Quote from: Angelo on October 01, 2019, 06:02:31 PM
Quote from: Dire Ear on October 01, 2019, 12:20:52 PM
A few obervations,
Munroe won't be playing under Harte
McNulty Clonoe probably wouldn't play county
Canavan is probably a year too young
McShane thrived this year because Stevie ONeill was there
Lee Brennan should be starting

Munroe couldn't make the u20 team this year so he's not a viable option in the immeadiate term.
Dan McNulty has played very little football in recent years and I'm not sure if he's motivated to play or whether his body would be able to withstand it.
Agreed on Canavan, he should see his time out with the u20s. I don't think he has the physique to be making a worthwhile impact at present.
McShane may have picked a lot off O'Neill but it's not as if he was being operated by him on remote control.
I wouldn't have Lee Brennan on a matchday 26 for Tyrone at present, I don't think he offers anything above what the likes of Bradley, McAliskey and McCurry do and at present it's a struggle to get two of them into the starting side.

Tyrone need to be playing 2 forwards upfront next year. I would have mcshane and bradley as they each offer something different. Lee would be a good option of the bench. If he is constant with frees he worth starting as Tyrone have lacked a reliable free taker for years. Still not convinced with mc curry but I appreciate its difficult to impress if you are getting limited game time. Think it was against Cork that he started to impress

Angelo

Quote from: tyrone08 on October 01, 2019, 06:07:37 PM
A few obervations,

Munroe couldn't make the u20 team this year so he's not a viable option in the immeadiate term.
Dan McNulty has played very little football in recent years and I'm not sure if he's motivated to play or whether his body would be able to withstand it.
Agreed on Canavan, he should see his time out with the u20s. I don't think he has the physique to be making a worthwhile impact at present.
McShane may have picked a lot off O'Neill but it's not as if he was being operated by him on remote control.
I wouldn't have Lee Brennan on a matchday 26 for Tyrone at present, I don't think he offers anything above what the likes of Bradley, McAliskey and McCurry do and at present it's a struggle to get two of them into the starting side.

Tyrone need to be playing 2 forwards upfront next year. I would have mcshane and bradley as they each offer something different. Lee would be a good option of the bench. If he is constant with frees he worth starting as Tyrone have lacked a reliable free taker for years. Still not convinced with mc curry but I appreciate its difficult to impress if you are getting limited game time. Think it was against Cork that he started to impress

McCurry had a couple of very good games against Cavan and Kildare in the qualifiers but I thought he was quite poor against Roscommon and Cork. I really like McCurry as a footballer, he has a lovely style about him and is a smashing player, he gets his shots off very quickly and when he has the bit between his teeth he can do serious damage. The problem is he is very much a confidence player and when things aren't going well he hides and the past 4 or so seasons from him have been far more miss than hit. I hope he can get some consistent form and make himself undroppable because Mickey Harte definitely rates him.

McAliskey and Bradley have a little bit of that inconsistency about them too but not to the same degree as McCurry. Apart from his size what goes against Bradley is that he can be a little wasteful in front of the posts but he's an extremely honest player and will work his socks off and never stop looking for the ball even when things aren't going well for him. Skeet is the most powerful of the 3 and like McCurry is a real confidence player, when things are going well he is lethal but a few misses can damage his confidence. I wouldn't accuse him of hiding like McCurry can though.

Brennan for me just seems too lazy, he doesn't put in the same work rate on and off the ball that the other three do. He's great talent but a lot of things he does are far too indulgent. In the semi final he started against Monaghan in 2018 he kicked some amount of stupid shots away when they weren't on and there were far better options on.

I agree we need to be playing someone inside with McShane, personally I think the best option is Donnelly up there with Harte and Bradley operating a little bit behind them. I think we need to make more of an effort to keep more players pushed up this year and take a little bit of the pressure off McShane.

We need a few more players to step up to the mantle this year, McShane did last year and for that reason I am a little more optiimistic about our chances next year in contrast to this time last year.

Our biggest issue for me is no 6, we have been moving a little more away from a sweeper in the past two seasons and you look at some of the soft goals we've coughed up when teams run through the middle of us, the two goals against Cork, the one Derry got against us, O'Brien's goal, the goal Kildare got, Brennan's goal for Donegal. All carbon copies of each other. Hampsey is probably our best option there but when we play the big teams we will likely need to get him to do a marking job. Guys like Burns and McKernan consistently get suckered  into the ball and are oblivious to what danger in behind. We've tried a few there in recent years - Burns, Brennan, McGeary, Sludden, McDonnell, Hampsey. I think Brennan has proven with his form that he is great asset to us at corner back, Hampsey will always be swapping about as he is our go to man marker. The rest of those mentioned just don't seem to have the nose for danger to stop us.

