FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022

Started by laoislad, April 01, 2022, 06:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrone08

Quote from: AustinPowers on December 10, 2022, 10:40:38 PM
I thought England were deliberately diving to  win frees and penalties.  That saka penalty was no foul.  Kane and saka diving all  over the shop. 

England cried about not getting a penalty then Henderson shoved giroud in the area and the commentators didn't even  acknowledge it. A clear penalty. Then Mbappe was blatantly shoved near the corner flag  at the end and no foul. England went straight up and might  have equalised from the rashford free  kick

No love for England but those 2 penalties were as clear as day to say other wise is just silly. On was a trip and the other was a clear shoulder in the back off the ball.

seafoid

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/63932074Saka and Declan Rice were truly outstanding and while Bellingham and Phil Foden were not as influential as in previous games, especially against Senegal, this quartet will be an integral part of England's long-term future.

Capt Pat

In relation to the first penalty England didn't get from VAR for the alleged trip on Harry Kane. Could VAR have given a free kick for the foul being outside the area? Or is it a penalty or nothing and VAR decided it wasn't a foul?

lenny

Quote from: Captain Obvious on December 11, 2022, 12:26:59 AM
It's a squad of English players that should be challenging for major honours. France played one of their worst matches in this World cup and won.

Southgate doesn't know how to utilize the attacking talent he has at his disposal. his approach is just too mundane and has zero tactical flexibility in him.

They obviously have some really good young players now but players like pickford, shaw and maguire wouldn't even be close to getting selected for the other big teams. Walker was brilliant at right back and is in the running for a world cup allstar with his main competition being juranovic of celtic who was man of the match v brazil.

Main Street

Quote from: Capt Pat on December 10, 2022, 10:26:41 PM
France were good when they needed to be but sat back too much when they went ahead. Brazil were caught out when they became negative after taking the lead against Croatia. Kane let France off the hook.
I was sure France were throwing the game away when they sat back and let England boss them for a large part of the game. But France responded well after England equalised, got into their stride, demonstrated they were better team, wanted it more and were rewarded. Had it gone to ET  I think France would have had their number.

RedHand88

Quote from: Capt Pat on December 11, 2022, 08:14:46 AM
In relation to the first penalty England didn't get from VAR for the alleged trip on Harry Kane. Could VAR have given a free kick for the foul being outside the area? Or is it a penalty or nothing and VAR decided it wasn't a foul?

It was definitely in the box but VAR said no foul.

seafoid

Quote from: Captain Obvious on December 11, 2022, 01:22:00 AM
Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on December 11, 2022, 01:11:19 AM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on December 11, 2022, 12:26:59 AM
It's a squad of English players that should be challenging for major honours. France played one of their worst matches in this World cup and won.

Southgate doesn't know how to utilize the attacking talent he has at his disposal. his approach is just too mundane and has zero tactical flexibility in him.

Wc 2018 semi
Euros 2021 final
Wc 2022 quarters. Bate by current world champs.
That is challenging imo

That's my point challenging to be expected with their group of players and would have won at least one of those last three major tournaments with a more tactically astute manager.
As a Galway hurling fan I have a lot of experience with this sort of thing. A team that loses a big match is an incomplete team, even if it only loses by a goal. In order to win , at whatever level, some personnel changes are required. Management changes may also be needed. We won't be seeing some of those England players again.

seafoid

Quote from: Main Street on December 11, 2022, 08:57:47 AM
Quote from: Capt Pat on December 10, 2022, 10:26:41 PM
France were good when they needed to be but sat back too much when they went ahead. Brazil were caught out when they became negative after taking the lead against Croatia. Kane let France off the hook.
I was sure France were throwing the game away when they sat back and let England boss them for a large part of the game. But France responded well after England equalised, got into their stride, demonstrated they were better team, wanted it more and were rewarded. Had it gone to ET  I think France would have had their number.
Hard to know. The wind shifted several times in the Argentina- Netherlands match, for example.  At this level nothing is certain.

smelmoth

Quote from: RedHand88 on December 11, 2022, 09:00:32 AM
Quote from: Capt Pat on December 11, 2022, 08:14:46 AM

It was definitely in the box but VAR said no foul.

Where did you see that confirmation?

I haven't seen any confirmation but based on the available angles I think it is more likely that the decided that it definitely was a foul but that it was not clearly and obviously in the penalty area.

smelmoth

smelmoth

Quote from: bennydorano on December 10, 2022, 08:15:56 PM
You're thinking to yourself England aren't that bad- crowd scan and some w**ker sitting in an RAF hat

You must really despise Celtic and Rangers

smelmoth

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on December 10, 2022, 08:18:25 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on December 10, 2022, 08:15:56 PM
You're thinking to yourself England aren't that bad- crowd scan and some w**ker sitting in an RAF hat

A lot of the fans are twats but the players are more likeable than the golden generation except for the 2 cnits rice and grealish

Presumably an unfunny joke that?

Milltown Row2

Never watched it, Xmas do at Europa, just reading the thread like it was live!!

So the Frogs bate the Brits, possibly a showdown with the Argies in the final but hopefully the Croats and the knife wielding Moroccans disrupt the big hitters and make it a entertaining final! 
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 11, 2022, 09:57:18 AM
Never watched it, Xmas do at Europa, just reading the thread like it was live!!

So the Frogs bate the Brits, possibly a showdown with the Argies in the final but hopefully the Croats and the knife wielding Moroccans disrupt the big hitters and make it a entertaining final!
And Dunloy for the hurling