Started by tonto1888, December 14, 2020, 07:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inroundthesquare

Quote from: J70 on June 01, 2021, 05:53:14 PM
Quote from: StephenC on May 31, 2021, 02:50:24 PM
Quote from: Hound on May 31, 2021, 02:15:57 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on May 31, 2021, 01:28:23 PM
Quote from: Hound on May 31, 2021, 01:13:29 PM
Dubs v Donegal to be played at neutral venue.

Wonder why that is
Both teams (technically) had just one home game so far. Therefore, it's a coin toss, unless both teams agree they'd prefer a neutral venue rather than risk losing the toss.

Makes sense in this case I think. Although Donegal won't be too happy when the GAA announce Croke Park as the neutral venue  :P  :P   :P   ;)

Our U21's would enjoy the day out I'm sure.

Yeah, I can't see Bonner risking too many first choice players for this, with nothing to play for, Down the following week, and a few injuries already to deal with.

There's no way the likes of McBrearty should be risked, with Murphy, Brennan and Gallen already missing games. Stephen McMenamin is just back, and with McGee and McGrath out, you can't be risking him either. And whoever does play, they can't be going full steam into contact.

On the other hand, how much of a drubbing is acceptable?

Maybe the Dubs will have mercy and play keep-ball once they get about 9-10 points ahead.

2 weeks to the Down game for Donegal but yeah hard to see them going full tilt vs the Dubs

straightred

Quote from: UpMeeyo on May 31, 2021, 10:04:57 PM
Quote from: Main Street on May 31, 2021, 02:40:01 PM
Quote from: Rudi on May 31, 2021, 01:50:53 PM
Monaghan originally had 1 game to be played at home, Galway had 2. Monaghan therefore should be drawn to play at home, has nothing to do with Monaghan flouting the Covid training rules.
Amazing (or not) how that bit of rationale has escaped most people.
Joyce was talking through his hole.

It would seem an amazing coincidence to me that the 4 teams who broke covid regulations Monaghan/Down/Cork/Dublin were all randomly selected to only have 1 home game. If it had been fixed where any of these teams had a second home game in the group stages there'd have been uproar about that too. Its just extremely poor planning. should have been 1 home 1 away 1 neutral in group and home advantage to 1st v 2nd in semis/relegation
Regardless of how they got there with respect to the rules (stupid and all as they were) Main Street is spot on - Joyce was talking through his hole and how come the so called TV experts didn't pull him up on it. Using the exact same (Joyce) logic Dublin weren't even entitled to a neutral venue and Donegal didn't complain about that (and god knows it is unusual for Donegal not to have a moan about Dublin)

SouthDublinBro

Monaghan boys love to attack the idea of Croke Park as a neutral venue but they've been getting home advantage in Ulster finals for the longest time. It's one rule for them and another for Dublin.

J70

Quote from: straightred on June 01, 2021, 09:44:28 PM
Monaghan originally had 1 game to be played at home, Galway had 2. Monaghan therefore should be drawn to play at home, has nothing to do with Monaghan flouting the Covid training rules.

It would seem an amazing coincidence to me that the 4 teams who broke covid regulations Monaghan/Down/Cork/Dublin were all randomly selected to only have 1 home game. If it had been fixed where any of these teams had a second home game in the group stages there'd have been uproar about that too. Its just extremely poor planning. should have been 1 home 1 away 1 neutral in group and home advantage to 1st v 2nd in semis/relegation
Regardless of how they got there with respect to the rules (stupid and all as they were) Main Street is spot on - Joyce was talking through his hole and how come the so called TV experts didn't pull him up on it. Using the exact same (Joyce) logic Dublin weren't even entitled to a neutral venue and Donegal didn't complain about that (and god knows it is unusual for Donegal not to have a moan about Dublin)

That "moaning" and the congressional proposal about the Super 8 venues a couple of years back was absolutely justified.

J70

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on June 02, 2021, 01:14:47 PM
Monaghan boys love to attack the idea of Croke Park as a neutral venue but they've been getting home advantage in Ulster finals for the longest time. It's one rule for them and another for Dublin.

And what about the games other than a provincial final?

Why don't you throw up some stats there on how often Monaghan and the Dubs have played away from Clones and Croke Park, respectively, in the Championship over the past two decades?

macker15

You have some horn for Monaghan 🤣🤣

Armagh18

shur it's not too often them Monaghan boys get to an Ulster final.

straightred

Quote from: J70 on June 02, 2021, 02:07:53 PM
Quote from: straightred on June 01, 2021, 09:44:28 PM

That "moaning" and the congressional proposal about the Super 8 venues a couple of years back was absolutely justified.
Agree completely. My point was if there was something to complain about they would have.

Blowitupref

Semi finals
Dublin 1/3 Donegal 7/2
Kerry 4/11 Tyrone 3/1

Relegation play offs

Armagh 4/7 Roscommon 7/4
Monaghan evens Galway evens
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

twohands!!!

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 02, 2021, 06:36:14 PM
Semi finals
Dublin 1/3 Donegal 7/2
Kerry 4/11 Tyrone 3/1

Relegation play offs

Armagh 4/7 Roscommon 7/4
Monaghan evens Galway evens

For the semi-finals I would wait until teams are on the pitch, because both Donegal and Kerry have championship games two weeks after.
Dublin have a gap of 3 weeks while Tyrone have a gap of 4 weeks so I could definitely see Donegal and Kerry both resting players/not risking players with any sort of a niggle.
Tyrone might be worth a punt as the new management might value getting to a league final v Dublin or the reward of a league title if Donegal win and having a month until their championship game.

I'd expect close to full strength teams for the relegation games as all 4 would really want to avoid dropping to Division 2 if possible.

Rossfan

Keeping D1 status is a major plus.
Getting 7 games (hopefully) against top opposition can bring a team on a lot.
Our lads have 3 weeks between the Play off and Galway so it will be what AC considers our best team v Armagh.
Not sure why they are such favourites... we bet them last October in the Gaelic Grounds.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Blowitupref

Quote from: Rossfan on June 02, 2021, 08:15:58 PM
Our lads have 3 weeks between the Play offs and Galway so it will be what AC considers our best team v Armagh.
Not sure why they are such favourites... we bet them last October in the Gaelic Grounds.

Armagh losing 1 of their 3 group games and Roscommon losing all 3 games would be one of the reasons. I'd expect these relegation play offs to be as close to championship pace and intensity as it gets and should give a very good idea to where the 4 teams really are before the championship.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Hound

I wonder will they have winners medals and 2 versions of the cup at the games for the winning teams, in the event it's not a Dublin v Tyrone final?

Would go down in the record books as an NFL joint winners, not to be sneezed at.

Main Street

Quote from: Hound on June 02, 2021, 10:14:32 PM
I wonder will they have winners medals and 2 versions of the cup at the games for the winning teams, in the event it's not a Dublin v Tyrone final?

Would go down in the record books as an NFL joint winners, not to be sneezed at.
A hand from each captain holding the cup aloft and a joint chorus from both teams  of 'Championes, Championes, Ole Ole Ole'

tonto1888

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 02, 2021, 08:52:25 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 02, 2021, 08:15:58 PM
Our lads have 3 weeks between the Play offs and Galway so it will be what AC considers our best team v Armagh.

Armagh losing 1 of their 3 group games and Roscommon losing all 3 games would be one of the reasons. I'd expect these relegation play offs to be as close to championship pace and intensity as it gets and should give a very good idea to where the 4 teams really are before the championship.

To be fair to Roscommon, if we were in their group and they in ours, results would well have been different. The favourites tag does not sit comfortably with me