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Moonshine

Quote from: Angelo on October 01, 2019, 07:05:21 PM
A few obervations,

McCurry had a couple of very good games against Cavan and Kildare in the qualifiers but I thought he was quite poor against Roscommon and Cork. I really like McCurry as a footballer, he has a lovely style about him and is a smashing player, he gets his shots off very quickly and when he has the bit between his teeth he can do serious damage. The problem is he is very much a confidence player and when things aren't going well he hides and the past 4 or so seasons from him have been far more miss than hit. I hope he can get some consistent form and make himself undroppable because Mickey Harte definitely rates him.

McAliskey and Bradley have a little bit of that inconsistency about them too but not to the same degree as McCurry. Apart from his size what goes against Bradley is that he can be a little wasteful in front of the posts but he's an extremely honest player and will work his socks off and never stop looking for the ball even when things aren't going well for him. Skeet is the most powerful of the 3 and like McCurry is a real confidence player, when things are going well he is lethal but a few misses can damage his confidence. I wouldn't accuse him of hiding like McCurry can though.

Brennan for me just seems too lazy, he doesn't put in the same work rate on and off the ball that the other three do. He's great talent but a lot of things he does are far too indulgent. In the semi final he started against Monaghan in 2018 he kicked some amount of stupid shots away when they weren't on and there were far better options on.

I agree we need to be playing someone inside with McShane, personally I think the best option is Donnelly up there with Harte and Bradley operating a little bit behind them. I think we need to make more of an effort to keep more players pushed up this year and take a little bit of the pressure off McShane.

We need a few more players to step up to the mantle this year, McShane did last year and for that reason I am a little more optiimistic about our chances next year in contrast to this time last year.

Our biggest issue for me is no 6, we have been moving a little more away from a sweeper in the past two seasons and you look at some of the soft goals we've coughed up when teams run through the middle of us, the two goals against Cork, the one Derry got against us, O'Brien's goal, the goal Kildare got, Brennan's goal for Donegal. All carbon copies of each other. Hampsey is probably our best option there but when we play the big teams we will likely need to get him to do a marking job. Guys like Burns and McKernan consistently get suckered  into the ball and are oblivious to what danger in behind. We've tried a few there in recent years - Burns, Brennan, McGeary, Sludden, McDonnell, Hampsey. I think Brennan has proven with his form that he is great asset to us at corner back, Hampsey will always be swapping about as he is our go to man marker. The rest of those mentioned just don't seem to have the nose for danger to stop us.

Imo a complete clear out in that panel is needed going by recent club championship games certain lads deserve a chance and are every bit as good as lads on that squad.
Time for conal mc cann, brendan burns, mc hugh, mc donnell,  mc Laughlin, maybe even tiarnan mc cann awful season at club and county to go and freshen up again at club level.

Give Ryan Gray, niall kelly, Kilpatrick from pomeroy, dan mc nulty, conor quinn galbally. Also get bradley back in their.

Leave canavan and Grimes with 20s until their championship is over.

Angelo

Quote from: Moonshine on October 02, 2019, 07:22:00 AM
A few obervations,

Imo a complete clear out in that panel is needed going by recent club championship games certain lads deserve a chance and are every bit as good as lads on that squad.
Time for conal mc cann, brendan burns, mc hugh, mc donnell,  mc Laughlin, maybe even tiarnan mc cann awful season at club and county to go and freshen up again at club level.

Give Ryan Gray, niall kelly, Kilpatrick from pomeroy, dan mc nulty, conor quinn galbally. Also get bradley back in their.

I'd agree on an overhaul. I think it's a bit soon to be chasing the likes of McDonnell and McLaughlin though. The others probably aren't really going to make it at this stage. T McCann really needs to up his game to get back near a starting shirt but he had a bad year with injuries so I'd cut him some slack.

I'd be looking at cutting 6 or 7 players from the squad before the McKenna Cup starts and there'd be a few more needing to convince in that in order to stay on. I think we have a core 20 or so players right now that are safe, after that everyone is expendable and there's a lot of guys making good claims outside the panel.

Think Grimes is overage for u20s next year and looks like he is physically ready for the step up so I'd expect him to get a call during the winter months.

W.A.G. Lover

I see on Twitter last night a club player giving off about 2 club games been changed to accommodate a Club Tyrone Fundraising event involving McShane and McNamee. Assuming by the tweet the clubs involved did not agree to this. Absolute disregard for the club player further highlighted. 

trueblue1234

Quote from: Angelo on October 02, 2019, 07:47:15 AM
A few obervations,

I'd agree on an overhaul. I think it's a bit soon to be chasing the likes of McDonnell and McLaughlin though. The others probably aren't really going to make it at this stage. T McCann really needs to up his game to get back near a starting shirt but he had a bad year with injuries so I'd cut him some slack.

