Hurling 2022

Started by Dag Dog, January 17, 2022, 02:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Was there ever any point in that game yesterday where anyone thought Kilkenny were going to win? I thought they put up a great fight but never thought it looked like they were going to win.

Ash Smoker

Captain Obvious

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 18, 2022, 02:55:52 PM
Was there ever any point in that game yesterday where anyone thought Kilkenny were going to win? I thought they put up a great fight but never thought it looked like they were going to win.

I'm sure plenty of Kilkenny folks did at 47 minutes when it was Kilkenny 2-19 (25) Limerick  1-22 (25) or on 62 minutes Kilkenny 2-23 (29) Limerick  1-26 (29)

Limerick are 5/6 to win the All-Ireland again next year with the challengers priced at Kilkenny 11/2 Galway 6/1 with Cian Lynch back it will take a brave punter to back against them.

trailer

I thought after the 2nd goal they might. But Limerick dominated the breaks right throughout the game. They were so efficient. I thought the KK long ball didn't work and would have liked to have seen them change tact. The goals kept them in the game. It was a thoroughly ruthless Limerick performance. It was brilliant to watch.

johnnycool

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 18, 2022, 03:15:55 PM

I'm sure plenty of Kilkenny folks did at 47 minutes when it was Kilkenny 2-19 (25) Limerick  1-22 (25) or on 62 minutes Kilkenny 2-23 (29) Limerick  1-26 (29)

Limerick are 5/6 to win the All-Ireland again next year with the challengers priced at Kilkenny 11/2 Galway 6/1 with Cian Lynch back it will take a brave punter to back against them.

When KK drew level both times, Limerick just happened to find the next score or two to open the margin again, many's a lesser team may have panicked, but they didn't and credit to them for that, almost Kilkenny like.

imtommygunn

For me TJ wanting the goal rather than taking the point and Limerick going down and scoring was the nail in the coffin. In hindsight maybe TJ was right though and the only way they were going to win was a risk like that.

Limerick are just business like. All about process etc.

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 18, 2022, 03:43:55 PM
For me TJ wanting the goal rather than taking the point and Limerick going down and scoring was the nail in the coffin. In hindsight maybe TJ was right though and the only way they were going to win was a risk like that.

Limerick are just business like. All about process etc.

Make no mistake about it, Limerick were spooked a bit yesterday, but stuck to their guns, worked the ball through the lines when it looked like KK may get a turnover to get back at them, and got their scores in the end.

TJ was going for the jugular, it's what he does and it's why he's so dangerous, he just doesn't tap over the easy point, he tries to engineer a goal, he managed it once yesterday, but was well chaperoned for the one you're talking about, but he as you say had a point to tap over, but drove on at the Limerick defence, they got the better of him that time...

You can have all the tactics and plans in the world but you need lads with that bit of skill and foresight to revel in it, a lot like Hegarty's goal, flicked into his path by Flannigan, lifted it with the bás, not breaking stride, momentum and sheer power taking him past the defender to rifle a shot into the far side netting against one of the best shot stoppers in the game!

Great stuff altogether.

trailer

At the end the KK lad took a point instead of dropping it in. There was 3 in it. Was a silly choice. Nicky Quaide wasn't going to rush a puck out. Anyone else find that strange?

tonto1888

I thought that was a fantastic game and a great advertisement for hurling. But I struggled trying to figure out what was a free and what wasn't. I came to the conclusion the ref was just each team frees in turns haha

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Was at the game and kk took some sleaps and had to work hard for every free

trailer

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 18, 2022, 04:12:25 PM

I thought the refs whistle was broken. All frees were earned.

johnnycool

Quote from: trailer on July 18, 2022, 04:33:22 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 18, 2022, 04:12:25 PM

I thought the refs whistle was broken. All frees were earned.

Thought the ref gave a few soft frees at the start compared to what he was letting go at the end.

TJ was putting them over for fun in the first half but those types of fouls dried up in the second half.

Guillane took a belt to the side of the head in the second half from Lawlor's hurl, no foul.

All evens out.

gallsman

Not once. Even when they drew level, Limerick airways had an answer for them.

From the Bunker

Quote from: gallsman on July 18, 2022, 05:28:59 PM

Not once. Even when they drew level, Limerick airways had an answer for them.

Reminded me of the Dublin/Mayo football sagas circa 2013-2017.

Saffrongael

I have never seen a team as composed, maybe even more than the great KK team, no matter how tight the situation there was no panic with the ball, and there was *always* at least one option for the player to pass to. I think they will need to regress for anyone to beat them.
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come