Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Pretty simple when it comes to allowing external teams into the Antrim leagues.

The Co Down teams are single code clubs, so there is no issue with clashing or looking for fixtures to be moved. Being frank the 3 teams when they are all in the top league are amongst the best at fulfilling fixtures.

This would not be the case with the Derry sides, they are in the main dual clubs with a serious focus on the football side of things which adds another dimension or issue to the mix. This may be able to be worked around but it would be a challenge.

To be fair the top league if all teams would compete on their merit should be a seriously competitive league as it stands.

Ciall

Quote from: Tyrdub on January 21, 2022, 09:20:19 AM
Quote from: Ciall on January 20, 2022, 11:32:28 PM
Quote from: Tyrdub on January 20, 2022, 08:31:09 AM
Quote from: Ciall on January 19, 2022, 07:49:08 PM
Quote from: Saffsof82 on January 19, 2022, 02:36:57 PM
Quote from: Ciall on January 19, 2022, 12:46:17 PM
Quote from: Saffsof82 on January 19, 2022, 09:06:28 AM
hear the Derry clubs looking back into juvenile and reserve leagues, be a good move for everyone that.

Agreed! There's a vast contrast in ability level within the leagues so this helps even it out a bit more. I think the external counties in our senior hurling leagues are badly needed kept too! I heard tell there was discussions as to whether they should be "kept in." Would be disastrous if they were removed! Eg St Galls and Sarsfields in Div 2 sit well at their level- if we remove the Down teams (for example) from Div 1, you end up with a lot  of mismatches in Div 1 and a waste of time for everyone concerned.
I'd actually suggest pushing to get Slaughtneil etc into our league also to help push our top 4/5 teams on!

yes , 100% right, but heard the chairman not keen on outside clubs

I know he's chair and puts a fair amount of time into it I'm sure, but how could he possibly push through his own agenda without discussing with clubs? Did he even hurl? Or even hurl to a decent level to understand the need to for competitive games rather than drummings? I'd be disappointed to see something like that become real.
Now that is a ridiculous statement. Do you need to play to know what a team needs? Plenty of managers  who have won top level competitions but have never won them as a player.

I didn't ask has he won something. Well aware of successful managers backgrounds.
The point I'm making is- if he hurled for NE in his time, it'll have been at a low standard, likely then without the ards teams or other teams in the league, therefore not knowing the benefit of having these teams in our league. If he's willing to make crass statements and potentially decisions about removing external teams from our leagues, without consulting with players/managers in the leagues affected, them he'd need to have experienced it himself- hence my question! I know now he hasn't, and shouldn't be making calls like that without some form of consultation.

Imagine Leinster didn't allow our hurlers into their league/championship through the years, wed have been complaining all the same.

Away and get your head felt lad, CMcC is a very intelligent man, I think he would have the wherewithal to consult others. I can't see him going on a solo run with something like this.
As for having to have experienced it himself before making this decision, ffs give him some credit. Your statement is akin to not letting lower league clubs send players forward to county teams due them not being of a required standard, if that's the case then Nicky English would never have worn the blue and gold jersey.

As for Leinster....for years they didnt allow us into any of their leagues, juvenile included. Currently they won't allow us to play any games at home, you sure you want to hold at this high standard you're portraying them to be?

If you know the man- which is seeming like you do- then you'd be well aware he loves a solo run! Again- you're not reading what I'm asking and looking stupid in the process. I never said him playing lower league stops him playing county, I said it wouldn't have allowed him to experience the external teams coming into the league.
Regarding your Leinster statement, if we want to play in Leinster then we should have no problem travelling- we have no right to walk into a league/championship and demand home games etc.

Do you support his views on removing the external teams from our leagues then??

Tyrdub

Quote from: Ciall on January 21, 2022, 09:53:33 AM
hear the Derry clubs looking back into juvenile and reserve leagues, be a good move for everyone that.

