Mayo V Monaghan Qualifier

Started by joemamas, May 23, 2022, 03:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

No Mayo generally speaking are better though remains to be seen if that is the case this year. Monaghan used to be greater than the sum of their parts but against Derry I thought their tactics were very wrong and they were worse than the sum of their parts.

Dreadnought

Quote from: rosnarun on May 25, 2022, 12:35:30 PM
most people seem to consider mayo and Monaghan as being similar teams over the last decade or so but the stats just dont back that up Monaghan have not reaced even an allIreland  semi and just a couple of ulsters .

I'd usually be the first to try get the boot into Monaghan, but I'll point out that they reached an AI semi in 2018. I would say though that those Ulsters are well in the past now. 7 seasons have passed since they won it.

clarshack

Quote from: seafoid on May 25, 2022, 07:02:33 AM
It's all about timing. Monaghan don't have the luxury of time with a good team. In the Nudie era they couldn't get past Kerry. The 2013 team came up against financially doped Dublin. Last year might have been a chance another time  but it was too late. Would Monaghan at their peak have beaten Mayo in that final ?

Monaghan couldn't get past Tyrone in Croke Park never mind Dublin.

greatpoint

most people seem to consider mayo and Monaghan as being similar teams over the last decade or so but the stats just dont back that up Monaghan have not reaced even an allIreland  semi and just a couple of ulsters .
in that time at the business end mayo have beaten Dublin Tyrone Donegal kerry  Galway Roscommon (and Tipp) and while of course not winning finals bring  Dublin in their prime to a replay.
Monaghan havea long way to go to match that , and while as i explained before this is probably their best chance to beat mayo i dont see them improving on that record this year

Both have overachieved while regularly falling short when it mattered?

Main Street

in that time at the business end mayo have beaten Dublin Tyrone Donegal kerry  Galway Roscommon (and Tipp) and while of course not winning finals bring  Dublin in their prime to a replay.
Monaghan havea long way to go to match that , and while as i explained before this is probably their best chance to beat mayo i dont see them improving on that record this year
In all likelihood most people don't have that opinion.

Maroon Manc

Name one on here?

Captain Obvious

Not sure how you have come to that conclusion.

Monaghan a county of a population of a little over 60,000 overachieved to win 2 Ulster's in three years. Overachieved to top their super 8 group in 2018 that included Galway, Kerry and have overachieved by staying up in Division 1 for 8th consecutive years. If Monaghan win this game and reach the last 8 before making their exit it will be considered a good year. If Mayo win and don't at least reach the All-Ireland semi final it will be considered a poor year.

rosnarun

on this page alone  Wildweasel74, greatpoint and seafoid , all venerable posters, seem to be of that belief .

Greatpoint says both fallen short when it matters as though there was some kind of Equality in not qualifying for Semi-finals and  Just failing to win Finals  but they are more inclined to lose  long before 'It matters' compared to mayo.
Monaghan have some wonderful players like Mccarron Mcmanus the hughes's and the player may may have most to fear from is Yong Mohan . they hate that bullocking type of player like Comer or michael murphy 

If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

rosnarun

Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 25, 2022, 03:38:56 PM

Monaghan a county of a population of a little over 60,000 overachieved to win 2 Ulster's in three years. Overachieved to top their super 8 group in 2018 that included Galway, Kerry and have overachieved by staying up in Division 1 for 8th consecutive years. If Monaghan win this game and reach the last 8 before making their exit it will be considered a good year. If Mayo win and don't at least reach the All-Ireland semi final it will be considered a poor year.
what do you mean overachieved?  they have been hanging  around the top table for a long time now any success they gt is well due but so far they have failed to take the next step into being genuine challangers .
the result against Mayo will not change that

Captain Obvious

Quote from: rosnarun on May 25, 2022, 03:48:22 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 25, 2022, 03:38:56 PM

what do you mean overachieved?  they have been hanging  around the top table for a long time now any success they gt is well due but so far they have failed to take the next step into being genuine challangers .
the result against Mayo will not change that

Size and sources of Monaghan few including many of their own expected Monaghan to achieve what they have done over the last decade. It has been no failure when the All-Ireland semi final they reached in 2018 was probably their ceiling.

Main Street

In the inner sanctum of the county there exists the belief that we have often underachieved. that we should have had more success. Div 1 status is definitely good but mainly as a platform to do well in the championship.

Wildweasel74

I just said Monaghan have better forwards than Mayo, they have, hence I think they win nxt weekend. Where Monaghan of yrs gone by on par with Mayo. No, Mayo played in multi All-Ireland finals and were the only team fit to match up to Dublin, with 2 better fowards they won a couple of All-Irelands. Def should had one, for a scorable free not called against J Small late on in one final which ended in a draw.

rosnarun

With you on that . any close game like that always have a few crucial moment be a bad refeeree decision or an injury or Outrageous fortune on one side or the other
but you just have to accept that.
I can accept a team overachieved if they are one hit wonders not to be seeing at near that level again like Down 2010 or tipp twice in recent time but when you knocking about for 10-12 years i could not accept that as an excuse .

imtommygunn

O'rourke was a fantastic manager. I don't think Banty is that same level. He is cute but I don't think he has it tactically to beat the big teams when it counts.

seafoid

Mayo will run all day. A pity neither team managed to win Sam.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU