extortion

Started by illdecide, March 22, 2024, 09:55:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

What are your thoughts on the way we are charged for things now...?. I believe majority of Companies are charging what they like and are allowed to get away with it.
Insurance - Doubled and trebled for younger ones, simply telephone numbers.
Infrastructure - Schemes have doubled and trebled in price yet wages and materials have went up prob 10%.
Fuel/Electricity - They can basically charge what they feel like, apparently oil is cheaper now than it was 3-4 years ago.

Feel free to add to the list as there are just too many to list here on my own, i'd be typing all day but how are they allowed to get away with this, is there mo regulatory Authorities monitoring these and Governments not stepping in?. I can guarantee you if we had a recession like we had in 2008-2010 and you offered Contractors a large scheme for a fraction of the price they'd be able to do it. Total rip off and everyone is jumping on board with it because they can
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Emmett Greene

Broadband - +£3.50 or whatever every April no matter what.

Amazon Prime - pay for no ads on a service you're already paying for. Pure gaslighting.

Truth hurts

Beer companies, kegs put up every year, twice sometimes

clarshack

Quote from: illdecide on March 22, 2024, 09:55:29 AMWhat are your thoughts on the way we are charged for things now...?. I believe majority of Companies are charging what they like and are allowed to get away with it.
Infrastructure - Schemes have doubled and trebled in price yet wages and materials have went up prob 10%.
Fuel/Electricity - They can basically charge what they feel like, apparently oil is cheaper now than it was 3-4 years ago.

Feel free to add to the list as there are just too many to list here on my own, i'd be typing all day but how are they allowed to get away with this, is there mo regulatory Authorities monitoring these and Governments not stepping in?. I can guarantee you if we had a recession like we had in 2008-2010 and you offered Contractors a large scheme for a fraction of the price they'd be able to do it. Total rip off and everyone is jumping on board with it because they can

As long as Man Utd and Liverpool are on the Tv keeping the masses entertained stuff like this is irrelevant!

In all seriousness though Rates is another one, seems to go up by 7-8% each year for reduced services.

RedHand88

Quote from: clarshack on March 22, 2024, 10:05:51 AM
Quote from: illdecide on March 22, 2024, 09:55:29 AMWhat are your thoughts on the way we are charged for things now...?. I believe majority of Companies are charging what they like and are allowed to get away with it.

As long as Man Utd and Liverpool are on the Tv keeping the masses entertained stuff like this is irrelevant!

In all seriousness though Rates is another one, seems to go up by 7-8% each year for reduced services.

Just a note on rates, the council workers got a big pay bump last year with backpay/bonus(?) after they went on strike. How else did you think it would be funded?

clarshack

Quote from: RedHand88 on March 22, 2024, 10:10:52 AMJust a note on rates, the council workers got a big pay bump last year with backpay/bonus(?) after they went on strike. How else did you think it would be funded?

Yeah, knew at the time the Ratepayer was going to have to take the hit on that. It was a a massive victory for some local councillors though IIRC.

https://www.unitetheunion.org/news-events/news/2024/january/mid-ulster-district-council-leisure-workers-to-continue-all-out-strike-for-improved-coaching-payments

They were still striking outside Cookstown the other day.

general_lee

It's a pisstake - car insurance is a scam at this stage - my premium almost trebled for no reason.

BT saying they're putting the price up next month.

Grocery shopping another one - everything is up (but in smaller packaging) and is it just me or are the use by dates getting shorter? Tesco is a rip off nowadays.

imtommygunn

Yep we're getting robbed blind these days. Look at how much tickets for concerts are etc too and then there are ones who know finance better than me who question why the interest rates are what they are.

Private companies are just getting very rich while the rest of us take the consequences. The profits out of oil and gas companies is ludicrous.

We're being had every road and direction tbh and buck all we can do about it.

RedHand88

Quote from: clarshack on March 22, 2024, 10:33:28 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on March 22, 2024, 10:10:52 AMJust a note on rates, the council workers got a big pay bump last year with backpay/bonus(?) after they went on strike. How else did you think it would be funded?

Yeah, knew at the time the Ratepayer was going to have to take the hit on that. It was a a massive victory for some local councillors though IIRC.

https://www.unitetheunion.org/news-events/news/2024/january/mid-ulster-district-council-leisure-workers-to-continue-all-out-strike-for-improved-coaching-payments

They were still striking outside Cookstown the other day.

I was chastised for not backing the strikes at the time by people who are now gurning about their rates bill.

armaghniac

My car insurance is as cheap as it has been for 30 years.
However, having examined the price of hotels in Cork over the weekend they do come as a shock. The one I posted on Orchardfans at €10,000 was probably a mistake, but the ones at €300-€400 are not.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

marty34

I think if we were in France, people would be out blocking the roads.

Here, we're more passive nowadays I think.

RedHand88

Still not as bad as the 70s where food/ drink tripled in a decade mind you. Then again houses were alot cheaper.

imtommygunn

Yeah hotel prices are ludicrous too. Absolute rip off.

RedHand88

Airbnb is the way forward if you are going on holiday for the purposes of the destination itself and not going for the luxury spa/relaxation thing.

imtommygunn

Yeah that is my goto now. It's not getting any cheaper either mind you but manageable.