

I do not see why the leagues cannot be started in mid March and have a few double weeks but i am sure hurling is a problem. In division one Warrenpint, Clonduff, Mayobridge , Burren, Kilcoo,Bryansford, RGU and Castlewellan all have adequate floodlighting which could help matters. But a few Sat or sun games in March would be fine.

BUT the u19 comp is due to be starting then which will no doubt be an issue. Because of the crap u19 competition that was held last year, there is going to be a greater emphasis to get this properly run of this season so you could not have an u19 and senior game on the same day.

thewobbler

• View Profile
    • Balllyholland Harps GAC
« Reply #36503 on: February 01, 2022, 12:39:02 PM »
If senior football league is being held up to facilitate an u19 competition that will inevitably be a shitshow for most clubs, then thatís properly are about face stuff.

The biggest problem with playing fixtures in March is that it increases the chance of postponements due to weather. Which is okay if thereís wiggle room in the calendar, but itís a giant f**king headache when there isnít.

bigarsedkeeper

• View Profile
« Reply #36504 on: February 01, 2022, 12:47:55 PM »

Did that, or something similar, not happen in 2016 or 2017? I think it was Ballymartin that got out of Div 2 when there was 4 relegated from Div 1.

yewtree

• View Profile
« Reply #36505 on: February 01, 2022, 01:22:06 PM »
Down v Monaghan Ulster SFC

Smyth

Collins
McArdle
Aaron Brannigan

D Brannigan
McParland
D O'Hagan

Murdock
Mooney

B O'Hagan
J Johnston
McGovern

Shea McCartan
Kerr
Ryan Johnston

This is the team that Down are hoping to put out in Championship.
Already there has been talk to try and get the money together to buy out the soccer contracts and wages.
Lots of talk about scholarships and other ways to compensate the players if this can be done within GAA rules.
At the minute QUB GAA have scholarships but talk is they don't want to offer any more scholarships if players aren't playing for club and counties .Mc Govern has GAA scholarship there for this year, be great if QUB, Harps and Down could facilitate.
The Shea McCartan situation could be harder with Glens.
It would be some addition to Down if this can happen.Lots of potential benefactors out there to get this over the line.

Truth hurts

• View Profile
« Reply #36506 on: February 01, 2022, 01:40:50 PM »

CCC Proposal

The CCC proposal is that in 2022 we would have Three Divisions in Down, Division One would have 16 Teams, Division Two 18 Teams and Division Three Nine Teams. This would be for one season only and would provide us with a mechanism to reach a solution in 2023 where we would have Division One with 10 Teams, Division Two with 10 Teams, Division Three with 10 Teams and Division 4A and 4B to be made up of potentially 7 teams each or if additional teams were to be admitted we could have 10 teams in each.

Benefits

∑ Division One would have 15 games, Division Two 17 Games and Division Three 16 games.

∑ Flexibility in the Calendar if postponements were needed.

∑ County Players and Successful Clubs would not then have a huge burden of Club Fixtures.

∑ Better Schedule for players and Clubs, in each month there is a free week including July.

∑ All Matters are then resolved for 2023, when normal Home and Away structures would return, and teams would have 18 League Games.

∑ Top Nine Teams in Division One at end of 2022 constitute new Division One in 2023.

∑ 10th Team in Division One at end of 2022 plays the Top placed Team in Division Two at end of 2022 to decide final spot in Division One for 2023.

∑ Top Team in Division One wins the League.

∑ Bottom Six Teams in Division One at end of 2022 plus Top Three Teams in Division Two at end of 2022 and loser of the Play Off Game (Above) make up new Division Two in 2023

∑ Next Ten Teams in Division Two Make up New Division Three for 2023

∑ Remaining Four Teams in Division Two plus Top Three Teams in Division Three make up Division Four A in 2023

∑ Remaining Six Teams in Division Three Make up Division 4B in 2023

Truth hurts

• View Profile
« Reply #36507 on: February 01, 2022, 02:57:50 PM »
What are everyone's views on the proposals? Do you think clubs will accept them or will they have a choice? There is no other proposal on the table.

meatsy86

• View Profile
« Reply #36508 on: February 01, 2022, 03:01:36 PM »
Two options and a CCC Proposal have been received by all clubs.

Truth hurts

• View Profile
« Reply #36509 on: February 01, 2022, 04:16:08 PM »
apologies I have more text now.
What are peoples opinions on the 3 options, it's a tough one