Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delgany

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 06, 2023, 09:52:35 PM
Quote from: ck on March 06, 2023, 09:32:19 PM
The GAA transfer system was designed to allow lads move to clubs where they now live and work.
For 5 Lavey men who live in Lavey to use a Belfast address to transfer to a Belfast club so they can give 2 fingers up to their own club is just wrong in my book.
St.Brigids should not be facilitating the move but of course they'll struggle to see past filling their senior team with 5 county Derry players, and alienating 5+ of their own young players in the process.

It's wrong, it shouldnt be allowed and is bending the rules IMO. Many will disagree I'm sure.

As for those saying 'would you rather see them not play'?
Firstly they'll play with Derry regardless and secondly should this exit route not be available then the rift may have been easier to resolve and clear up.

Btw I'm not in agreement with what's going on, but none of us are in the real know of what's been going on in the background. The players were going to go to a club, not sure if the rules of not being affiliated to a club and playing for your county.

Peter Canavan was registered with Killyclogher Hurling Club at the start of his Tyrone career,due to similiar circumstances !

Milltown Row2

Quote from: delgany on March 06, 2023, 09:57:35 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 06, 2023, 09:52:35 PM
Quote from: ck on March 06, 2023, 09:32:19 PM
The GAA transfer system was designed to allow lads move to clubs where they now live and work.
For 5 Lavey men who live in Lavey to use a Belfast address to transfer to a Belfast club so they can give 2 fingers up to their own club is just wrong in my book.
St.Brigids should not be facilitating the move but of course they'll struggle to see past filling their senior team with 5 county Derry players, and alienating 5+ of their own young players in the process.

It's wrong, it shouldnt be allowed and is bending the rules IMO. Many will disagree I'm sure.

As for those saying 'would you rather see them not play'?
Firstly they'll play with Derry regardless and secondly should this exit route not be available then the rift may have been easier to resolve and clear up.

Btw I'm not in agreement with what's going on, but none of us are in the real know of what's been going on in the background. The players were going to go to a club, not sure if the rules of not being affiliated to a club and playing for your county.

Peter Canavan was registered with Killyclogher Hurling Club at the start of his Tyrone career,due to similiar circumstances !

That rule I'm sure is still in place though not 100% sure
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hoof Hearted

Must be a bad row cause lavey were a serious clannish outfit. Never in a million years I would've thought this could happen
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Spike

No one here should underestimate the egos of those involved here have.   Turned a minor tiff into a complete debacle.  Lavey will go on. St brigids won't be the last club these fellas will be at. 

marty34

Even though they are on county team, none are starters and when they come on, to me anyway, they don't stand out.

Typical modern day county player panellist. Handpassing side to side and passing it back.

Compare to Ethan Doherty etc. who has pace and great ball carrier plus runs at good angles.

I'm sure St. Brigid's have a load of typical modern day footballers so not sure what these lads will add.

jmcgdoire

Quote from: marty34 on March 07, 2023, 07:37:26 AM
Even though they are on county team, none are starters and when they come on, to me anyway, they don't stand out.

Typical modern day county player panellist. Handpassing side to side and passing it back.

Compare to Ethan Doherty etc. who has pace and great ball carrier plus runs at good angles.

I'm sure St. Brigid's have a load of typical modern day footballers so not sure what these lads will add.

Just to clear a few misconceptions here only 4 of them are on the county panel. Altho the other lad is a decent wee player too.

Ive seen all 5 of them play for Lavey and theres no doubt they are all good players (particularly Seamus's two youngest who are supposedly both injured at the minute). Lavey will miss them.

That Derry panel doesnt seem to have a lot of depth so im sure they will continue to get 5-10 minutes here and there but wouldnt be given the trust to try anything out of the ordinary yet. Just lateral handpassing as you say.

Im told that a real issue now is that Henry's oldest boy (and county player) is moving to St Brigids while his next one is staying put in Lavey. Totally understandable and happy to hear that the young lad wants to stay playing with his friends. But makes you wonder why the rest of the boys couldnt work through their issues and do the same. Im sure all parties could swallow their pride and they could resolved their differences

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Spike on March 06, 2023, 11:49:23 PM
No one here should underestimate the egos of those involved here have.   Turned a minor tiff into a complete debacle.  Lavey will go on. St brigids won't be the last club these fellas will be at.

Every club, big or small has ego's, inflated opinions on themselves and what they bring to the club, that is up and down the country. The clubs will always be the focus for the majority. Lavey (from my own limited knowledge) are a well respected dual club and something like this won't define them, if this is a personal rift between players then its very sad to see it as it is.

But by the same token and not taking sides, players should not just give up playing because they can't/won't play for their home club
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JimStynes

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 07, 2023, 10:09:07 AM
Quote from: Spike on March 06, 2023, 11:49:23 PM

Every club, big or small has ego's, inflated opinions on themselves and what they bring to the club, that is up and down the country. The clubs will always be the focus for the majority. Lavey (from my own limited knowledge) are a well respected dual club and something like this won't define them, if this is a personal rift between players then its very sad to see it as it is.

But by the same token and not taking sides, players should not just give up playing because they can't/won't play for their home club

They'll be back to Lavey in a year or 2.

NAG1

Says a lot about the individuals involved in this that it has got to this point.

That a few of the more senior club members couldnt get around a table and thrash this out is very concerning for the whole club.

That being said one/ two families will never be bigger than an individual club in any shape or form. These lads dont realise how short a playing career is an yeah while they might still be playing it can't be anything other than hollow and empty for them.

JimStynes

This is turning into the Lavey Dispute thread.

NAG1

Quote from: JimStynes on March 07, 2023, 10:41:53 AM

The Lavey dispute has spilled over into Antrim now, so probably apt for discussion. Hopefully it doesnt but has serious potential to backfire for St Brigids.

paddyjohn

I don't give a flying f**k about Lavey.

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: JimStynes on March 07, 2023, 10:41:53 AM

And im all here for it lolol.

Have heard my own bits and pieces on it but interesting to follow on here. Im wondering does some Henry boys play the hurling only which is why theyre happy to stay. Only surmising.

Messy

harryR

No harm lads, but the Downey's would make any team stronger. If anyone's club had the opportunity to get two/three county quality players into their team and making them stronger they would take that opportunity all day

NorthAntrim

Are they all dual? Im sure be a welcome boost to st brigids hurling team if they are