Agreed! There's a vast contrast in ability level within the leagues so this helps even it out a bit more. I think the external counties in our senior hurling leagues are badly needed kept too! I heard tell there was discussions as to whether they should be "kept in." Would be disastrous if they were removed! Eg St Galls and Sarsfields in Div 2 sit well at their level- if we remove the Down teams (for example) from Div 1, you end up with a lot  of mismatches in Div 1 and a waste of time for everyone concerned.
I'd actually suggest pushing to get Slaughtneil etc into our league also to help push our top 4/5 teams on!

I know he's chair and puts a fair amount of time into it I'm sure, but how could he possibly push through his own agenda without discussing with clubs? Did he even hurl? Or even hurl to a decent level to understand the need to for competitive games rather than drummings? I'd be disappointed to see something like that become real.
Now that is a ridiculous statement. Do you need to play to know what a team needs? Plenty of managers  who have won top level competitions but have never won them as a player.

I didn't ask has he won something. Well aware of successful managers backgrounds.
The point I'm making is- if he hurled for NE in his time, it'll have been at a low standard, likely then without the ards teams or other teams in the league, therefore not knowing the benefit of having these teams in our league. If he's willing to make crass statements and potentially decisions about removing external teams from our leagues, without consulting with players/managers in the leagues affected, them he'd need to have experienced it himself- hence my question! I know now he hasn't, and shouldn't be making calls like that without some form of consultation.

Imagine Leinster didn't allow our hurlers into their league/championship through the years, wed have been complaining all the same.

Away and get your head felt lad, CMcC is a very intelligent man, I think he would have the wherewithal to consult others. I can't see him going on a solo run with something like this.
As for having to have experienced it himself before making this decision, ffs give him some credit. Your statement is akin to not letting lower league clubs send players forward to county teams due them not being of a required standard, if that's the case then Nicky English would never have worn the blue and gold jersey.

As for Leinster....for years they didnt allow us into any of their leagues, juvenile included. Currently they won't allow us to play any games at home, you sure you want to hold at this high standard you're portraying them to be?

If you know the man- which is seeming like you do- then you'd be well aware he loves a solo run! Again- you're not reading what I'm asking and looking stupid in the process. I never said him playing lower league stops him playing county, I said it wouldn't have allowed him to experience the external teams coming into the league.
Regarding your Leinster statement, if we want to play in Leinster then we should have no problem travelling- we have no right to walk into a league/championship and demand home games etc.

Outside teams have been coming into Antrim leagues at all levels for years. 3 down teams, Dungiven and the rest of the Derry teams, Armagh teams applied a lot of years back but nothing came off that. They have played numerous competitions at juvenile level, thanks to NA, against NE. The 3 down teams have all, at some stage, played in Div 2 against NE, Johnneycool would be able to fill you in on when this first took place. CMcC would have seen the input outside clubs have had on the Antrim teams, they have boosted the competition standards for years. Given he never leaves NE, he must be up there every day of the week, he has seen this at first hand. It doesn't take you to have played against outside teams to see their benefit.

As for looking stupid, is that the best you can do? I am really busy today and don't really have time for going backwards and forwards with you, you seem to have an opinion, fully entitled to it, you're welcome to it, I just don't agree with it.

Ciall

Quote from: Tyrdub on January 21, 2022, 10:18:17 AM

Outside teams have been coming into Antrim leagues at all levels for years. 3 down teams, Dungiven and the rest of the Derry teams, Armagh teams applied a lot of years back but nothing came off that. They have played numerous competitions at juvenile level, thanks to NA, against NE. The 3 down teams have all, at some stage, played in Div 2 against NE, Johnneycool would be able to fill you in on when this first took place. CMcC would have seen the input outside clubs have had on the Antrim teams, they have boosted the competition standards for years. Given he never leaves NE, he must be up there every day of the week, he has seen this at first hand. It doesn't take you to have played against outside teams to see their benefit.

