Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 10, 2022, 11:40:58 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on January 10, 2022, 09:36:46 AM
Quote from: Cannon Fodder on January 09, 2022, 07:55:05 PM
U20 team was physically pushed about by the more mature Donegal team. 6 starters yesterday were U18 so a bit on the light side yet for senior hurling. Donegal the better team on a wet Dunsilly pitch.

Remember this is not U20 v U20

This.

A county the size of Antrim really shouldn't be playing lads with three years left this level. Where's all the U19's and U20's that have went through the various development squads?

FWIW Donegal are a handy team full of good big hurlers so playing Antrim U20's in the middle of January on a heavy pitch and beating them isn't a surprise and if anything Antrim U20's could be better off for it.

Thought they done well to score what they did , they will have learnt more than Donegal

Down just about beat Donegal last night in the final, the bit I watched Donegal were 7 points to the good with 10 minutes to go and were good value for it.

Marky Fisher must have pulled Down out of a hole there with a smashing point from the sideline and a goal from a 20 metre free, hope the wee bollox gets fitter than he was last year

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 20, 2022, 08:36:41 AM
Slaughtneil wouldn't be the same beast in the league as the championship - too many football matches and I don't know how they'd coordinate them. I suppose this applies to Bredagh and Carryduff too mind you but I don't know how dual clubs work with clashes in dual fixtures with their own counties. Not an issue for the ards clubs or some others.

Is someone saying it's going to be an antrim only league? What happens the clubs outside antrim currently in the leagues or am I reading that wrong? If not that'd be a terrible idea...

Antrim wont work for Derry dual players. Our football is Sunday and your hurling is Sunday

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: johnnycool on January 20, 2022, 09:38:48 AM
U20 team was physically pushed about by the more mature Donegal team. 6 starters yesterday were U18 so a bit on the light side yet for senior hurling. Donegal the better team on a wet Dunsilly pitch.

This.

A county the size of Antrim really shouldn't be playing lads with three years left this level. Where's all the U19's and U20's that have went through the various development squads?

FWIW Donegal are a handy team full of good big hurlers so playing Antrim U20's in the middle of January on a heavy pitch and beating them isn't a surprise and if anything Antrim U20's could be better off for it.

Thought they done well to score what they did , they will have learnt more than Donegal

Down just about beat Donegal last night in the final, the bit I watched Donegal were 7 points to the good with 10 minutes to go and were good value for it.

Marky Fisher must have pulled Down out of a hole there with a smashing point from the sideline and a goal from a 20 metre free, hope the wee bollox gets fitter than he was last year

Down done well with 14 men. donegal played as if it was champo final. As i ahve said before this is no reflection of Donegal underage(even though they now have more clubs than Derry) as they had 7 outside men starting

White-Wexford
O'Donaghue-I think Galway
Gartland-Derry City
Gilmore-Tyrone
McGee-down the country
Ryan-Limerick
Flynn-Tipp

Few more to come in an don bench

imtommygunn

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 20, 2022, 10:20:20 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on January 20, 2022, 08:36:41 AM
Slaughtneil wouldn't be the same beast in the league as the championship - too many football matches and I don't know how they'd coordinate them. I suppose this applies to Bredagh and Carryduff too mind you but I don't know how dual clubs work with clashes in dual fixtures with their own counties. Not an issue for the ards clubs or some others.

Is someone saying it's going to be an antrim only league? What happens the clubs outside antrim currently in the leagues or am I reading that wrong? If not that'd be a terrible idea...

Antrim wont work for Derry dual players. Our football is Sunday and your hurling is Sunday

Yeah and then there's county players on top of it. I was thinking that.

johnnycool

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 20, 2022, 10:22:16 AM

This.

Down done well with 14 men. donegal played as if it was champo final. As i ahve said before this is no reflection of Donegal underage(even though they now have more clubs than Derry) as they had 7 outside men starting

White-Wexford
Gartland-Derry City
Gilmore-Tyrone
McGee-down the country
Ryan-Limerick
Flynn-Tipp

Guards?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: johnnycool on January 20, 2022, 10:56:50 AM

This.

