Hurling 2022

Started by Dag Dog, January 17, 2022, 02:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty34

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on July 19, 2022, 03:42:08 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 19, 2022, 12:59:02 PM
Quote from: marty34 on July 19, 2022, 11:00:53 AM
I think Hegarty is playing junior hurling with his club St. Patrick's.

I wonder how many other hurlers play with a junior club in the big counties?

Junior hurling in Limerick is probably not like playing Larne, and that's no disrespect to Larne btw, the level is pretty high I'd say..

Remember watching the junior club final about 12 years ago in Croke, both teams would trouble a few senior club teams in Antrim
Which Antrim senior club would Naomh Colum Cille be troubling?
They would definitely be Div 3 or 4 in Antrim.

Should they not enter the Antrim league Div. 4 to get more games?

Are they in Armagh's league?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Creggan and Coleraine only Ulster teams i mind competing at all ireland junior at level of other provinces . Kk teams have usually come down from intermediate.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on July 19, 2022, 07:03:10 PM
Clooney, Castleblaney & NCC have all made finals. There are others who haven't but weren't out of their depth.

Sort of mind them been well beat , but looked back Castleblayney in particular done really well

marty34

Kilkenny are very strong at senior, intermediate and the junior grades in the All-Ireland series.

They are all evenly balanced, all strong.

A team could come up from intermediate and give the senior club championship a rattle, at worst, they are really competitive.

Other counties are nowhere as evenly structured.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: marty34 on July 19, 2022, 08:53:17 PM
Kilkenny are very strong at senior, intermediate and the junior grades in the All-Ireland series.

A team could come up from intermediate and give the senior club championship a rattle, at worst, they are really competitive.

Is this your own opinion or have you a link or stat to back that up?

Was in Galway few years ago and St Thomas's were not a senior team, funny enough after winning minor championships and gaining senior they won club all Irelands. Sometimes teams come along from lower grades and play well. Sometimes you have an exceptional player who is from a junior grade club who is county standard..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

marty34

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 19, 2022, 10:22:33 PM

Was in Galway few years ago and St Thomas's were not a senior team, funny enough after winning minor championships and gaining senior they won club all Irelands. Sometimes teams come along from lower grades and play well. Sometimes you have an exceptional player who is from a junior grade club who is county standard..

Well, funny you should ask that:

KK clubs have won 10 junior All-Irelands, 7 Intermediate All-Irelands and 6 senior* club All-Irelands.

* only went back to 2005 with the senior clubs.  KK clubs were runners up 4 junior All-Ireland finals and 3 intermediate club finals.

Now, onto my point about their system and how competitive they are.

St. Pat's Ballyragget won a Junior KK club title in 1978 and the next year, 1979, they won a KK Intermediate title.

More recently, in 2013, Clara won a KK Intermediate (2012) and All-Ireland title and in 2013, they got up to senior and won the senior KK club championship. They won it again 2 years later in 2015. Not a bad achievement!

One more example - In 2015, Bennetsbridge won the Junior All-Ireland club title. Later that year, they won the KK Intermediate title on they way to going on to win the All-Ireland club title in early 2016. Again, not bad at all.

As I say, a  well structured  competitive competition.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: marty34 on July 19, 2022, 11:56:54 PM

KK clubs have won 10 junior All-Irelands, 7 Intermediate All-Irelands and 6 senior* club All-Irelands.

* only went back to 2005 with the senior clubs.  KK clubs were runners up 4 junior All-Ireland finals and 3 intermediate club finals.

St. Pat's Ballyragget won a Junior KK club title in 1978 and the next year, 1979, they won a KK Intermediate title.

More recently, in 2013, Clara won a KK Intermediate (2012) and All-Ireland title and in 2013, they got up to senior and won the senior KK club championship. They won it again 2 years later in 2015. Not a bad achievement!

One more example - In 2015, Bennetsbridge won the Junior All-Ireland club title. Later that year, they won the KK Intermediate title on they way to going on to win the All-Ireland club title in early 2016. Again, not bad at all.

I wasn't arguing your point on teams in Kilkenny, your original point was junior clubs having senior county standard players.. it happens, my point was that junior teams from Limerick Waterford (the Benntts team) Kilkenny and so on are of a much higher grade to Antrims junior teams and as such will occasionally produce a top player, and for us to get a player from let's say Ardoyne ( no offence to Ardoyne btw) to be a regular on the Antrim senior hurling is going to be very very rare
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

marty34

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 20, 2022, 08:52:57 AM
Quote from: marty34 on July 19, 2022, 11:56:54 PM

I wasn't arguing your point on teams in Kilkenny, your original point was junior clubs having senior county standard players.. it happens, my point was that junior teams from Limerick Waterford (the Benntts team) Kilkenny and so on are of a much higher grade to Antrims junior teams and as such will occasionally produce a top player, and for us to get a player from let's say Ardoyne ( no offence to Ardoyne btw) to be a regular on the Antrim senior hurling is going to be very very rare

As above, I mentioned how competitive the KK club championship is and how teams can go up from junior to intermediate and from intermediate to senior etc. and be really competitive and do well. You ask was this my opinion or did I have stats to back it up.

I have given you a few stats to prove my point i.e teams going straight up to intermediate and senior, after winning the junior and intermediate the year previous year, and winning them the next year.

My original point was re: G. Hegarty and playing with a junior club in Limerick and was there many junior players playing for the big counties.

Milltown Row2

johnnycool

rumours that Mr Cody of the Village fame is hanging up the Glanbia baseball cap, anyone see anything official on this yet?

marty34

Quote from: johnnycool on July 20, 2022, 12:40:54 PM
rumours that Mr Cody of the Village fame is hanging up the Glanbia baseball cap, anyone see anything official on this yet?

Heard that - vibes from the homecoming.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on July 20, 2022, 12:09:05 PM
Ardoyne are Junior B too.

Stephen Rooney probably the most recent player to claim a regular spot on the county team while playing Junior club hurling.

Playing div2 hurling along with the Glenariffe and Creggan player but yes, I get that

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on July 20, 2022, 02:10:30 PM
Yeah, now they are Div 2 & intermediate but only a couple of years ago they were Div 3 & Junior. He was a county regular then. Maybe even more so than now.

There will always be exceptions to the rule.. GearĂ³id Hegarty is from great stock, his da Ger was a fantastic hurler back in the day but the strangest thing he never played county until under 20 and better known as a footballer, fair fucks to whoever seen his potential as his dad (own words) never seen his hurling ability

imtommygunn

Saw a photo on Twitter yesterday... he was midfield for limerick footballers against Tyrone in the 2015 qualifiers. I didn't actually think he was old enough.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 20, 2022, 06:13:25 PM
Saw a photo on Twitter yesterday... he was midfield for limerick footballers against Tyrone in the 2015 qualifiers. I didn't actually think he was old enough.

His da said he'd make it as a footballer, so he was right on that