I'd be looking at cutting 6 or 7 players from the squad before the McKenna Cup starts and there'd be a few more needing to convince in that in order to stay on. I think we have a core 20 or so players right now that are safe, after that everyone is expendable and there's a lot of guys making good claims outside the panel.

Think Grimes is overage for u20s next year and looks like he is physically ready for the step up so I'd expect him to get a call during the winter months.

The reality is that you are changing squad layers for what will most likely be other squad players. No problem with giving they guys a chance but I have my doubts that anyone mentioned would make an impact on the starting 15. It's swapping like for like imo. I don't think there's anyone that would, stand out, improve the first 15 unfortunately. I agree maybe a change of some of the older squad players for newer options should be looked at to give them the chance to develop into better players but the reality is that we would be looking for a step up in some of the first 15-18 players from this year to impact the team.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

redhandofgod

Quote from: W.A.G. Lover on October 02, 2019, 08:45:45 AM
I see on Twitter last night a club player giving off about 2 club games been changed to accommodate a Club Tyrone Fundraising event involving McShane and McNamee. Assuming by the tweet the clubs involved did not agree to this. Absolute disregard for the club player further highlighted.

Exact same situation as last year, County board had to change all div 1 games because McGeary and Burns were at a Club Tyrone event in New York.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: redhandofgod on October 02, 2019, 09:24:19 AM
Quote from: W.A.G. Lover on October 02, 2019, 08:45:45 AM

Exact same situation as last year, County board had to change all div 1 games because McGeary and Burns were at a Club Tyrone event in New York.

I wouldn't say had to.
'chose to'

Pretty much sums up the way clubs and club players are treated throughout the year.
3 league games left and still no idea when they will be played or when the season will be brought to a conclusion
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Pearse Blue

Not a McCurry fan by any stretch but the man proved in the Championship that when he is allowed to play up the field and not waste energy and speed defending (which he's not great at) he is a very dangerous player up front. Id have McCurry over Bradley or Brennan any day of the week if he is able to stay inside/close to the goals.. or even inside the oppositions have.

Don't understand why we don't work to our players strengths

The_Slug

A few obervations,

I would agree with two of these call ups. Bradley and maybe Gray back in

The_Slug

Quote from: topofthesoil on October 02, 2019, 11:09:06 AM
Quote from: Pearse Blue on October 02, 2019, 10:54:55 AM
Not a McCurry fan by any stretch but the man proved in the Championship that when he is allowed to play up the field and not waste energy and speed defending (which he's not great at) he is a very dangerous player up front. Id have McCurry over Bradley or Brennan any day of the week if he is able to stay inside/close to the goals.. or even inside the oppositions have.

that would be too easy, dont kid yourself.
Mattie Donnelly unmarkable close to the sticks, keep him up there is my opinion

I think when we are struggling to get ball inside or struggling to make it stick, he should definitely be put into the inside line. but if the lads inside are doing damage, he can be left out around the middle and be a further benefit out the pitch with his running game, passing and vision. So I would say his position should be based on the situation we are in at the time, if you get what i mean, hes an incredibly versatile player. Not sure if many would agree with his position being 'situational' as opposed to playing a standard position all game, as it can be difficult for management to prepare for.

Donnelly unmarkable in the club scene, joy to watch.

TimmyTrumpet

Jim McGuinness rumoured in be linked with Tyrone management set up this year. Does it hold any water i wonder?

Degrassi Hi

Quote from: TimmyTrumpet on October 02, 2019, 11:19:41 AM
Jim McGuinness rumoured in be linked with Tyrone management set up this year. Does it hold any water i wonder?

Maybe the year after next (2021) alongside Canavan when Mickey's term finally runs out

bigpackiechestout

What do we think the view of Harte is inside the panel? We've seen quite a few counties in recent years (Mayo and Fermanagh for example) make serious moves to oust managers that they weren't happy with. If you look through that Tyrone panel there are quite a few lads now at the peak of their careers (Mattie, Morgan, McNamee, Petey Harte), if these lads had reservations about Harte then surely they would make this known and either try to force change or have him replaced (obviously Petey is excused from this), rather than waste the best years of their careers playing for a manager they have no faith in.

This might not be great for those concerned from a PR perspective, especially if it backfired and the team performed poorly the next year, but if they felt it was necessary then I'm sure they would take action. Does the fact that they haven't indicate that the players are content with the management set up?

Angelo

Quote from: Pearse Blue on October 02, 2019, 10:54:55 AM

McCurry lacks the physicality inside at county level. He's a lovely footballer but he's very guilty of letting his head drop and going hiding and when you're playing inside you need to have that mental toughness to keep showing and trying to impact the game.