White-Wexford
Gartland-Derry City
Gilmore-Tyrone
McGee-down the country
Ryan-Limerick
Flynn-Tipp

Guards?

few teachers, couple northern lads with dodge addresses to play for DL clubs.

nrico2006

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 20, 2022, 11:38:36 AM

This.

White-Wexford
Gartland-Derry City
Gilmore-Tyrone
McGee-down the country
Ryan-Limerick
Flynn-Tipp

Guards?

I believe McGee is local.  Throw in Coulter (Armagh) and Cleary (Offaly) who are also usually involved.

Gilmore plays for them as they are the closest club to him, probably doesn't need a dodgy address.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Milltown Row2

Other players coming in will only drive hurling on, from what I watched Donegal hurled well and did enough to win the game but came undone in the end.

Players need to be pushed for places and you can only do that with numbers and quality coming in, otherwise its the same old same old shit, if I'm not being pushed I'll just do what I need
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 20, 2022, 12:22:05 PM

This.

White-Wexford
Gartland-Derry City
Gilmore-Tyrone
McGee-down the country
Ryan-Limerick
Flynn-Tipp

Guards?

I believe McGee is local.  Throw in Coulter (Armagh) and Cleary (Offaly) who are also usually involved.

Gilmore plays for them as they are the closest club to him, probably doesn't need a dodgy address.
What age would Decky Coulter be? 35ish? Some player for Armagh.

nrico2006

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 20, 2022, 02:05:38 PM

This.

White-Wexford
Gartland-Derry City
Gilmore-Tyrone
McGee-down the country
Ryan-Limerick
Flynn-Tipp

Guards?

What age would Decky Coulter be? 35ish? Some player for Armagh.

Aye, about 34/35. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

This.

White-Wexford
Gartland-Derry City
Gilmore-Tyrone
McGee-down the country
Ryan-Limerick
Flynn-Tipp

Guards?

Oh you do. We had Donegal lads playing with us as their closest club by far-(they wanted to play club with us and county with DL) and them hoors in Burt and Setanta wanted us pulled over ulster council coals-even though they both had boys from other counties playing with them. Gilmore has a DL address(might have moved now but wasnt at start), Gartland lives in Derry City(formerly Na Magha)-facts, concrete facts.

Donegal hurling board are twisted hoors

6 Strabane went to Setanta all at the exact same time, strange that.

nrico2006

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 20, 2022, 03:44:03 PM

This.

White-Wexford
Gartland-Derry City
Gilmore-Tyrone
McGee-down the country
Ryan-Limerick
Flynn-Tipp

Guards?

Oh you do. We had Donegal lads playing with us as their closest club by far-(they wanted to play club with us and county with DL) and them hoors in Burt and Setanta wanted us pulled over ulster council coals-even though they both had boys from other counties playing with them. Gilmore has a DL address(might have moved now but wasnt at start), Gartland lives in Derry City(formerly Na Magha)-facts, concrete facts.

I suppose with the like of Gilmore, there is no club within 20 miles of his house in Tyrone therefore Setanta would be the logical choice and unlikely to be any contention with that move. Him and other Strabane players went together as their senior team folded and still haven't came back.  Gilmore would have always had a Donegal address too as his family are from Raphoe.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 20, 2022, 07:38:03 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 20, 2022, 03:44:03 PM

This.

White-Wexford
Gartland-Derry City
Gilmore-Tyrone
McGee-down the country
Ryan-Limerick
Flynn-Tipp

Guards?

I suppose with the like of Gilmore, there is no club within 20 miles of his house in Tyrone therefore Setanta would be the logical choice and unlikely to be any contention with that move. Him and other Strabane players went together as their senior team folded and still haven't came back.  Gilmore would have always had a Donegal address too as his family are from Raphoe.

Yeah I've no issue with that , it is the double standards .

Ciall

Quote from: Tyrdub on January 20, 2022, 08:31:09 AM
Quote from: Ciall on January 19, 2022, 07:49:08 PM
Quote from: Saffsof82 on January 19, 2022, 02:36:57 PM
Quote from: Ciall on January 19, 2022, 12:46:17 PM
Quote from: Saffsof82 on January 19, 2022, 09:06:28 AM
hear the Derry clubs looking back into juvenile and reserve leagues, be a good move for everyone that.

