Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

realisticsaff

Quote from: barnish oggie on March 23, 2023, 10:41:39 AM
Quote from: InnocentByStander on March 23, 2023, 10:20:01 AM
When is it time to talk about the standard of refereeing in this county?
It is far below any in Ulster, is it any wonder we don't have a referee at the top senior county level.
Sean Laverty gets the odd sideline or fourth official job, but never the main man.

There should be an independent advisor board to review the performances of our refs.
This pushing of young refs into big matches is a waste of time as they are not ready for it.

I take it you have bought your whistle and are stepping forward to help with this dire situation....

Or hes right and this response is petty

Would ye whist

Without naming names what performances this year have got your goat?

Also young referees are coming through and have left Ulster etc due to being blocked within Antrim by being told they are not good enough for anything above Div 3, young Eastwood went to Aus and gave up on teh reffing over her due to this

InnocentByStander

It is far below any in Ulster, is it any wonder we don't have a referee at the top senior county level.
Sean Laverty gets the odd sideline or fourth official job, but never the main man.

There should be an independent advisor board to review the performances of our refs.
This pushing of young refs into big matches is a waste of time as they are not ready for it.

I take it you have bought your whistle and are stepping forward to help with this dire situation....

Im far too old now to grab the whistle.

But hear me out, becoming a referee in todays game is huge ask, many people shy away due to the abuse they get.
Maybe a board to improve overall performance would quieten down the abuse from the side-lines and make it a much more appealing job to take on.

barnish oggie

Quote from: realisticsaff on March 23, 2023, 10:53:23 AM

Or maybe it is very easy to sit on sidelines and gurn about things as opposed to doing something about it.

Refereeing is a thankless job and fair play to anyone who steps forward and does it.

Maybe they need help rather than finger pointing.

Not saying they should go unchecked and agree with the point about having an advisory board but that last comment was unfair.

How can young referees improve without support and experience?

It is the same in any aspect of life, younger people are going to be less experienced but they need support and guidance to improve not just people saying that they are all useless.

If people have an issue, they don't need to necessarily get out and referee but they could offer assistance in many other ways if they want things to improve.

InnocentByStander

Quote from: barnish oggie on March 23, 2023, 11:12:20 AM
Quote from: realisticsaff on March 23, 2023, 10:53:23 AM

Or maybe it is very easy to sit on sidelines and gurn about things as opposed to doing something about it.

Refereeing is a thankless job and fair play to anyone who steps forward and does it.

Maybe they need help rather than finger pointing.

Not saying they should go unchecked and agree with the point about having an advisory board but that last comment was unfair.

How can young referees improve without support and experience?

It is the same in any aspect of life, younger people are going to be less experienced but they need support and guidance to improve not just people saying that they are all useless.

If people have an issue, they don't need to necessarily get out and referee but they could offer assistance in many other ways if they want things to improve.

Exactly what I'm saying a board to review and advise, no pointing fingers.

Yes exactly but throwing them into the deep end e.g. the senior championship final is not the right way to gain experience.
As a neutral watching that final the young man in the middle was out of his depth, let him gain experience and put them in when they are ready. 

realisticsaff

Quote from: Would ye whist on March 23, 2023, 11:02:15 AM

Also young referees are coming through and have left Ulster etc due to being blocked within Antrim by being told they are not good enough for anything above Div 3, young Eastwood went to Aus and gave up on teh reffing over her due to this

Unfortunately like anything there is a click who always get the big games within our county even though they aren't better than the younger refs which would obvs make them give it up.

Would ye whist

You're in bother when MR2 reads this  :-[

Quote from: realisticsaff on March 23, 2023, 11:38:06 AM

Unfortunately like anything there is a click who always get the big games within our county even though they aren't better than the younger refs which would obvs make them give it up.

realisticsaff

Quote from: Would ye whist on March 23, 2023, 11:48:23 AM
You're in bother when MR2 reads this  :-[

Quote from: realisticsaff on March 23, 2023, 11:38:06 AM

Am I right or wrong? Maybe they want to go constantly with the safe pair of hands but as Barnish says how will we ever know if the younger refs are good enough if they told they arent good enough?

EOC1923

Agree would be good to see some of the younger refs encouraged and pushed on to the forefront. Seems the same faces the last 5-6 years refereeing the bigger games.

Milltown Row2

which young refs are we talking about? brilliant idea and should be encouraged

There are assessors that go to games and review them from a ref's point of view btw
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JimStynes

Got roped into refereeing an u16 girls friendly match last year. Never again. The yapping from the sideline would do your head in.  Longest hour of my life.

Would ye whist

I was speaking to our club ref and he told me he has never received a report from an assessor in Antrim, so what is the point of an assessor if they are not giving constructive feedback? When is the last time you got feedback MR2 (apart from all the sparkling reviews on here  ;))?

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 23, 2023, 01:09:19 PM

There are assessors that go to games and review them from a ref's point of view btw

InnocentByStander

Quote from: Would ye whist on March 23, 2023, 01:34:09 PM
I was speaking to our club ref and he told me he has never received a report from an assessor in Antrim, so what is the point of an assessor if they are not giving constructive feedback? When is the last time you got feedback MR2 (apart from all the sparkling reviews on here  ;))?

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 23, 2023, 01:09:19 PM

By reading what everyone is saying MR2 is a ref i better watch my mouth... :o :o

NatSoSaff

How many times do you go to a county or club game that's being televised, shout about how useless the referee was.....only to go home and watch the game back on the Sunday Game or Sky +, and be like....."eh.....actually". I know I do! It cant be an easy job and I respect anyone who takes it up.

Out of interest, have you experienced every other County's club scene and their match officials in action, or are you just extrapolating?

InnocentByStander

Quote from: NatSoSaff on March 23, 2023, 02:05:01 PM
How many times do you go to a county or club game that's being televised, shout about how useless the referee was.....only to go home and watch the game back on the Sunday Game or Sky +, and be like....."eh.....actually". I know I do! It cant be an easy job and I respect anyone who takes it up.

Out of interest, have you experienced every other County's club scene and their match officials in action, or are you just extrapolating?

Could count in one hand the amount of Derry and Tyrone championship games I missed on one hand this year, i also attended alot of the Armagh Championship.
Hand on heart our own is the best, but the standard of Refeering is much higher elsewhere.