East Belfast GAA

Started by nearlymad, June 02, 2020, 12:53:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Quote from: Mourne Red on June 15, 2020, 09:03:19 AM
2 incidents against the GAA over the weekend.. "Anti-British GAA Not Welcome" banner put up on gates into a council park and club in Antrim arson attacked over the weekend

And a couple of posters think we should extend a welcoming hand to these people.. baffles me

Interestingly, a couple of weeks ago I saw a couple and their young son out practicing with their hurls. This was at the upper end of the Grove playing fields, near the Orange Hall, which is probably the safer end. It's also close to Alexander Park which still has a dividing wall for protestants and catholics.

Must be a fenian doing content management - the pitches are described as soccer pitches, arf arf.

http://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/leisure/outdoorleisurefacilities/Sports-facilities/SportsRecreationFacility-6988.aspx
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

general_lee

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 15, 2020, 09:29:48 AM
Any positive publicity this club has got for the GAA clearly rubbed up a few people the wrong way. Aldergrove seemed to get the treatment yesterday / last night. A few clubs in antrim (probably in a few counties) have got this from time to time >:(
Has it been confirmed sectarian? Crumlin has a fair amount of scumbags and it wouldn't be the first time the club has suffered vandalism recently

nearlymad

Got word today from a friend who is joining up with East Belfast GAA,they have been accepted as an Official Down Club.The 48th.Best of luck to all concerned.
    I have a vested interest in that I would hope now to bring my children there in the future (too young at the minute)instead of across town and County border to my Club where I am still involved but not to the extent as I was when playing.

redhandefender

It should not be a case of "if we do this, will they do this anyway"

If we want to take steps towards a new united Ireland in the future we have to bring the unionist community along and start to break down the mistrust and barriers. We should lead by example and take the first steps. Whatever your views the tricolour and anthem will be intimidating and unwelcoming to most of the unionist community who don't full understand it. I think it would be a great step for clubs in the north.

Obviously the floodgates won't open and bring a stampede of unionists to play gaelic but it will slowly start to build and bring them on board. I understand however people want to keep it as is and that is just my own view!

nearlymad

Quote from: redhandefender on June 18, 2020, 01:48:37 PM
It should not be a case of "if we do this, will they do this anyway"

If we want to take steps towards a new united Ireland in the future we have to bring the unionist community along and start to break down the mistrust and barriers. We should lead by example and take the first steps. Whatever your views the tricolour and anthem will be intimidating and unwelcoming to most of the unionist community who don't full understand it. I think it would be a great step for clubs in the north.

Obviously the floodgates won't open and bring a stampede of unionists to play gaelic but it will slowly start to build and bring them on board. I understand however people want to keep it as is and that is just my own view!
Can you move this chat to non-GAA please and give this new entity a chance to get up and running without all this?

Rossfan

Has the Club an official name?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: Rossfan on June 18, 2020, 03:46:41 PM
Has the Club an official name?

Ruari Mac giolla Ruaidh CLG

Rossfan

Hasn't he to be dead first?
Isn't there a club in Holywood already though?

Square Ball

Quote from: Rossfan on June 18, 2020, 07:47:48 PM
Hasn't he to be dead first?
Isn't there a club in Holywood already though?

There is indeed, St Pauls
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Walter Cronc

My penny's worth would be I don't need the Irish flag or anthem to reassert my irishness. There's so much more to being Irish than the green, white and orange. Fully in favour of the anthem before finals etc but every championship game, not overly bothered. It's a bit like when tricolours go up around Easter. I always think what's the point. You are only acting like them (who are obsessed by a flag). We can do better than that. Each GAA club should be entitled to run their club as they see fit (within reason). If that means East Belfast GAA is fully cross community with no flag then fine.

BennyCake

Quote from: Walter Cronc on June 19, 2020, 07:58:15 AM
My penny's worth would be I don't need the Irish flag or anthem to reassert my irishness. There's so much more to being Irish than the green, white and orange. Fully in favour of the anthem before finals etc but every championship game, not overly bothered. It's a bit like when tricolours go up around Easter. I always think what's the point. You are only acting like them (who are obsessed by a flag). We can do better than that. Each GAA club should be entitled to run their club as they see fit (within reason). If that means East Belfast GAA is fully cross community with no flag then fine.

+1

Near us, there's an NHS flag in the middle of the village since the pandemic hit. A nice touch, and makes a change from seeing a tattered tri colour flying.

There's no need for the tri colour flying in the middle of a village or at the GAA grounds. I'd prefer to see the GAA flag along with the local team colours at the pitch.

general_lee

Quote from: Walter Cronc on June 19, 2020, 07:58:15 AM
I'd echo those sentiments

Rossfan

Careful!!
Snapchap will be after ye with both barrels

Or us it just "Free Staters" (sic) that arent allowed to have opinions?

Tyrdub

Seen something on Twitter about 40-50 guys "protesting" at the Grove Playing Fields over people playing GAA there. It seems they were playing soccer wearing GAA tops.

Knuckle draggers but unfortunately they will win here

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: Tyrdub on June 19, 2020, 11:18:46 AM
Seen something on Twitter about 40-50 guys "protesting" at the Grove Playing Fields over people playing GAA there. It seems they were playing soccer wearing GAA tops.

Knuckle draggers but unfortunately they will win here

Tis the season.