As for looking stupid, is that the best you can do? I am really busy today and don't really have time for going backwards and forwards with you, you seem to have an opinion, fully entitled to it, you're welcome to it, I just don't agree with it.

Happy to leave it at that- you've your opinion and I mine. My replies are in response to your suggestion that I was berating lower league players- or people that haven't won something- which isn't the case.
Armagh teams- Cuchullians & Sean Tracey's have been in our leagues for a while at their respective levels.
Think Naomh Eanna enjoyed one year- possibly 2 at Div 2 in recent years before pushing on into Div 1 and I'd say any player within this team will understand the benefits of having the external teams.

nrico2006

Quote from: Ciall on January 21, 2022, 10:50:27 AM

Happy to leave it at that- you've your opinion and I mine. My replies are in response to your suggestion that I was berating lower league players- or people that haven't won something- which isn't the case.
Armagh teams- Cuchullians & Sean Tracey's have been in our leagues for a while at their respective levels.
Think Naomh Eanna enjoyed one year- possibly 2 at Div 2 in recent years before pushing on into Div 1 and I'd say any player within this team will understand the benefits of having the external teams.

Over the years there have been Derry teams in the leagues, think Na Magha were there for a while.  Tyrone teams have also been in there, with Colmcille being in there for a few seasons and maybe Dungannon too.  Strabane also got in, but had to play all their games away.  Sean Treacys from Armagh were in about ten years ago, and they were also then in the South Antrim league a few years back.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

johnnycool

Not sure what I'm being asked here but yes we've played in Div2 several times in our time in Antrim leagues, I played in Div2 once in my time but don't remember playing NE (St Enda's I presume).

FWIW NE have come on leaps and bounds and are rightly in Div1 IMO.

We're still Work In Progress at the minute and not as competitive in Div1 as we want to be hence we want our U17's exposure in Antrim as well and have done the last few years pre Covid as it's a better standard that playing the same teams week in, week out in Down.

I haven't been involved in the financial side of things for a while in the club but we used to pay league fees for the adult teams back in the day and I'm assuming we probably still do.

Saffrongael

Antrim u-17 management team having to beg £100 per club in Antrim. Same old Antrim ?
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Saffrongael on January 22, 2022, 09:57:04 PM
Antrim u-17 management team having to beg £100 per club in Antrim. Same old Antrim ?

What's the normal process for funding?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Dreen

that can't be lead by the county board

Baile an tuaigh

Slaughtneil are hurling like their lives depend on it. Got off to a bad start but have been the better team since. Both teams playing with a sweeper but Slaughtneil forwards have been outstanding Some fantastic catches. Hopefully the fear of loosing will drive them on to victory. Brendan Rodgers should run at that full back line their dodgy enough.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 22, 2022, 10:01:48 PM

Run the County board like a business to generate sufficient income to cover all your overheads without taking it out of clubs.

delgany

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 23, 2022, 03:19:35 PM

Run the County board like a business to generate sufficient income to cover all your overheads without taking it out of clubs.

This request wasnt sanctioned  by county board.
100 % Fit and proper governance.

Ciall

Quote from: delgany on January 23, 2022, 06:04:54 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 23, 2022, 03:19:35 PM

This request wasnt sanctioned  by county board.
100 % Fit and proper governance.

According to the management; Director of Hurling was well aware it was due to happen, who then changed his mind as clubs kicked up stink...
Don't necessarily agree with asking clubs when we already pay a levy, but (again, according to management) the DOH was chopping away at the proposed monetary plans including the team bonding weekend. Money must be managed so we don't go bankrupt, but I'd hope there's been enough income being generated with sponsorships, championships/streams, SBF & ONeills kickbacks to allow a minor team the chance to run properly.

Milltown Row2

So I take it that the county set up from under 14 (old term) up can avail of £100 from the clubs, in both codes?

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

It's these solo runs that need to be cut out.

A manager comes in at the beginning of the year with a plan and a budget to match. Both are then agreed.
If they deviate from this plan then it needs approval from the Co Board.