Agreed! There's a vast contrast in ability level within the leagues so this helps even it out a bit more. I think the external counties in our senior hurling leagues are badly needed kept too! I heard tell there was discussions as to whether they should be "kept in." Would be disastrous if they were removed! Eg St Galls and Sarsfields in Div 2 sit well at their level- if we remove the Down teams (for example) from Div 1, you end up with a lot  of mismatches in Div 1 and a waste of time for everyone concerned.
I'd actually suggest pushing to get Slaughtneil etc into our league also to help push our top 4/5 teams on!

yes , 100% right, but heard the chairman not keen on outside clubs

I know he's chair and puts a fair amount of time into it I'm sure, but how could he possibly push through his own agenda without discussing with clubs? Did he even hurl? Or even hurl to a decent level to understand the need to for competitive games rather than drummings? I'd be disappointed to see something like that become real.
Now that is a ridiculous statement. Do you need to play to know what a team needs? Plenty of managers  who have won top level competitions but have never won them as a player.

I didn't ask has he won something. Well aware of successful managers backgrounds.
The point I'm making is- if he hurled for NE in his time, it'll have been at a low standard, likely then without the ards teams or other teams in the league, therefore not knowing the benefit of having these teams in our league. If he's willing to make crass statements and potentially decisions about removing external teams from our leagues, without consulting with players/managers in the leagues affected, them he'd need to have experienced it himself- hence my question! I know now he hasn't, and shouldn't be making calls like that without some form of consultation.

Imagine Leinster didn't allow our hurlers into their league/championship through the years, wed have been complaining all the same.

Tyrdub

Quote from: Ciall on January 20, 2022, 11:32:28 PM
Quote from: Tyrdub on January 20, 2022, 08:31:09 AM
Quote from: Ciall on January 19, 2022, 07:49:08 PM
Quote from: Saffsof82 on January 19, 2022, 02:36:57 PM
Quote from: Ciall on January 19, 2022, 12:46:17 PM
Quote from: Saffsof82 on January 19, 2022, 09:06:28 AM
hear the Derry clubs looking back into juvenile and reserve leagues, be a good move for everyone that.

Agreed! There's a vast contrast in ability level within the leagues so this helps even it out a bit more. I think the external counties in our senior hurling leagues are badly needed kept too! I heard tell there was discussions as to whether they should be "kept in." Would be disastrous if they were removed! Eg St Galls and Sarsfields in Div 2 sit well at their level- if we remove the Down teams (for example) from Div 1, you end up with a lot  of mismatches in Div 1 and a waste of time for everyone concerned.
I'd actually suggest pushing to get Slaughtneil etc into our league also to help push our top 4/5 teams on!

yes , 100% right, but heard the chairman not keen on outside clubs

I know he's chair and puts a fair amount of time into it I'm sure, but how could he possibly push through his own agenda without discussing with clubs? Did he even hurl? Or even hurl to a decent level to understand the need to for competitive games rather than drummings? I'd be disappointed to see something like that become real.
Now that is a ridiculous statement. Do you need to play to know what a team needs? Plenty of managers  who have won top level competitions but have never won them as a player.

I didn't ask has he won something. Well aware of successful managers backgrounds.
The point I'm making is- if he hurled for NE in his time, it'll have been at a low standard, likely then without the ards teams or other teams in the league, therefore not knowing the benefit of having these teams in our league. If he's willing to make crass statements and potentially decisions about removing external teams from our leagues, without consulting with players/managers in the leagues affected, them he'd need to have experienced it himself- hence my question! I know now he hasn't, and shouldn't be making calls like that without some form of consultation.

Imagine Leinster didn't allow our hurlers into their league/championship through the years, wed have been complaining all the same.

Away and get your head felt lad, CMcC is a very intelligent man, I think he would have the wherewithal to consult others. I can't see him going on a solo run with something like this.
As for having to have experienced it himself before making this decision, ffs give him some credit. Your statement is akin to not letting lower league clubs send players forward to county teams due them not being of a required standard, if that's the case then Nicky English would never have worn the blue and gold jersey.

As for Leinster....for years they didnt allow us into any of their leagues, juvenile included. Currently they won't allow us to play any games at home, you sure you want to hold at this high standard you're portraying them to be?